Updated stereo install, JVC KW-M788BH 6.8" touchscreen w/steering wheel controls (yes another audio upgrade thread!) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

let me see if i'm following. your camera(s) are +12v powered at all times so the DVR function can work? Instead of via Reverse signal? Ign or Acc?

i tried to get my camera working both in Reverse and when selecting Camera from the Sony headunit menu, but that later part didn't work right. can't remember all the details, but may have gotten frustrated a bit early and just called Reverse good enough.

i followed a near identical wiring path and mounting point for my rear camera. getting all the wires through the chassis to tailgate grommet was a pain!

love your attention to detail and solutions.

let me see if i'm following. your camera(s) are +12v powered at all times so the DVR function can work? Instead of via Reverse signal? Ign or Acc?

i tried to get my camera working both in Reverse and when selecting Camera from the Sony headunit menu, but that later part didn't work right. can't remember all the details, but may have gotten frustrated a bit early and just called Reverse good enough.

i followed a near identical wiring path and mounting point for my rear camera. getting all the wires through the chassis to tailgate grommet was a pain!

love your attention to detail and solutions.

That's correct. Cameras, front and rear directly off ACC power, so they come one with the ignition switch. Signal split to go to both the head unit for backup image and a DVR for dash cam function. DVR will be mounted in quarter panel mount. Reverse signal only tells the head unit to show the back up cam on demand. Third A/V input on head unit will show DVR interface with split/screen both cams. DVR is an SD Card based unit made for trucks/busses. Pics when that install happens. I'm kind of jumping around on projects all over the truck as I move from area to area, so progress seems a little slow.

That's correct. Cameras, front and rear directly off ACC power, so they come one with the ignition switch. Signal split to go to both the head unit for backup image and a DVR for dash cam function. DVR will be mounted in quarter panel mount. Reverse signal only tells the head unit to show the back up cam on demand. Third A/V input on head unit will show DVR interface with split/screen both cams. DVR is an SD Card based unit made for trucks/busses. Pics when that install happens. I'm kind of jumping around on projects all over the truck as I move from area to area, so progress seems a little slow.
This sounds pretty slick. Will these act as dashcams then and be recording all the time while you're driving? Sorry if I missed that part if you already explained it.

This sounds pretty slick. Will these act as dashcams then and be recording all the time while you're driving? Sorry if I missed that part if you already explained it.
Yes the DVR records up to four cams at the same time. Starts recording on startup and ends on shutdown. I'll post more details as the install proceeds.

Yes the DVR records up to four cams at the same time. Starts recording on startup and ends on shutdown. I'll post more details as the install proceeds.
Awesome. Thanks!!!

The stereo install is done now. I am very happy with the results.

Using the cruise control steering wheel control for the stereo is amazing, makes a touchscreen much more palatable since you don't have to touch the head unit very often. I can vol+/vol-, skip track and 'mic' (does the OK google thing) from the cruise control stalk on the wheel, so you can do the common stuff without having to touch it. I repurposed the rear seat heater switch to switch the controls from the stereo to the cruise control so I can still use them for cruise control as well. This is a temporary solution until I get the work done on a proper steering wheel stereo controls setup using OEM wiring.

The visual on it is great, will work fine for navigation and using the touch screen is ok when you do need to.

The sound is improved, but even with the 6.5" speakers there is very little bass without getting distorted.

The backup camera function is nice. I ended up mounting the DVR unit to the side of the center console, it's recording all the time with both front and back cameras. I can dial up a split screen view of both cameras using the A/V input on the head unit (it has three inputs, backup cam, forward cam and A/V)

I'm also working on a woofer install that I expect will improve the bass response significantly, the challenge is to do it without using up any usable interior space ( I don't want a box in the cargo area )

PXL_20230925_142009788-L.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom