HJ60 axles on FJ40 - Differential Flange (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm installing '86 HJ60 axles into my '74 FJ40.
I got the axles, diffs rebuilt and all necessary parts sitting in boxes in my friends garage. We planning on starting the project on the weekend.
Suddenly question arise. Would HJ60 diffs be direct bolt pattern on the flange to my FJ40 driveshafts???:confused:
I forgot to order diff covers (reinforced) and going to do it today. But do I need to look for a new diff flanges as well? I hope not as this would means not only parts, but also resetting the diffs...

I know many did upgrade their 40s to 60-series axles. Did you change the flanges or they were direct bolt-on? PLEASE HELP find this information. My Cruiser is at different place till the weekend and I can't measure the driveshafts as of now.

The 60 flanges have plenty room to re drill holes... or aftermarket multi-hole flanges are available...

So, they are not compatible..??? :(
What aftermarkets are? I found Marlin Crawler has multi-pattern flanges, but they are out of stock.

no not compatible...

Just did the same swap myself.....
IMAG0319.jpg

What is the diff flange bolt pattern on '74 FJ40 and what is it on '86 HJ60 (I assume it should be the same on all 60s)?

grant5127 said:
Just did the same swap myself.....

What year is your 40 and what 60s have you used?
Did you re-drill yours or used multi-pattern?

Cruiser outfitters has a chart on their website that shows what flange fits. Kurt also stocked the flanges. My 60 cc drive line matches my 77 flanges but don't know if all years are the same

I've got a 60 diff in my 74 40. It was simple, I put a 40 driveshaft onto the diff turned 45 degrees to the original holes, held it in place with a clamp, and drilled 4 new holes.

The alternative would be to swap your 40 diffs into the 60 axle. Are they the same ratio?

I broke a rear pinion a couple of months ago and borrowed a diff out of my 70 series cruiser (same flange bolt spacing as 60 series) to keep me going and just threw a yoke off a 60 series onto my prop shaft and installed it with the yoke at the diff end.

My gearbox and transfer are later model H55 and the transfer flange is re-drilled to fit either bolt pattern :)

bikersmurf said:
I've got a 60 diff in my 74 40. It was simple, I put a 40 driveshaft onto the diff turned 45 degrees to the original holes, held it in place with a clamp, and drilled 4 new holes.

The alternative would be to swap your 40 diffs into the 60 axle. Are they the same ratio?

That what I may do - redrill.
No, they are not. 40 has 4.11 open, while 60 are built with 4.56 and Detroit on the rear.

An idea pop-up in my head this morning. (?/!)
Are the U-Joints on 40-series (4-speed) and 60-series are the same?
If they do, may be its possible to locate the 60-series driveshafts and get pinion side (only part which bolts to the pinion flange) of the yoke installed on 40-series driveshaft...???

An idea pop-up in my head this morning. (?/!)
Are the U-Joints on 40-series (4-speed) and 60-series are the same?
If they do, may be its possible to locate the 60-series driveshafts and get pinion side (only part which bolts to the pinion flange) of the yoke installed on 40-series driveshaft...???

I just swapped the drive shaft ends on mine when I did the ujoints :meh:

kling-on said:
I just swapped the drive shaft ends on mine when I did the ujoints :meh:

So you swapped yokes at the diff side from 60 to 40, did I got you right? Was it direct bolt in?
I assume you have '74+ drivetrain.

AlexJet said:
So you swapped yokes at the diff side from 60 to 40, did I got you right? Was it direct bolt in?
I assume you have '74+ drivetrain.

I have done it on 75 to 82 and 82 to 86-87 drop outs ... Also I have swapped fine spline flanges but yours should be course spline. Once I even just swapped the slip yoke end to make it work.

Sent from outer space via my mind

Drilln the flange would be a hell of a lot easier than jackn with those stubborn u joints.

I just got a lead on a pair of 60 axles in good shape for 1100 out the door. I don't want to pass on them, but do not have the welding chops to do a bunch of custom fab work. I'm a newbie, so forgive the question if it is obvious to everyone but me... Do these "bolt right in" on a 68 FJ40 or is there fab involved to mount them, connect the leafs, shocks? Will I need custom length drive shafts? Are the axles still 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern?

I just got a lead on a pair of 60 axles in good shape for 1100 out the door. I don't want to pass on them, but do not have the welding chops to do a bunch of custom fab work. I'm a newbie, so forgive the question if it is obvious to everyone but me... Do these "bolt right in" on a 68 FJ40 or is there fab involved to mount them, connect the leafs, shocks? Will I need custom length drive shafts? Are the axles still 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern?

60-series axles are wider, so you'd need to re-weld the spring perches on the axles. Rear is easy, but on the front the pumpkin is on the way, so you either cut into the pumping with a new spring perch or weld both side higher (this would gain you 1-2" of lift which you need to compensate on rear axle). I believe someone makes kit for pumping weld-in spring perch. I just did my own back then.

I had extra flanges, they just bolt on - I don't think you will need to re-set the diff.
So, I am in a similar situation. I have an FJ60 where there were model differences mid-year. Long story short, bought another rear axle and now the drive shaft won't bolt up on the rear diff. I have the original diff still (that the drive shaft will bolt to) and I was wondering how hard it would be to swap the flanges (instead of the entire differentials)? Is it as simple as removing the center nut?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom