Hey Yall! Chevy question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im glad to see the forum is doing good. Im sure it is a lot quiter and peaceful now that im not on here a lot anymore. Anyway my question was my buddy has a Chevy 1500 4x4 on 37's and wants to change the gear ratios. He can only afford to do the rear right now and was wondering if it was possible to do just the rear with like 410's or something and keep the front stock. Someone said that this won't work cause the front drive shaft is still spinning but that doesnt make sense to me since he wont have the front gears engaged when in two wheel drive. Will this mess him up when he is in 4 wheel? Any help is greatly appreciated. He doesn't know what to do.

unless he puts it in 4wd he will be fine...

What will happen when in 4 wheel?

The driveshafts will be turning at the same speed, locked together inside the transfer case. The differentials will be trying to turn the tires at different speeds.

Somethings gotta break. Hopefully it's traction, at which point there is no point in being in 4wd. At some point it's gonna be drive train parts.

What will happen when in 4 wheel?

Other than the two axles trying to go two distinctly different speeds? Nothing.

Seriously though, the front will be trying to go faster for a given engine RPM than the rear axle, which means the front will either be spinning, or the back will be dragging. Unless you're in really soupy mud or in snow... the results are not going to be good. Most likely, broken U joints would be the first damage.

I have driven around in the dirt quite a bit in a rig that had different ratios front to rear... By the time you need 4wd, and I mean truly need 4wd. It is no big deal..

The ratios are not that different..

If you are in low traction situations you are slipping anyway..

And I suspenct we are not dealing with a locker to further complicate issues..

4.56's are still a little weak for 37's i have 4.56s for my 35s and i wish i had 4.88s... my .02