How big a trailer can a stock fj60 haul? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't recommend this but luckily was only 20 miles to the scrap yard

View attachment 2724988

View attachment 2724990
I have done this as well and I will second the DO NOT DO. The rigs pull them noooo problem, stopping is a whole new butthole puckering adventure.

if your going to do the trailer thing it needs to be less than 1k lbs loaded with all the gear.

whitey45 in post #2 said it best 60’s shouldn’t even have receivers, everyone over pulls or expects too much out of them.

This is the only time a 60 should be in tow mode🤣, I tow all the time, and have the appropriate tow vehicle!!

4A800312-8469-404C-883E-D2E2BC97CF2C.png

$3,950 is almost what I paid for my truck... but it’s also way less than a lot of people paid for theirs... so...

I want to take a rear 60 axle and mount it to a light frame and build a box ontop of it for a camper. But I also built a storage/sleeping platform in the back of my truck and I can’t justify towing anything now.
Check your local MVD laws first. Many states like AZ will not pass a trailer with truck axles anymore. Especially with C-clip axles

Check your local MVD laws first. Many states like AZ will not pass a trailer with truck axles anymore. Especially with C-clip axles
I did not know states were cracking down. Most trailers (pickup bed) with truck axles I have seen were in FL hauling oranges. Usually the truck frame was cut and a tongue added, sketchy as hell. Often being towed by a random four door sedan with the top cut off, stacked with crates. No inspection in FL.
Trailer axles, with brakes can be had for under $500.00. They weigh far less than that truck axle and the truck springs are very stiff for a light trailer even with only one leaf.

I bet they don’t give a s*** in Wyoming....

8BBD80A6-9E95-4475-993B-A99DCCC1528A.jpeg

This was a heavy tow. Won’t do again.

Doesn’t indicate the tow speed though. 7700 lbs at 10 mph?
with a 2H yeah thats possible.

I found about 1500 lbs without brakes was ok for my bj60 when already (over)loaded. Empty pulls more but dont really need it for that anymore

DSC_0320a.jpg

Mine pulls this restored Bantam all day (and stops with little effort) even with 33's on the otherwise stock drivetrain. Maybe 600-700 lbs. loaded. I wouldn't pull anything more than that with it however.

View attachment 2726083
View attachment 2726084
That thing is cool! Yeah, I wouldn’t go any bigger than that. Like was mentioned before, if you NEED to tow, buy or rent a tow vehicle.

What receivers are yall mounting on your 60series?
I am doing a lot of reading tonight on towing, and understand it's not up to the task to do a lot (I have a 62 with the EFI engine, auto tranny), but I WOULD like to haul a motorcycle or jetski occasionally, for example.

This 4k lb camper is a bit too much for stock springs and engine. Old Man Emu heavies and a Cummins 4bt make it better.

20220415_173344.jpg

What receivers are yall mounting on your 60series?

I used this one:

Amazon product ASIN B000765DW2
Its not a perfect fit and required slight modification to work. The mounts for the hitch lines up with the 60 frame and some of the factory holes. Had to drill a hole on each side and had to elongate one of the hitch holes. Wouldn't underestimate that steel. Two holes into the frame took 4 big box drill bits and most of the day to drill. The other factory holes lined up fine. Also needed the bumper spacer you see as the bumper mount didn't come up flush with the bumper. Fairly common on these:

IMG_5380.jpg
IMG_5382.jpg
IMG_5383.jpg

BTB products makes a hitch specific for the 60 series:

Pricey though but clean install.

Good thread with options:

HTH.

Last edited:
We tow a 19 foot Glastron ski boat and a 24 foot party barge. No problems in Arkansas mountains. 4 speed ole man emus heavy springs.Cruiser well cared for no rust etc. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom