High pitched whine and charging issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, the title says it all. I have a high pitched whine and at idle my voltage will drop. Voltage goes back to 14 at speed, and is fine at a stop if I slip it into neutral and rev to around 2k.

Logic would tell me it's either a bad tensioner, bad pulley, or bad alternator, but I'd love any input you guys could give me to help narrow it down.

Thanks!

Assuming it's only the alternator bearings that are bad, would it otherwise pass a load test similar to what they'd do at Autozone?

Mine is a 2006 LC with around 139,000 on it.

Alt bearing would not cause voltage to fluctuate. It would just be noisy. Bad diode will do that, though. Replace the alt.

Logic would tell me it's either a bad alternator, bad alternator, or bad alternator...
FIFY. But while you are in there, you should check the other items and replace the serpentine belt if it hasn't been done in awhile.

Replaced my alternator today with a Denso reman unit from Rock Auto. Wow. So much quieter. I guess I had gotten used to the whine. The only downside is that it’s so quite that now I can hear the exhaust manifold ticking. Of course it seems that both of those noises were drowned out by the other exhaust manifold I just replaced a few months ago. 2001 LX w/ 222k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom