HJ45 not starting after new starter installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello I have a 1980 HJ45 Aussie. My cruiser had been throwing sparks when it would start up and eventually it completely died on me. I had a new starter and starter relay installed but it started arching when you would connect the battery terminals. I solved the arching issue which was solved by moving the starter cable so it doesn't touch the starter body and ground out. It still won't crank or warm the plugs. I believe I have a bad relay but even then the car still won't crank. Any body ever run into this before or have anytime. Im suer new to the car and im young so I dont know a lot to begin with about the car. Thank You.

Do you have a 12V Test Lamp.. if not, you should go and buy one. Its essential for diagnosing issues like these and an essential piece of kit for an old Landruiser owner.. A test lamp is much more useful than a digital voltmeter in this situation. Make sure when you buy the test lamp that it has an incandescent bulb, not an LED.

With the test lamp you can then test for 12V+ at each side of the fuses.

I have one its actually how I solved the issue with the Starter grounding out. Ill try that with the fuses when I get home from school. Thank You for the tip duncanrm.

Also you probably already have this but if not.. here's the engine manual for the HJ45.. it does have some electrical diagrams at the back.. they are very poorly formatted for an old scan, but you might be able to get something useful out of them. Another useful skill for an old Landcruiser owner (actually anyone in involved in cars) is being able to interpret a wiring diagram.

I have All the manuals for the car and sheets of the wiring diagram in it. I can read the diagrams Im very experienced with electrical. Thank you though. I have a question where I can find a starter for the car cause the ore I look and think the solenoid may be blown.

I have All the manuals for the car and sheets of the wiring diagram in it. I can read the diagrams Im very experienced with electrical. Thank you though. I have a question where I can find a starter for the car cause the ore I look and think the solenoid may be blown.

Where are you located? It says "Woodlands".. if that's the Woodlands in Adelaide, I can probably help you out with a starter.

This screams bad grounds!!! Check your battery to engine ground , and engine to chassis. Very easy to overlook ground issues and they are just as or more important than the positive connection.

Ive checked all the grounds and even re did them. im in the process of running wires for a new harness after looking more at my wiring. My wiring has dead ends and exposed lines and some melted wires so it seems for the best I put a new harness in this old girl.

I live in the United States. The woodlands Texas, USA. It would be nice to live in Australia where people actually know what this car is and how different they are to the US models.

I think I have a FJ starter and not a diesel one. I looked at the new one my shop put in and the original and they don't match up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom