How bad is your gas mileage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I seem to be a the pump A LOT with my new to me LX570. At first I figured that it was due to a heavy foot and getting used to the vehicle. However this weekend I had a long highway drive and return about 11.5mpg. Granted I'm running heavy. Where is everybody else falling on real world MPG?

Culprits:
Heavy: ARB Deluxe Bull front bumper with Warn 9.5xp winch, ARB rear bumper
Taller: BFG K02s 275/55/20s
Fat: it's an LX, so lots of "creature comforts"
Seasonal: Winter Blend 93 octane fuel in the Midwest

You are not alone. Wait until you have rock sliders and a lift then you will be begging for auxiliary tank. Speaking of which, if you are interested to talk @wardharris

Not uncommon at all. Low mpg is probably the 200's only real negative trait. I suspect the winter blend is not helping.

I've been getting ~12.5mpg combined driving lately; 80% city, 20% highway. No matter how much I try to baby the gas pedal, the mpg still stinks. Chalk it up to the nature of the beast and enjoy the ride!

With the winter blend its getting around 14.5, summer blend its closer to 15.5 maybe 16 mpg. This would be 80% highway / 20% city

The good news is its crazy comfortably and built like a tank.

So I seem to be a the pump A LOT with my new to me LX570. At first I figured that it was due to a heavy foot and getting used to the vehicle. However this weekend I had a long highway drive and return about 11.5mpg. Granted I'm running heavy. Where is everybody else falling on real world MPG?

Culprits:
Heavy: ARB Deluxe Bull front bumper with Warn 9.5xp winch, ARB rear bumper
Taller: BFG K02s 275/55/20s
Fat: it's an LX, so lots of "creature comforts"
Seasonal: Winter Blend 93 octane fuel in the Midwest
The front winch bar is what's reducing most of your fuel economy. All that wind that the stock bumper cover was pushing to the sides and over the truck, is slamming into the front fender wheels and cause a ton of drag. And going from a passenger tire to a light truck tire will help reduce another 1-2 mpg. I've done extensive testing on a lot of different variables with this. The plus is nothing is wrong with your truck.

I can live with the fuel cost, it's the lack of range that is problematic... Needs at least a 35 gal main tank.

Anyone have real-world MPG change data with plugs or O2 sensor R&R?

If you want some extended reading on the topic, using the search term "mpg" returns 99 pages of posts on gas mileage. And pretty much all of those posts are laments :censor:

I can live with the fuel cost, it's the lack of range that is problematic... Needs at least a 35 gal main tank.

Anyone have real-world MPG change data with plugs or O2 sensor R&R?

I do, and no change was found. This is from my tuning computer, not from how I "feel" about how the truck is now running. That said, the accuracy of the sensors was getting a little off, but still not enough to make too much of a bad change in the A/F ratio.

I change my sensors every 100k, but honestly I feel that the sensors on my 200 could of gone 250k before maybe actually needed a change. Possible longer.

I'm happy if I see anything above 10 on mine. Really thought something was wrong with it at first but nope, that's just how she runs. I'm pretty sure you could drill a hole in the tank of a prius and still get better MPG than a LC. It's amazing that the two cars are made by the same company.

- 20,712 miles and 1358 gallons used = 15.37 mpg
- I am at 36% highway.
- Best tank = 246mi and 15.815 gal = 18.29 mpg (to Holbrook AZ from outside ABQ)
- Worst tank = 254mi and 20.263 gal = 12.54 mpg (100% short town trips here in COS on winter fuel)

(love the road trip app for this sort of data).

Saving grace is gas is cheap! Though sure would be nice to go farther between visiting the pump.

No one should be doing worse than 10-11mpg. As that's what I get hauling a lifted (3") 7500lb travel trailer around. With my LX having 33" 305mm wide Falken Wildpeaks.

My MPG is not much different than most report. I did get trapped in a 50mph construction zone once outside of Chicago for 85 miles. I had topped off just before the zone. During that time the calculated MPG was 25. I was shocked. It was the only good thing about an 85 mile long construction zone. Velocity and air resistance are not linearly related.

My MPG is not much different than most report. I did get trapped in a 50mph construction zone once outside of Chicago for 85 miles. I had topped off just before the zone. During that time the calculated MPG was 25. I was shocked. It was the only good thing about an 85 mile long construction zone. Velocity and air resistance are not linearly related.

I've found it interesting/surprising that when stuck at lower speeds, the MPG seems almost unaffected. Whether I'm on a 40MPH road just cruising along, or on a freeway cruising along, my MPG doesn't change much, and sometimes is actually better on slower roads, so long as I'm not braking/accelerating all the time. I get the parts where I can partially maintain 6th gear where there is no resistance...but what's surprising is when I'm definitely in 4th or 5th...or even 3rd...and gentle cruising still maintains MPG. Seems like flat driving renders similar MPG almost no matter what speed I maintain so long as it's steady. Seems illogical.

Last edited:
Completely stock '16 here. In real city traffic (lots of stop and go), I get about 9 mpg. On the interstate, I typically get 17-18. In higher altitudes during the summer on relatively flat interstates (e.g., I-40 in New Mexico), I get 20-21 mpg running at about 85 mph indicated. I have no idea why, but I saw this over the course of several tanks and traveling both directions.

I have a good mix of 70% highway and 30% city, Blizzak 285 50 20, 3rd row removed and consistency get 15.5mpg. We only have 91oct here in Canada where I am. In the summer I average 16.2 mpg on stock Michelins on my 09 LX

The last extended drive I made I discovered that 75mph ~ got me the best blend between speed and mpg. I got 15 @ 70, 14.5 @75, 11.5 @ 80. I just set the cruise at 75 and rolled on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom