How does our front differential work? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got an 09 with a rear ARB air locker and I noticed in a video someone took that both my front tires are spinning while slipping through the mud and raising off the ground. People kept talking about how I have a front locker which I dont and I didn’t understand why they kept asking.

I understood this to be the case but until now id never seen it on my own rig on video. Im having a hard time explaining to others WHY it works as if I have a front LSD when I don't and all I can find googling it is people selling parts...

If anyone has any insight I’d love to hear it!
Thanks,
Buck

It's an open diff, but it sounds like the ATRAC system was doing it's thing as designed by applying some braking to the faster spinning wheel to send torque to the slower spinning wheel.

In mud, this works pretty darn well as you found out. Not so great for hardcore rock crawling but that's not what a 470 is good for anyway. 👍

Ah ATRACS working as it should then. I just read a little more and they said what I was already thinking: that it works like a simulated LSD. I’ve always seen it as a hinderance when it applies breaking in the mud and its like I cant move anywhere. But if Im already moving or if my rear locker lets me get above that threshold of it killing me, it works great and I cant even hear it. Rock crawling is too slow then which is why it doesn't work as good. I wonder how good it would be complementary to an actual LSD 🤔

Ah ATRACS working as it should then. I just read a little more and they said what I was already thinking: that it works like a simulated LSD. I’ve always seen it as a hinderance when it applies breaking in the mud and its like I cant move anywhere. But if Im already moving or if my rear locker lets me get above that threshold of it killing me, it works great and I cant even hear it. Rock crawling is too slow then which is why it doesn't work as good. I wonder how good it would be complementary to an actual LSD 🤔

I'm theory, ATRAC should work really well with a Torsen style LSD. The torque bias ratio would multiply the effect of the ATRAC braking and send even more torque to the wheel with traction.

OR... The ATRAC computer would freak out and it would fail miserably. Who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom