HJ47 Troopy Engine Replacement Options? (Currently a tired 5.7L Vortec/350 SBC) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
(Note: I've got a build thread for my troopy going, but I don't really get many responses on it. Throwing this question out to the larger group.)

Vehicle Background:
  • 1984 HJ47 Troopy in middle of bodywork and paint restore
  • Engine is a Chevy Vortec 5.7L/350 (version L31) swapped in about 2000. Allegedly around 30K miles on it.
  • H55f transmission (new at time of swap, maybe 10K miles on it)
  • '87 split transfer case (fully rebuilt at time of swap) out an FJ60, has the 38mm idler shaft and parking brake drum thing on it
  • Advanced Adapter 350/H42 kit (gleaned from PO's posts)
  • Note: original 2H engine, engine wiring harness, and related engine bay parts the PO sold off at the time of the swap in 2000 so it's not waiting on a pallet somewhere
State of the current Vortec:
  • Need new engine wiring harness (current one spliced up to one-off make shift fuse boxes, couple of the sensors are melted/damaged)
  • Need new fuel lines and fuel pump (I deleted the homemade 2nd tank with the GM fuel pump, it had tons of venting issues with the OEM tank)
  • Need new full exhaust (threw out old rusted out one )
  • Engine has been outside under a tarp for two years after it was removed for the restore (exhaust removed, so 'open' at the headers)
  • Issues during ownership (last 8 years) - both engine and user errors
    • MAP sensor issues (unplugged, runs better without, otherwise stalls out even with a new sensor)
    • MAF sensor issues (sensor got melted not used not)
    • Air intake wiggled loose from filter, maybe 500 miles before I released, so no air filter for a couple months of use
    • Lifter issue causing a 'tractor' type clacking noises, did get fixed

So...I'm currently looking at least a new engine wiring harness, MAP and MAF sensors (plus more?), correct air intake filter, mild (at least) rebuild/reconditioning after sitting for two years under a tarp, new fuel lines, new fuel pump, maybe new fuel sender, plus ???/$$$ to get this Vortec back in business.

I keep thinking instead of 'throwing away money' getting the old Vortec usable again in a freshly restored tub/chassis, I should save that money and put it toward an LS3, Cummins R2.8, 2F, or a 1HZ/Toyota diesel engine swap instead.

Any thoughts?

IMG_7314 2.jpg
IMG_7315.JPG

^^^x2.

Personally i would start with making a needed live real time Phone conference with Cameron Mosley of Mosley Motors , @FJ60Cam

Cam is a MUD SUPPORTING VENDOR , and has taken the whole topic of rebuilding a 2F Engine to various options levels and Spec. points

If i currently needed any form of a Re-Built 2F for a Shop Clients in-house job , where a worry free Long or Short Block was required , i would
Not even think of another source to meet my needs and the needs of my Company ..................

He is Professional , Friendly and most importantly ALL Business

check out his SUPER 2F , most impressive !

matt .....

When i think of a 2F now , this is what pops into my head . Timeless " Vintage TOYOTA Factory Focus Points " :cool:

1597460656003.png

Personally i would start with making a needed live real time Phone conference with Cameron Mosley of Mosley Motors , @FJ60Cam

Cam is a MUD SUPPORTING VENDOR , and has taken the whole topic of rebuilding a 2F Engine to various options levels and Spec. points

check out his SUPER 2F , most impressive !

Holy sh!t that super 2F!

Holy sh!t that super 2F!

YES Sir...............

that is a thing of beauty that has NO match i am aware of ?

my next 2F build will Strive to look and feel similar ..................... :)

but ?

maybe im not worthy .....😇

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom