High-end stereo upgrade results (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After MANY hours of research and shopping. My stereo upgrade saga is complete. Equipment includes Eclipse 5444 HU ($179), ARC Audio KAR 400 4 channel amp ($250), Rainbow X-Plain 6.5" component front door speakers ($470), Eclipse 8353 5.25" rear door speakers($100), and Image Dynamics ID8 8" subwoofer ($100). All pieces, except Rainbow speakers were purchased over internet and all were installed in the factory locations by a high-end audio shop. My goal was warm, neautral, well-balanced sound quality.

When putting the system together, the main issue became what 6.5" comps could I squeeze in the front locations (max mounting depth) without any major modifications. I learned that the front components are the most important part of any quality car audio system. I thought I was safe with a mounting depth of 2.56" because Stresspuppy got his MB Quart's PCE216's in only needing to expand the door panel hole slightly. So I originally purchased DLS UP6's (2.54" mounting depth). It turned out that the grill for the DLS is not as big as the MB Quart's and would not cover the hole in the door panel after making the necessary enlargement. The shop doing the install made me a deal on the Rainbow's which are actually a step or two up from the DLS's I had purchased. I spent so much time deciding on the UP6's I couldn't believe the shop was telling me they couldn't make them fit. But it turned out well, as I am extremely pleased with the Rainbows.

The amp and subwoofer are installed in the PS rear cargo area panel. The little storage box had to be cut out (door still there), but I was very happy that both the sub and amp were able to fit there. The subwoofer requires an enclosure of less than 1 cu ft of space. The shop fabricated one out of wood and fiberglass($200). The speaker with grill is positiond just under the factory sub grill in the panel.

The sound quality is amazing, it is like being in front of the stage at a live show. Even my wife, who was lets say skeptical about the expense being worth it, is blown away by the sound. It is sooo good to load the family up, hit the road and listen to our favorite music in the manner this system provides. It's already made for some beautiful moments.

This is the first mod made to the cruiser (its nice to be all done with repairs and maintanence). This being the family DD the stereo upgrade trumped any offroad mods.

I truly learned alot while researching my stereo system. I discovered a few forums similar to Mud but for car audio and got advice from experienced car audiophiles who really know their stuff. Feel free to PM me if you would like more details regarding the advice I received about different brands of high-end equipment.

Take care,
Perk

That sounds great Perk, I know the upgrade I did made alot of differance. So where to for your long cruise listening to toons?

Good job. Sounds like you went with some nice equipment. My girlfriend complained when I dropped a few $$ on my stereo but to me it is well worth it. Once you are spoiled on a great sounding system you can never go back to a stock setup.

Pics?

Got some pictures??

PICTURES!!! I'm dealing with this right now, going to try to stuff some Kappas I have laying around in mine, the a JVC DVD HU with a Zed Audio amp and Sound Splinter subs.. I have however seem much of what you bought including the ID's and I almost bought those.. NOW SHOW US THE PICTURES!!!

Now all you need to do is spoil that sound with the hum of Swampers. It sounds like a great system. I just couldn't justify it for my Cruiser. It spends too much time in the dirt, wet, and with lthe lift and big tires increasing wind noise it is hard to justify it for me. I've heard the XPlane speakers before. They are incredible. If I had a car I'd be all over something like what you have.

This thread is useless without pics!

Nice - sounds like your installer did exactly the same thing mine did on the subwoofer. I too have the sub located just below the stock location and lost the little storage box. Rolling concert hall now I presume! Enjoy.

I'll be taking it into the audio shop on Friday for some fine tuning. I'll try to come away with some pics.

Uncle Ben said:
This thread is useless without pics!
This thread is useless without samples of sound quality :flipoff2:

Sounds like a nice set up, but I must say I fail to see how folks can get by without satellite radio or IPOD connectivity, particularly in a "high end" system. Seems archaic to bring along cases and cases of CDs. Satellite is essential in my book, especially out in the backcountry where you quickly tire of the CD's you brought along and there are only "2 types" of music on the radio...Country and Western (neither of which I care for). Even the traffic and weather updates make it worthwhile IMHO.

Seems archaic to bring along cases and cases of CDs.

That's why I bought a deck with "giga MP3", I can burn 40 hours of MP3's on one dvd... Hell I could get to NY and back on one disk without hearing the same song twice!!

sonoranfun said:
That's why I bought a deck with "giga MP3", I can burn 40 hours of MP3's on one dvd... Hell I could get to NY and back on one disk without hearing the same song twice!!

Giga mp3.... did you just get that.? How do you like it? I picked up mine 2 days ago at Circuit city ~$210 JVC DV-D5100. Plays DVD mp3 discs.. and even has a video out for movie DVDs. I'll be installing it tommorrow. Taking out my JVC mp3 CD deck.
-Gary

I was gonna rip out the sub that came with the 80 I just got, but it's starting to grow on me. I dunno. Who knows? :flipoff2:
Congrats on the new system. :cheers:

I'm installing a 4channel amp in the PS rear panel area as well. I've got all my other wiring figured out, but I'm having trouble deciding where to run the speaker wires. I'd like to keep the lengths the same for each side, but that may be more trouble than it's worth. How did they run your speaker wires to the door speakers?

Here are some pictures of what I have done with the stereo...would love to see some others! It isn't the best looking thing in the world, but to get what I wanted it works. Let me know if you have any questions.
alter 1.JPG
alter 2.JPG
alter 3.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom