Highway stalling/bucking. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, first off please know that im at a library and in a real hurry to type this thread up as i need answers kinda quick. I didnt search at all and im sorry, im about to be late for work but today on my way in to town the 80 started bucking and jerking very hard at highway speeds. i was able to limp into town and we'll see how the ride home goes.

I stopped at napa and they have a brand new fuel filter on the way, i will pick it up tomorrow and start by swapping that out, im running the stock filter at 250k miles. Its bucking like my old 40 used to when its filter went bad as well as our 60 so im hoping this should fix it.

I also picked up some bg44k at napa and put it in, maybe it will help.

Lastly, i cleaned the whole engine bay today with two can of Gunk Engine Degreaser. I made sure to cover the Distritbutor.
It ran fin the first ten miles to work then it was just down hill.

Sorry for any grammar errors and im sure this is a repost but i was hoping id get home late tonight and get some decent answers before i start the fun job of a fuel filter replacement early tom. morning.

Now i just need to read up on the FF swap for tomorrow if that is infact the problem.

Thanks, BD

I haven't cleaned my engine bay yet but I highly suspect that cleaning the engine is your problem and will go away. There are things other than the distributer that can get wet that will make the engine act as you have described. :mad:

I suspect you may have gotten some water down in the spark plug holes or something like that. I wouldn't worry unless it doesn't stop by tomorrow.

By the way I've also heard that it is not good to leave the 44k in your take for a long time the detergents are very strong.

Heffennoche.

I think you may be right. i got to work and the truck sat for about 6.5hrs while i was there. i drove it home without a problem. i am getting ready right now to head back to town to pick up the filter and we'll see how it does. i may go ahead and replace the filter b/c im leaving for OBX saturday and i dont think it could hurt as im almost sure the filter is the original.

I've powered washed by 93 ~10 times and it's never done what you described (bucking) and mine has 300k miles.

The BG44k has made a small, smoothing, idle improvement, but so has the cheap wal-mart stuff.

The FF is a pain to replace and didn't do squat for me, good luck to you.

My problems have always been in the TB area, and cables.

Well i drove to town and then back, the exact same route that i had problems. this time it ran perfect...i also just finished doing the FF. its very old so i figured what the heck. im going to keep my fingers crossed by i think its fine now. so far i've gone about 45-50 miles without a single jolt or anything.

I'll keep this thread updated but hoping i wont have to...hope the problem is solved.

cut the old filter open if you don't mind and see how much crap is in it.

I had a similar problem when we first got my 80. My dad decided to wash the engine bay and got water in the connectors for all the sensors around the TB. I don't remember exactly what all they were connectors for, but I remember pulling the plugs, letting water run out, spraying air in the connectors to dry them, hooking everything back up, and everything working smoothly from there on. Something to check...

Ary

You have nailed it down-water in spark plug holes. I encounted the same issue with the wifes truck, left the hood shut & running for about 1 hr & no issue. Just remember next time this may occur...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom