High pitched whining at 50MPH+ when accelerating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Car specs:

• 1992 FJ80
  • 4.0L
  • Auto
  • Gas
  • 180K Miles

It's the first time I've taken the car on the freeway, it was not running before but I got it working at this point so it's my first time on the freeway.

I noticed when I hit 50-55 a noise kicks only when I am accelerating, as soon as I take my foot off the pedal, it goes completely away. It sounds like it's coming from the front suspension. I've been able to find a few threads on this topic but really no suggestions on what I should start looking at first. Any help appreciated..

Low hanging fruit, as it's been sitting:
1) top off front diff fluid.
2) top off center diff fluid.
3) grease front shaft u/js and yoke.
4) check your knuckle balls for dryness. You typically want 2/3rds of the ball to show a thin film of grease (bottom to top). Add moly into inspection port on the knuckle if necessary. I do 50 pumps of the grease gun (with zerk connector off) and re-eval.

As you describe, the noise is impacted when you're on and off the accelerator. This points to drive line components - everything from the center diff out to the knuckles.

Mine whines at certain speeds, but it's slight and not concerning in the least. I kinda like the mechanical orchestra, as it were.

Is it a whine or is it a whistle? If its more like a whistle and only under 1/2-2/3 throttle at that speed, it's the exhaust collector doing the classic "80 whistle".

Don't be offended, I noticed you only have 4 posts here, and its a simple thing if its just the stock whistle,

Jack up the front end and forcefully try to rock your tires. Do this twice, once with your hands in the 12 and 6 o'clock position. There should be no play or looseness, if there is it would indicate loose wheel bearings. Wheel bearings can make all sorts of noises at speed.

Do the same thing with your hands at the 9 and 3 o'clock position. Again there should be no play. This is how you check tie rods. Worn tie rods aren't going to make a noise like you described, but you should still check them if you have the front tire in the air.

You might also want to check your pulley's and belts. Belts and seized or worn out pulley's can make high pitched noises also.

Goodluck

Last edited:
Is it a whine or is it a whistle? If its more like a whistle and only under 1/2-2/3 throttle at that speed, it's the exhaust collector doing the classic "80 whistle".

Don't be offended, I noticed you only have 4 posts here, and its a simple thing if its just the stock whistle,
Does the 3fe suffer from this "stock whistle"

I've never owned a 3FE, but it's still a straight 6 with the same header-collector design as any other 80-series. Can anyone confirm?

No offense taken, I am always open to learning. Unfortunately my mechanic got COVID, I was intending to get a video recording of the sound but it's sitting in his shop till he's better. In terms of the exhaust, it's not a stock system, twin pipe with cat delete. I have some experience with bad bearings on a wheel, sounds similar to that whining but not quite grinding.

Check driveline slip yokes!
Hydrolocking turns the driveshft into a straight piece of steel vs something which allows movement. If locked she makes noise and puts pressure on the rear pinion seal.

For months, when I first brought mine home, I thought a faint whine I was hearing up front was actually directly behind me.... the fuel pump.
It will make a high pitched whine as the high flow circuit kicks in when accelerating.

Low hanging fruit, as it's been sitting:
1) top off front diff fluid.
2) top off center diff fluid.
3) grease front shaft u/js and yoke.
4) check your knuckle balls for dryness. You typically want 2/3rds of the ball to show a thin film of grease (bottom to top). Add moly into inspection port on the knuckle if necessary. I do 50 pumps of the grease gun (with zerk connector off) and re-eval.

As you describe, the noise is impacted when you're on and off the accelerator. This points to drive line components - everything from the center diff out to the knuckles.

Mine whines at certain speeds, but it's slight and not concerning in the least. I kinda like the mechanical orchestra, as it were.
Definitely do this! It didn't eliminate my truck's whine, but it did improve it by about 50%. I believe that the whine that we are experiencing is related to fuel delivery. I like Rusty Marlin's post about the fuel pump. I may change that at some point, but first, it's time to replace the fuel filter...joy.

Just a quick update...I changed out the fuel pump with a new Denso unit and there is definitely a significant improvement. I can still hear a little while, but it's much more muted and lower in frequency. I can definitely live with this noise. It's an easy job and should be done if you have high pitched whining associated with the gas pedal IMHO.

Just a quick update...I changed out the fuel pump with a new Denso unit and there is definitely a significant improvement. I can still hear a little while, but it's much more muted and lower in frequency. I can definitely live with this noise. It's an easy job and should be done if you have high pitched whining associated with the gas pedal IMHO.
I just did my fuel pump as well and the noise happens more now, also I think I messed something up because my fuel gauge isn't working now lol. I also greased the driveshaft and will try to do some other components when I get a chance. There was some clunking that happens between accelerating but that seems to have went away after greasing some components Still making the noise now at 30 MPH

I just did my fuel pump as well and the noise happens more now, also I think I messed something up because my fuel gauge isn't working now lol. I also greased the driveshaft and will try to do some other components when I get a chance. There was some clunking that happens between accelerating but that seems to have went away after greasing some components Still making the noise now at 30 MPH
Did you have individual wire eyelets or a single plug on the top of the access panel to tank? (year-model specific I think) Guessing the issue is there for the fuel gauge problem.

Did you have individual wire eyelets or a single plug on the top of the access panel to tank? (year-model specific I think) Guessing the issue is there for the fuel gauge problem.
So originally I got the denso because rockauto said it was compatible but my old pump was a plug in model. So I returned the denso and got a carter which has the plug, I also had to replace the entire fuel tank because it was busted and not repairable which is why I replaced the fuel pump to begin with.

Ah, I forgot you have a '92. The Denso was a direct plug 'n play replacement for my '94. Did you top off your differential fluid and pump gear into your balls?

Ah, I forgot you have a '92. The Denso was a direct plug 'n play replacement for my '94. Did you top off your differential fluid and pump gear into your balls?
not yet, I will try that this weekend, only have weekends to work on it.

Greased all the points mentioned in the thread, car drives much smoother, noise is still there. I am not too concerned about it now though. Car has bigger problems like the fuel gauge not working still, oil leaking from unknown location and power steering doesn't seem to be fully functional. I'll come back to this later.

Edit, I haven't done the diff fluid either yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom