High Beam Indicator Not Working After Koito Install - LED Still The Fix? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These will go live on the website at noon MST today (2PM EST, 11AM PST). I only have 6 of them, but more parts will be en route soon. Here's the link: Cruiser Trash Parts. They will be located on the front page as well as the “New Parts” section. Don’t forget to grab a sticker if you haven’t already!

@Michael Hanson
@Gretsch
@OzarkMtnCruiser
@JTed

@ToyotaMatt FYI 😉
(I think I saw you’re running some LED headlight kit, not sure if your HBI works)
IH8MUD saves the day, again. Thanks @CruiserTrash for making these modules available. Just upgraded the headlights on my 82 FJ60 and no HBI.... Order placed and picked up a sticker!

IH8MUD saves the day, again. Thanks @CruiserTrash for making these modules available. Just upgraded the headlights on my 82 FJ60 and no HBI.... Order placed and picked up a sticker!
Thanks man! I'll get that on its way tomorrow.

This is an easy peasy 1/4 :banana: upgrade for the HBI after swapping to the Kioto kit. Thanks for offering a great and simple solution.
It's the little things that make a huge difference Jim. 🤙

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread - I have read through it, and others, and have some understanding of the issue, but my lack of electrical enginering knowledge means I still have questions.

I understand that the HBI is positively switched from the LO (dipped) light circuit when the headlight relay is triggered by the headlight switch, so that even when the dimmer switch is in the HI (or flash) position, current still flows somehow through the LO filaments in the bulbs/sealed beams (see circuit diagram below, or the schematic on Page 1 of this thread) to the HBI and dashboard ground (brown wire).

When the aftermarket harnesses are used, the LO bulb filaments are replaced by the solenoid coils in relays, which have a much lower resistance, and somehow this stops the HBI bulb from illuminating fully.

My questions must sound very naïve to someone who really understands circuits, but I'd really like to understand what's going on here. My questions:

How come the LO lights are not always on when the headlights are switched on, since there is always a circuit through the HBI? Does the tiny 1.2W bulb control the current in the circuit when the switch is in the HI (main) position, therefore never allowing the LO filaments to illuminate noticeably?

Will the HBI to ground circuit not trigger the LO relay solenoid when the headlight switch is in the HI position?

A separate question is regarding the ARB harness with an extra relay. Is this just fixing the problem by putting an extra solenoid (in a third relay) across the LO/COM (common/ground) terminals in the unused factory headlight connector?

I would really appreciate if anyone can explain the above questions!

Thanks

EO
Wiring Diagram_FJ60 USA_2 1980 chassis-body FSM .jpg

Last edited:
I used the cruiser trash fix. 5 minute install (Plug & Play) works like a champ.

I also ordered the Cruiser Trash part and it was plug and play and worked.....awesome product. It has however stopped working. I reached out to them and will see what they say. One possibility is that the bulb could be out....is that bulb easy to get to? any guidance would be appreciated. Considering just buying another and ruling out the unit first. Anyone else have problems with the module they sell??

I also ordered the Cruiser Trash part and it was plug and play and worked.....awesome product. It has however stopped working. I reached out to them and will see what they say. One possibility is that the bulb could be out....is that bulb easy to get to? any guidance would be appreciated. Considering just buying another and ruling out the unit first. Anyone else have problems with the module they sell??
Hey John - start with the bulb. Remove some screws from the instrument cluster face, wedge the left side outwards (the right side remains connected by the speedometer cable and is tough to maneuver). You can get your hand back there and feel a 1/4" twist socket behind the bulb. Twist and remove. Check the bulb. Pop a new one in if necessary. Replace by inserting the bulb holder and twisting.

I have had a few of these stop working very recently. I'm suspecting either there's a coincidental issue with those people's trucks, or one of the components I purchased has a manufacturing issue. I order high quality name-brand stuff from Mouser, a super reputable company that is used as a supplier by huge corporations so a component failure wouldn't be because I'm buying junk materials. But these things do happen. Still digging into it.

My @CruiserTrash component failed recently as well, I didn’t contact the company, but it looks like they are already on top of it. Mine lasted about 5 months, maybe? I ended up installing an LED light for the indicator bulb which worked flawlessly. I’m using the same solution in two other Cruisers without issue.

FYI, for those of you waiting on a replacement - there are about half a dozen of you out of around 250 sold - I am out of stock and have not yet made another batch. I was planning on doing that last weekend, but life happened. Stuff with my day job, volunteering with my daughter's Girl Scout troop, etc. I intend on making another batch this weekend. Thanks for bearing with me.

FYI, for those of you waiting on a replacement - there are about half a dozen of you out of around 250 sold - I am out of stock and have not yet made another batch. I was planning on doing that last weekend, but life happened. Stuff with my day job, volunteering with my daughter's Girl Scout troop, etc. I intend on making another batch this weekend. Thanks for bearing with me.
Will you then show them available on your website? I don’t need a replacement, I’d just like to buy one.
Thanks.

Will you then show them available on your website? I don’t need a replacement, I’d just like to buy one.
Thanks.
Yes, I always update current stock on those!

I should be getting more of the Koito headlight kits in stock tomorrow or Monday as well, for what it’s worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom