Hj61 wrong engine mounts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday guys,
About a year back I had my engine rebuilt (removed and installed by the engine builder). I have only just noticed how much the front of the engine points towards the left of the car. I first noticed the fan blades are nearly touching the fan shroud on the left, with a large clearance on the right. In looking around, the left engine mount is touching metal on metal (see pic)…
I was hoping to fit a slightly larger diameter fan….
Have wrong engine mounts been used? Or is this normal - seems a bit odd to me…
Thanks heaps!

8CA8623E-73EB-436C-B999-70050C4295A1.jpeg

CCB98E1A-C760-43CD-84B8-2A435EA54426.jpeg

242AC5F1-ACAD-47A5-B844-BB6A3C07ADCD.jpeg

Some of the motor mounts don’t look right. Here’s one example.
70F3ED8A-B107-4193-B490-CB63714E614B.jpeg

What’s that skewed spacer above the mount?
Also in another picture the rubber insulator looks torqued.
If they’re still available, I’d replace them.

X2 on the spacers on top of the mounts???

also check the rear mount on the crossmember

Looking at the parts schematic above, there is a large engine mount bracket (12311) and a small one (12315). Could they be around the wrong way, or can they only be bolted to one side of the block (different hole patterns?).

The large one, (12311) is on the right hand side and the small one (12315) is on the left hand side. The orientation is when sitting in the cab facing forward, the right side of the engine is on the drivers right side.

1643844994434.png

Reactions: OSS
View attachment 2898546

This twisted motor mount / insulator makes me wonder if that is the correct engine mount/insulator. On the 3B's of different vintages have different styles of engine mounts, some with the studs centered on both sides, and others that are offset. Does anyone else have an HJ61 of similar vintage that can post pictures of their insulators?

Last edited:
The large one, (12311) is on the right hand side and the small one (12315) is on the left hand side. The orientation is when sitting in the cab facing forward, the right side of the engine is on the drivers right side.

View attachment 2912439
Thanks for the info - from above it seems to be that these are in the correct positions at least…. Will now look into the mounts themselves!

On the Terrain Tamer site, the front is the same on all year models, but the rear has a different part number from the early to late years… wonder what the difference is?
9D9E49D6-C1E1-4C06-995E-921D82D07F76.png

On the Terrain Tamer site, the front is the same on all year models, but the rear has a different part number from the early to late years… wonder what the difference is?

Rear is really the transmission mount.

1643935972975.png

In the pictures in the first post you can see where the insulator part number may still be visible on the rubber part of the insulator...I did a part number search for an HJ61 in "General" countries and the part number 12361-68051 was returned. I think searched that part number on ToyoDIY.com. If your truck is listed below, then you can confirm this part number is on your insulator. If you get a different number ToyoDIY can be searched to see what vehicles the number is associated with. Both front mounts (LH and RH sides) are the same.

1643986925765.png

In the parts schematic diagram, there appear to be locator pins on the insulator bracket and alignment holes on the mounting brackets. In one of your pictures, there is a piece of something (rubber) between the insulator and bracket which may not be allowing the bracket (and engine) to seat properly. OSS point this out in post #3.

Maybe it's time to lift the engine off that insulator and see if you can remove that piece of something.

1643987768862.png

View attachment 2898546

I think we all just ASSUMED that this spacer is supposed to be there and was just crooked. I just went to my garage to look at mine, and it looks just like the diagram...no spacer. I'm 99% sure that it shouldn't be there. **Be sure to loosen up the other side and the rear trans mount before you try to lift up this side.

If the diagram doesn't show the spacer - than it's probably not supposed to be there!

Sometime to keep in mind too, is that that the engine IS supposed to sit crooked in the chassis, with the front of the motor closer to one side of the vehicle than the back of the motor. I'm not sure why this is. It wasn't originally obvious on my FJ62, but it was blatantly obvious when I had the grille and fan shroud off. One side of the fan was much closer to the radiator than the other. A lot of research seemed to indicate that this is just how Toyota did it, for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom