Hot temps when crawling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Remember that when the engine coolant is hotter, the transmission temp also rises. That day I ran AC while on the Rubicon my trans temp went up to 175 before I turned the AC off. Not only are higher temps not good for transmission life, more heat is radiated up into the cabin floor. So your head might be cooler with the AC on but your feet probably won’t be.
I hear you, but I do what I have to to make sure the engine doesn't get overly hot. With the A/C on.

Sure, more air is better. Most electric fans don't move much air though, and putting one in front of the A/C condenser is not going to do a lot for the radiator. I have one (from a 100 series), the effect is minimal. I plan to put on two larger ones, but mostly for the A/C. A hand throttle is cheap and will take less time to install than a fan, and will do more for you. The downside is that it's not automatic.
Can you advise on the Toyota Hand Throttle part number? I want to do this not only for cooling, but for winching or jump-starting.

Can you advise on the Toyota Hand Throttle part number? I want to do this not only for cooling, but for winching or jump-starting.
Nope, I used a generic one. There are threads on it. Looks like factory. You do have to provide a clamp for the pedal end.

Ebay has them....... link
Mine was like $15, but that one certainly looks easier to install and higher quality. At the time, I didn't know how much use I'd get from it so I wasn't willing to pay much, but the mod is easily worth that. Looks plug-n-play, where mine was cut-to-fit and add parts.

Mine was like $15, but that one certainly looks easier to install and higher quality. At the time, I didn't know how much use I'd get from it so I wasn't willing to pay much, but the mod is easily worth that. Looks plug-n-play, where mine was cut-to-fit and add parts.
There is one thing to note. When I installed mine, they warned that the existing throttle pedal bracket needed to be the correct version. It was something simple, but I can't recall what exactly it was. Mine was correct, so it was a fairly easy install, although my contortionist abilities are fading.....:rolleyes:

Hi, Is your front skid plate still on? It helps with air flow. Mike

There is one thing to note. When I installed mine, they warned that the existing throttle pedal bracket needed to be the correct version. It was something simple, but I can't recall what exactly it was. Mine was correct, so it was a fairly easy install, although my contortionist abilities are fading.....:rolleyes:
There is a bracket on the pedal rod from the factory on all the ones I've seen, made for a hand throttle, but it may not be on all 80's.

Hi, Is your front skid plate still on? It helps with air flow.

I do have the skid plate installed.

Because hand throttles matter! Hit up @ranma21. I got mine from home a few years ago for like $40.

There is a bracket on the pedal rod from the factory on all the ones I've seen, made for a hand throttle, but it may not be on all 80's.
I'm with you on that. To refresh my memory, I went and got a pic. The bracket looks welded on to the main pedal rod, so I would imagine there are some running around with out it. I just remember seeing the warning.
IMG_1497a.JPG

Add some hood louvers

When I was younger and poorer, my FJ40 had marginal cooling and I could not afford to fix it proper. I put in a bottle of water wetter and it made enough of a difference that I could continue to drive the rig in summer until I saved up the money to fix it. Even since then, I put it in every rig when I service the radiator. Good stuff

You might consider adding a real temp gauge as well. You really have no real idea where you are at right now.

hood louvers have served me well thus far with heat soak from the turbo. might be something to consider if you're not opposed to cutting into your hood. It's an easy deal and the end results, to my eye, are fantastic. between that and switching out the fan clutch oil to 30K CST you can feel the heat being pushed out not only by the wheel wells, but also the hood vents. it does make a difference.

Last edited:
................You might consider adding a real temp gauge as well. You really have no real idea where you are at right now.
If you read the 1st post, the OP has done the RT temp gauge mod and has checked with an infrared thermometer. I think he has a handle on his temps. The RT mod on the OEM gauge is reliable, when you learn how to read it - even though there's no digital readout.

If you read the 1st post, the OP has done the RT temp gauge mod and has checked with an infrared thermometer. I think he has a handle on his temps. The RT mod on the OEM gauge is reliable, when you learn how to read it - even though there's no digital readout.
I disagree. While I agree that the mod is a great mod and makes the gauge work great (and I agree that you don't need numbers / digital), without some sort of calibration or other corroboration, I don't think you can 100% trust it. It may very well be working correctly but the sending unit is old, etc. and so there still is some level of uncertainty. Probably just me, but I like something that actually is in the water reading the temp rather than a IR gun. JMHO.

I disagree. While I agree that the mod is a great mod and makes the gauge work great (and I agree that you don't need numbers / digital), without some sort of calibration or other corroboration, I don't think you can 100% trust it. It may very well be working correctly but the sending unit is old, etc. and so there still is some level of uncertainty. Probably just me, but I like something that actually is in the water reading the temp rather than a IR gun. JMHO.
Do you have any examples of a RavenTai modified OEM 80 series temp gauge failing? I haven't heard or read of a failure. When the OEM gauge is returned to a true reading temp gauge, I believe it's as reliable and accurate as any Toyota temp gauge. Please tell me of ANY automotive part you can rely on 100%. It wouldn't hurt to have a redundant temp gauge, but that's splitting hairs and quite anal, unless there's evidence of inaccuracy. The only reasonable area of concern IMHO, is IF the person that modified the gauge was incompetant or botched it up. It is a delicate electronic part, that should have experienced hands doing the mod. I modified my gauge & was an electronics tech, in one form or another, my whole career and rely solely on my modified gauge for my 1FZ's temp status. I trust it for what it does and have no reason not to.

Do you have any examples of a RavenTai modified OEM 80 series temp gauge failing? I haven't heard or read of a failure. When the OEM gauge is returned to a true reading temp gauge, I believe it's as reliable and accurate as any Toyota temp gauge. Please tell me of ANY automotive part you can rely on 100%. It wouldn't hurt to have a redundant temp gauge, but that's splitting hairs and quite anal, unless there's evidence of inaccuracy. The only reasonable area of concern IMHO, is IF the person that modified the gauge was incompetant or botched it up. It is a delicate electronic part, that should have experienced hands doing the mod. I modified my gauge & was an electronics tech, in one form or another, my whole career and rely solely on my modified gauge for my 1FZ's temp status. I trust it for what it does and have no reason not to.
I am not disagreeing with you at all. I think that is a great mod and makes the stock gauge usable. Toyota really blew it with the factory configuration and this fixes that issue. My only thought here was that the gauge reads very hot yet no boil over or A/C kicking off? It just makes me think that in this case, perhaps the gauge is reading high and that another temp reading would help for calibration purposes. It would be nice to know what temp it is at when it gets to the red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom