Homemade Bumper Pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser said:
ahh it can be done you just have to add a support brace. the best way to do it with out losing any strength is to cut the hole slightly larger then what you want, then find pipe the size of the light you want weld it in the hole and it gives you a perfect cut hole with the added strength.

Exactly.

concerning leaves----huge fire hazard, still not motivated to rake

concerning weight----heavy as hell

concerning spindle----the rockstomper spindles are not their own, go to any trailer fab shop and they have the same spindles, my shop has 2" and 1". I'm gunna do the 1" as I know people who use the 1" "rockstomper" spindle without a prob. i believe much of the concern with spindle deficits could be alleviated if people built stronger bumpers. i have never personaly seen an 80 series production bumper (slee, 4x4labs, hanna, etc) but have seen many for heeps that had a lot of flex at the spindle. i dont see how some of these carriers hold when they have so much flex.

I watched at Harbor Freight until they put their Milwaukee chop saw on sale, and bought that. Couldn't be happier. And those little 4.5" grinders are the best $9.99 I've ever spent.

Wow, that is awesome. Looking at those puddles is making me giddie!!! I love how you fabricated it with the wrap around sides, very nice. Be ready for orders cause your bound to get some. :cheers:

Wow! Great job!

I have the same welder as you!!! its a great unit... as for the bumper you make it look way way to easy. built a few rears this last summer and ive decided on the internet everything looks like a piece of cake..... lets just say theres a reason why these things cost a grand, they take a long time to do...

looks good
mike

Tell me that isn't just a 110v wire feed you're doing that with? If it is I'm going to be pissed at my poor welding skills! Two damn spools of wire I've been through and I still suckish!

sonoranfun said:
Tell me that isn't just a 110v wire feed you're doing that with? If it is I'm going to be pissed at my poor welding skills! Two damn spools of wire I've been through and I still suckish!

Looks like Dusty has welded through more than a couple spools to be laying down beads like that (that's a compliment Dusty!) ;)

i need to go to utah and california on friday. i want the bumper on the truck for the trip. i will paint it and mount and post some pics. i wil have to work on the tire carrier later. i also didnt get to cut out the dring attachments yet-note they are still big blocks of steel. i drilled some holes in the bumper for a pintle hitch-these holes will bolt through to the rear crossmember. i will also get the weight

IMO, there are 2 reasons spindles break in this application. 1) manufacturing defect in the spindle and 2) Welding of the spindle to the bumper. I'm not saying that the spindle cannot be welded to the bumper, but I believe that the heat from the welding creates dissimilar strengths in the spindle making for a weak point.

On the last bumper I built I didn't want to deal with welding the spindle to the bumper, and I wanted a removeable carrier, so I made the spindle removeable. I did this by using a spindle w/ a square base and by using a piece of square tube w/ the same ID as the OD of the spindle base. This way the whole carrier slid in and out of the bumper. Here, pics are more helpful in explaining this.

Here you can see the square hole in the bumper that was created using 2" Square x .250 wall tubing.
101-0179_AUT.JPG

The spindle base is 1.5"x1.5" square and made for a semi-press-fit(required the hi-lift to press in and out). Here's the bumper w/ both carriers on it before paint:
101-0192_AUT.jpg

Just some food for thought for those thinking about doing their own bumpers.

Ary

That looks great.

Keep the pictures coming.

I like how you've used c-channels and angles to limit (eliminate?) any bending. You've given me renewed hope that I can build my own.

Quick question on steel:
SLEE uses 80 grade stuff. I get the impression that most home-made bumpers don't use the 80 grade steel. What are you using, what are the options, and is their really a practical difference?

Hayes

...another question:

On the rear face of the bumper--where the rear c-channel meets the vertically offset side c-channels--did you just cut and paste a small piece of steel into that gap (seen in the first few photos) to finish the rear face?

Hayes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom