Homemade Bumper Pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

concerning steel grade: slee uses a harder steel-this is better and stronger and if i had it around and could afford it i would buy it and use it. that said, i believe my combo of channel, and 1/4 inch will hold fine. if i had the money laying around I would get a slee---however it's sure fun to shape steel.

concerning the said gap seen in pic #6: it's only about 3/16" and filled easy-also the 3/16 top plate covers this and is also welded to the "wing" channel. note also that the corner is essentially a small box atop a larger box open only on the back side.

The bumper look like it is going great .Very good job I hope mine comes out that good.

dude, thats kick ass!

Dusty, I hadn't added a latch yet in that pic, and it's the one thing I really didn't like about the bumper when it was done. It was definately an afterthought, but functioned ok. I cut the ends of the two swingouts like this // if you were looking from above. The tire carrier held the jerry can carrier shut. I figured I'd never run the jerry can carrier w/o the tire carrier, but would probably run the tire carrier w/o the jerry can carrier. That way I only had to fumble with one latch to get the tailgate open.

I'll see if I can find another pic w/ the latch, just for reference purposes.

Edit: You can kinda see the latch in this pic. It was originally intended to be a temporary deal until I had time to do the much more complex latch system I wanted to do figured out and fabricated. However I ended up selling the truck before I finished it.
Coal%20Hill%203.jpg

Ary

Last edited:
Dusty said:
i baught a latch but wont be using the tire carrier often. thought about just using a 1/2" bolt with a tee on the end-strongest latch i can think of

I've seen this on a few vehicles and agree that it's very secure, but everyone I talked to said they just ended up never going in the tailgate 'cause it was too much of a PITA.

My plan was to use a car door latch and striker but never got around to it.

Ary

Dusty,

The "gap" I was asking about is the one that is right here in the early photos:

Dusty%20Bumper%201%20copy.jpg

Did you just cut a piece of steel to fit and weld it in? I can't see any kind of seam.
Of course, I know nothing about welding.

Hayes

Now to "deal with" the tail pipe. That's gonna last about 15 minutes on the trail......:D

i think those of us with the lx450 have it easier when building rear bumbers since we have a tad more of a over lap in the rear with the boddy cladding. I dig the bumper one thing you may want to consider (you may have already) is to morph the wings into the fender flare a little bit. make it follow the body lines a bit better.

mike
PICT0018.jpg

dusty, can you get a far away shot? I'm trying to decide what my truck would look like in two-tone w/ a black bumper. Considering doing the line-x on the rockers/wheel arches in the grey color, and my 80 is the same color green. Color-matching my future bumpers to the line-x would be a PITA I think though, so I want to see what it looks like w/ black bumpers.

Thanks

concerning the low lying exhaust issue-i baught a new sawz all blade a couple weeks ago when i started this project. i laid under the cruiser for a half hour developing a plan for the bumper. my finger was on the trigger of the sawzall and i almost cut when I thought aloud "my wife tolerates all this stuff I do to the cruiser because she thinks I'm making it better and perhaps safer but if it gets loud the party may be over" and I put the saw down. in the near future i wil graduate from my residency and this rig will get hard core but now it only sees lots of open road trips that often lead to mild expedition. we also do lots of travelinig in the winter and have used the lockers on several occasions-usually to dislodge lesser trucks. i hope on an upcoming trip I mash the resonator on some stump and can remove it with the hack saw in the cruiser-so it will get no protection. In 3 weeks im getting my parents lifted 94 grand cherokee for free and i will punish it severely-this will have to sufice for now.

arya-i will try and get a distance shot in good lighting if i can get back from work in time

lx: i admit my bumper doesnt tie into the flare well. I left a good gap for when I get 315's. i was hoping the oem mud flaps would serve as transition to the bumper but tonite i put them on (in the dark at work with a flashlight no less) and they look stupid-huge gaping mouth that the bumper cant fill. tom night at work i may just bolt on some pepboys el cheapo flaps. if i do this i may be able to fab something to tie the flaps to the bumper-but i wont use steel-already heavy enough. and that wing you is fabing is trick-lots of angles and lots o gussets-can he finish it? hmmmm

Thanks Dusty.
I was starting to feel like an idot. I get it. I thought that was what you did, but I wasn't sure.

The finished product looks outstanding.

I'm gearing up for a rear-bumper project with my father (and his welding experience), and I might pirate some of your ideas--if you don't mind.

Looks great.

By the way, what is the typical diameter of the recovery-point holes?

And another question: Does shortening your tailpipe by even a couple inches really affect the sound of your exhaust that much?

Hayes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom