HJ60 with 35z (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had 35x12.5x15 BFG MT put on a few weeks ago. I have OME Extra HD front springs and reset rears. Both ends with 2" over length shackles. The tyres ripped off the front drivers side mud flap and the rear drivers side scrape when going around bumpy corners at high speed. I have purchased a 2" body lift kit from Superior Engineering but haven't installed it as yet. I have the HJ60 with the 2H and H55 5 speed and 4.11 gears. 5th gear is pretty much useless. Previous to this I had 33z and I was happy with this gearing, so by going to 4.56 diffs I think it would be happy. I would be happier with Marks transfer case gears, but that's the expensive option. Thought I'd share some pics pre bodylift. Hopefully it will get installed in the next couple of weeks.

Dscf1336.jpg

Dscf1337.jpg

Dscf1338.jpg

There are some posts on here regarding what people have done to run 35s. Could be a good resource before you drop down the $'s...

Sweet looking truck in any case!

My 40 is on 35's with an H55 and 4.56s. It'll cruiser the highway at 75 in fifth, though I don't feel comfortable at that speed in a 40.

post up here when you get the BL on with pics. I am goign to be runnign 33's for now with 4" Alcans. And will have bthis for awhile, but may end up at 35's later down the road.

I went throught hte same experience when I owned my HJ60. Once I put a turbo on it I actually enjoyed the faster gearing for the highway. But it was just aweful prior to having the turbo... You can spend $1500 in gears but I would put the money into a turbo personally :) Also check the diesel section of this site, lots of giid info there. On my site there is a pic of the homebrew turbo we rigged up that still works great to this day...

DO you have any pics with it on 33's. Mine is on 33's now, but i am thinking about
35's. I know there are plenty of pics out there but I just wanted to see how much much clearance you had with the 33's so i can compare to how much clearance i have now.

Brian

BlueCruiser84 said:
DO you have any pics with it on 33's. Mine is on 33's now, but i am thinking about
35's. I know there are plenty of pics out there but I just wanted to see how much much clearance you had with the 33's so i can compare to how much clearance i have now.

Brian

Same suspension, just with 33x10.5x15

Dscf0848.jpg

thanks, I appreciate it.

Brian

clearance: i'm running 4"Alcans and 1" over stock shackles with 35's and I definately rub. A lot of it has to do with the high backspacing of the wheels which puts the arc of wheel travel to narrow so it rubs on the inside of the fender. If I push the the tire out about an inch and rework the bumpstops it should work well. I think a small body lift may be necessary with a sprung under truck to really "clear" the 35's.

Gearing: I was running 33's but blew one out and the only tires I had around were the 35's on the fj40. Swapped them over to the hj60. Long story short:
2h + 3.73 +35's = disaster. 4.11 and a turbo would be a great combo but costly. I too am going the 4.56 route to put the gearing near stock. On top of that I have a turbo to put on which should give me plenty of power and gearing for most all situations.

dieselcruiserhead said:
I went throught hte same experience when I owned my HJ60. Once I put a turbo on it I actually enjoyed the faster gearing for the highway. But it was just aweful prior to having the turbo... You can spend $1500 in gears but I would put the money into a turbo personally :) Also check the diesel section of this site, lots of giid info there. On my site there is a pic of the homebrew turbo we rigged up that still works great to this day...

Thanks for that. I would prefer not to have a turbo. I was fairly happy with the set up with 33z and 4.11, so I think 35z and 4.56 would be better. The cost of a turbo would be $4K Ausd whereas I can get it regeared for $1500Ausd or $2K Ausd for Marks Transfer case gears. I hardly drive it, so can't justify the turbo. Add to that it has 285,000km on it and I don't push it too much in terms of engine life.

Sixty's Guy said:
Add to that it has 285,000km on it and I don't push it too much in terms of engine life.

That engine is just getting broken in if it has been taken care of. Works out to 177K miles and the gas engines usually do 300K miles. Diesels can far exceed that!

Ok, I got the bodylift on and took it offroad on the weekend. I'm glad to announce that the tyres do not rub at all. I am really happy with the way the 60 is at the moment. With twin lockers and 35 MT tyres, it's about as far as I want to go with it. Time to enjoy it now. I do have some other projects that I'm halfway through, but I will post them up later.

GasFlames075.jpg

GasFlames074.jpg

congrats!! looks sweet, and love the height of your 60! i'm also planning to go 35's. So a few questions:

ok so if i go 35 i will go with 4.56's.

but my real concern is if i go 35 i'll sacriface some engine power?
do you notice a change in performance since you change to 35's?

i know these are stupid questions but as you all know the 2f isn't the most powerfull engine and i wouldn't like to loose some power...
P.S: I love my 2f but sometimes it's just a bit slow driving on the city.

That looks fantastic!
been trying to raise the cash to move from 31' to 33'. Now I'm gonna have to sell something else so I can afford to regear and get 35's!!

I always thought if you gonna reegear .. to 4.56 go with 4.88 for the same money, unless you are planning to make a race with any sport car ..

I hate my cruiser sometimes, when was lifted the first time the same thing as you rear end down ! I hate it ! I'm always triying to level it.

Tapage said:
I always thought if you gonna reegear .. to 4.56 go with 4.88 for the same money, unless you are planning to make a race with any sport car ..

I hate my cruiser sometimes, when was lifted the first time the same thing as you rear end down ! I hate it ! I'm always triying to level it.

It's an optical illusion! It's not actually lower in the rear, but it does look like it from that picture.

clyde60 said:
That looks fantastic!
been trying to raise the cash to move from 31' to 33'. Now I'm gonna have to sell something else so I can afford to regear and get 35's!!

I got a few quotes for changing the Crown wheel and pinions and also with a new set of gears for the transfer case. It's actually cheaper to get the trannie gears. I got a quote off a guy in Melbourne (was called TT or something like that? - could find it for you) for Trannie gears $1650Aud fitted. That was a 10% reduction in high range (roughly same as going 4.56 gears) and I think it was 40% reduction in low range.

FJ60_cruiser said:
congrats!! looks sweet, and love the height of your 60! i'm also planning to go 35's. So a few questions:

ok so if i go 35 i will go with 4.56's.

but my real concern is if i go 35 i'll sacriface some engine power?
do you notice a change in performance since you change to 35's?

i know these are stupid questions but as you all know the 2f isn't the most powerfull engine and i wouldn't like to loose some power...
P.S: I love my 2f but sometimes it's just a bit slow driving on the city.

You think the 2F isn't powerful! Try the 2H!! Yes I have lost power. I would love to go a turbo, but don't know if I can justify the expense. I have 4.11 gears and they aren't low enough. 4.56 would be a good option I reckon.

I don't know how much the turbo is for the 2H, but I've got the 12HT and love it. I feel it's what makes my truck. If the turbo for the 2H will make it feel and drive like the 12HT, I would say invest and you'll be very happy. Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom