hole in the head (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a '91 landcruiser with the inline 6 engine and it is pouring oil from a small intentional hole in head about 3/4 back near the top on the passenger side ( hidden by two metal coolant lines ). Has anyone ever seen this? I take off the valve cover and found an oil passage in the head casting that goes from the rocker shaft mounting pedastle, through a head bolt hole, continuing directly to atmosphere. This hole is roughly 3/16" diam. It comes out at a 45degree angle towards the rear and is not threaded. With the engine runnung, oil literally pours out. Engine off- no leak.
Is it an oil passage normally blocked for the 91 model year? Is it something used for Euro. or Ausie applications? I think it was plugged originally and it decayed or fell out over the past 190000 miles.
I can find no external oil lines, tubes, hoses nor evidence of tampering or modification.
Can I just block it and be on my way?
I really love my landcruiser and hope someone can help!

P. S. red, 2" lift, 31 12.50 procomps, 15x10 black simulocks

It sounds like you have a correct theory, I suggest you post this up here in the 80's forum. There will you find a guru who can help you... otherwise, is it possible you can take a picture and post it up as well? That may help!

Welcome!

this sounds like the weep hole issue that affects 2F's (FJ60) and maybe 3F's (FJ62, FJ80) as well.
from what I've heard it is exactly what you describe. the hole is created in the manufacturing process for some reason, then plugged. This plug sometimes leaks or just comes out (like yours)

I think the fix is to tap it with the engine running (oil coming out will keep any metal shavings from getting into the engine) and fit it with a basic allen screw.

try a search as well.

oh yea......

...and WELCOME!!!!
:D

hey futuralsc,

Mark Whatley and Jim C (very respected cruiser Gurus) are joining in one of the best threads in a while. check it out and you'll find out all you wan't to know about cruiser *tractor* motors!!!

Mark W just made a reference to exactly your problem

LINK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom