High voltage and drops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
shanksmare.com
I have been chasing voltage issues on my 94. I have read a bunch, but haven’t really found the exact same symptoms. When I did the headgasket this winter I also changed out the alternator brush. Since then I have noticed a few things. Most obvious was a dead battery three times during a long couple weeks of steady rain we received. Second is all the dash warning lights coming on any time there is a heavy load put on the system. Power windows and ABS actuating seem to drop the voltage and give me the Christmas tree lights.

I have done some checking with the multimeter. Engine off battery is good at 12.8. At idle it is bouncing high between 15 and 16, mostly around 15.3 ish. I need to get my wife to help check it with the power windows actuating to see how much it drops.

I have checked and cleaned the grounds, and it appears a previous owner added a few extra heavier grounds. I also swapped out the fusible link. That seemed to make starting stronger/faster, but did nothing for voltage drop. I am thinking it could be the voltage regulator not doing its job? I haven’t gotten to a auto parts store to have them test the charging system.

Any thoughts?

I'd say you're right and your voltage regulator is going bad or is bad and overcharging. Should have 14.4v or so. You're over that.

So what are the chances my 80 is messing with me? Yesterday morning I decided to take it to advance auto and have them test the charging system. They hook up their tester and say my alternator isn’t working at all. I rev the engine and it starts working. Run the test again and everything test perfectly. I get in and try to duplicate the symptoms and they are all gone. I guess I will keep an eye on it and if they come back try to test it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom