help with support underneath hood? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used harbor freight polycarbonate wheels on a drill, they work great. Then blasted the hard to reach corners and louvers. Then sanded and prepped for paint.

I used harbor freight polycarbonate wheels on a drill, they work great. Then blasted the hard to reach corners and louvers. Then sanded and prepped for paint.
Well, it looks great! I'll hit the hard-to-reach spots on the hood with my sandblaster once I get it up and running.

That is a sizable gap, I'd say that support is likely bent down relative to where it should be. That being said I'd verify the cause of the gap before pushing the hood skin to the support and gluing it there- you may end up with a large depression in the center of the hood. The automix foam products pictured are actually made for this purpose(between skin and support) but require a special gun to dispense. The window urethane would also work, and if you got the one pictured you could apply it yourself with a standard caulking gun and skip the trip to the glass shop.

KIMG1100.JPG

KIMG1099.JPG

Screenshot_20220313-174242.png

Screenshot_20220313-174210.png

That is a sizable gap, I'd say that support is likely bent down relative to where it should be. That being said I'd verify the cause of the gap before pushing the hood skin to the support and gluing it there- you may end up with a large depression in the center of the hood. The automix foam products pictured are actually made for this purpose(between skin and support) but require a special gun to dispense. The window urethane would also work, and if you got the one pictured you could apply it yourself with a standard caulking gun and skip the trip to the glass shop.
Thanks for the pics and info. Cool to see an original (?) sticker on the underside of the hood.

I agree with you that the support is likely pushed down from where it should be. Seems like the most likely scenario, with someone / something heavy causing the bend.

I'll ask around in the local community to see if I can borrow one of those two-tube dispensers. I borrowed one from @Splangy a few years back to do the seam sealer along the rain gutter on the hard top.

Thanks for the pics and info. Cool to see an original (?) sticker on the underside of the hood.

I agree with you that the support is likely pushed down from where it should be. Seems like the most likely scenario, with someone / something heavy causing the bend.

I'll ask around in the local community to see if I can borrow one of those two-tube dispensers. I borrowed one from @Splangy a few years back to do the seam sealer along the rain gutter on the hard top.
Agreed, the original underhood decals are super neat. They'll be absolutely worthless since I'll no longer have a 2f in the rig but I'll still mask around em and save them for posterity when the hood gets sprayed. Solid game plan on coming up with a loaner 3m automix gun- that's definitely the best way to make this repair. If it were me, with that gap- I'd run with the flexible foam for this repair versus the Ridgid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom