High temp paint for exhaust manifold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fyton2v

SILVER Star
Threads
Any recommendations for a primer and paint combo that will last?

I'd get it high temp ceramic coated. Will last much longer than any paint ever will. I'd see if any of your local powder coaters could do it.

Recently did 2 exhausts with cerakote. Do not have a long term test yet but the exhaust manifolds did not burn off like every other product i have tried over the last 25 years. Blasted prior to application.

Is Cerakote something you can just buy and spray on yourself, or is the prep too complicated?

I'll just throw my hat in with POR15 Manifold grey paint. Has held up surprisingly well after 10 years.

Prep well and follow the directions for curing.

I have 2 years on Eastwood’s “High Temp Coating” and pleased with it but 10 years on the POR that Spike Strip mentioned is impressive. I sand blasted the manifolds bolted together so I just coated them both together as it was easier, and I think it looks good. Just not seeing rust looks good to me.

Cerakote lasted about 2 years on my 80 series manifolds before rusting through. I wouldn't use it again for high temp applications.

An old hot rodder's trick is to use graphite spray (the dark stuff) on exhaust manifolds. It doesn't yellow/discolor like clear temp paints nor flake/bake off, and it's easy to touch up and cheap.
Check this out:

Check this out:

Funny, I did the same thing, but used both the darker spray (on the darker manifold and the EZ-slide on the (natural shade) other which has never discolored/rusted.

I think I'm going to go the POR15 route since the feedback is positive and it has the convenience of the rattle-can option. I hate the cleanup after using a spray gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom