HF floor jack leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trunk Monkey

Threads
My 10 year old HF floor jack is leaking pretty good. I wiped it down to see if I could get a read on where specifically is leaking, it appears to be from where the jack body presses into the base. I doubt there's a seal in there, seems like it would just be press fit? I thought it would more likely be leaking at the piston, but that appears to be fine so far. I hate to think of this as disposable, any idea how I'd seal that up?

InkedIMG_20180304_101550_LI.jpg

If you can get the cylinder out, you ought to be able to find seals for it, provided the bore is still good.

But:

...HF....
I hate to think of this as disposable....

These two statements do not belong together, just sayin'.

Yeah, once it warms up I plan on disassembling it to see if that joint does have a seal, and if it does, then it would be sourcing one. Wonder if I could just weld a bead along that line . . .

If all else fails, for 200 dollars you could get their new Daytona jack, which so far has been a joy to use.

many vids on youtube on fixing leaks on jacks.
I think the barrel is sometimes threaded into the base but don't know about HF jacks. Could just be a flat seal and the barrel held by the gland. It seems that the bottom end is often much harder to disassemble than the gland end because of the possibility of deforming the cylinder which would not be good, but the exterior barrel may be less of an issue.
Good luck. Jacks are very simple animals. HF is not very good with parts for older stuff and they are often overly expensive, though.
Welding the base should be fine providing you don't distort the barrel too much, I would think. There typically is no pressure in the barrel, I believe, so you might even be able to seal it with some sort of goop.
LOL about much of the HF stuff not being disposable, though..

I rebuilt my friends 2 1/2 ton lincoln floor jack recently. We had to remove the springs and unbolt the bottle base from the side plates. We had bolts where I see some black things on the sides of yours. Are they bolt covers? That bottle jack had like 400 to 600 psi to get it apart. Had to put the base in a vice, use the biggest pipe wrench then put a 6ft pipe on it and hang all of my 200lbs to break it loose. I think you're gonna have to break the bottle (inner pipe) loose from the base and find more small passages with valves. Probably threaded in there.

O-ring is a size 217 if anyone ever wonders. Turns out o-rings have a standardized sizing system, who knew. Find the the OD, ID and thickness of the ring and there's dozens of charts online that will show you the size number. OReilly auto had one, $2. I didn't try to source the plastic base one. Cranked everything back together with a pipe wrench. Only last thing I can't find is a note on how much jack oil to put in the reservoir. I ballparked how much drained out when I cracked it open with how much I put in and the jack pumps up and lifts fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom