Hot Tips for Long Trips in a BJ74! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there, this is my first post in this forum.
I've found myself here several times when looking for answers to my BJ74 questions so I figured I should just join. I'm so grateful for the wealth of info and knowledge in this community.

In September last year I finally bought a BJ74! A short wheel base Cruiser had been my dream car for some time but I just wasn't finding one in good enough condition at the right price so resigned myself to it remaining a 'one day' thing for me.

Then I came across this old girl! She's a 1986, BJ74, Turbo Diesel with 200,000kms on her, garaged her whole life, only a couple of owners and in mint condition!
Since getting her I've done a fire bit of work on her. She's a year older than I am so needed a refresh of parts and her turbo needed rebuilding, just got her back yesterday after a month in the shop and OMG, what a dream!
On top of this work, she also spend a month with the auto elec when I first got her because her ignition barrel stuck in the 'on' position and cooked the starter motor so that needed replacing and then to get it insured I had to get an alarm system, immobiliser and GPS tracking system installed. At the same time I got the dual battery set up put in and some outlets in the back and an anderson plug put on for charging my caravan battery too. It's been a pricey time already but she's now ready for her first long trip and it's nice to know I've got her ready for that.

Next week we're taking off to Alice Springs from Newcastle for a 3 month work contract in the Central Australian Desert. I'm so excited to get her out on the open road (she hates living in town).

I've done this drive a number of times in a few kinds of cars, a Mazda 3, a Daihatsu Feroza (one of THE BEST cars!) and a Holden Colorardo but doing in this Cruiser is the most exciting because it feels like drives like this are what these cars were made for!

I'm wondering how others here have gone doing long trips like this and particularly in Australia.

I'd love any hot tips you have for taking these machines on the road and and what your long distance driving hacks are?

I'll have a small trailer on the back for sleeping in, which I'm happy about because the only downside to the BJ74 is that it's just a little to small for sleeping in with gear as well.

1.jpg

Welcome to the madness. First, install a egt and separate water temp gauge. Maybe even a engine watch dog(google it). Then make sure the cooling system is in top shape, if still original radiator then it might need a good look at (rodded?). Fresh hoses. If you plan on any night driving probably a good set of spotties. Maybe join some of the Ausie Facebook groups for 70 series and ask there.

Welcome to the madness. First, install a egt and separate water temp gauge. Maybe even a engine watch dog(google it). Then make sure the cooling system is in top shape, if still original radiator then it might need a good look at (rodded?). Fresh hoses. If you plan on any night driving probably a good set of spotties. Maybe join some of the Ausie Facebook groups for 70 series and ask there.
Heya, thanks for that info.
I will google that stuff and do a little more learning. I did get the mechanic to replace all the hoses on it but we didn't have a conversation about the radiator itself. I'm no mechanic but I asked them to go over it with a fine tooth comb and we have a long list of things we're going to do to it in the long term but we got everything done on that list that was necessary for this particular trip.
It already has spotties and a light bar on it. It's such a luxury to have such good night vision!

What do you drive?

I've been to apy lands south of alice.

Split rims can cause blow outs with the fine dust sand, but you have solid mags, very flash indeed. A second spare tyre can be good.

I recommend the aussie engine watchdog guard.
Make sure your radiator, pump, and viscous fan and fluids are good.

I have heard of folks having probs with electrics due to the dust and vibrations. Glow plugs. Good battery/s.

Taking your tojo some shorter trips not too far from civilization is a good idea before you go. Say 2000km.

At least winter time is not too hot, but very cold at night.
It is easy to be 400km from anywhere out there. Very good stars, makes you feel small.
Drinking water is good to take as the bore water can give tummy havoc.
There are very good mechanics out there, but parts take a lifetime to come.
You are up for an adventure for sure!

I'd love any hot tips you have for taking these machines on the road and and what your long distance driving hacks are?
The most comfortable tyres and the best suspension. If thats a bit too expensive, get some good shockies. Im not sure how you would do it, but one of those shade awnings on the side of the landcruiser sure comes in handy. Take a Waeco (dometic) 50 litre with solar panels.

Not sure how tall you are, but I'm 6'5" so extending the seat made a huge difference in comfort.

Spares, things that can ruin your trip/engine like belts/heater hose and repair kits, tire plugs, extra oil and water cooling, tool kit. Things that you can pretty easily fix but without them you are stuck or in big trouble.

These are 30 years old, something is bound to happen so prep as best you can. Sounds fun!

When in doubt park on a hill and bump start if needed. I always carry an axle nut socket , grease gun and grease, hopefully you have a solar panel.
Good booster cables can be used to weld...ideally 3 batteries in series and start your trucks before welding. Air/manual air pump, tire repair kits.
Beer and a decent Whiskey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom