Help with Rear Axle Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ahem DOUCHE ahem ahem.

Doesn't Porltand fly a lot of rainbow flags?

Yep, lots of your people around here. They don't bother me. It's spelled PORTLAND, by the way.

Almost every poster mentioned both seals. It's unfortunate that your reading comprehension is worse than your mechanical knowledge.

Based on your comments it would appear that you've never actually pressed one of these apart and you don't really understand what a sealed bearing is or why they would be damaged when the seals leak.

Lol, ok. I had no question about the bearings, or the fact that they may have incurred damage due to leaking seal(s). I don't doubt that they did. Did you ever see me type anything about bearings or not to replace them while doing this repair? Let me save you some time re reading through this post...I didn't mention that. Your reading comprehension: FAIL. I have actually done this repair, correctly. I replaced my bearings even though they were showing no signs of wear, just because it was the right thing to do. I don't feel the need to qualify myself about my knowledge on bearings, but for the sake of the conversation, let's just say I have more than enough knowledge to speak about bearings. Now, based on YOUR comments, especially your 1-5 list of total bull****, I could easily say that it doesn't look like you have ever done this repair. Your mechanical knowledge: FAIL. It looks more like you read someone's post about how to do it, and made your own paraphrased version. You might consider sticking to what you are good at. Perhaps refueling? For safety's sake I hope it's nothing more than that. Now go fly away Jetboy, fly away!

Last edited:
I need to get in on that Autozone education so I can talk s*** about "correctly" fixing things.

I need to get in on that Autozone education so I can talk s*** about "correctly" fixing things.

You might learn a thing or two from Vatozone's website. It was simply a parts diagram reference, obviously. If you had looked at it, you would have realized that there are other seals on the rear axle.

Yep, lots of your people around here. They don't bother me. It's spelled PORTLAND, by the way.

Lol, ok. I had no question about the bearings, or the fact that they may have incurred damage due to leaking seal(s). I don't doubt that they did. Did you ever see me type anything about bearings or not to replace them while doing this repair? Let me save you some time re reading through this post...I didn't mention that. I have actually done this repair, correctly. I replaced my bearings even though they were showing no signs of wear, just because it was the right thing to do. I don't feel the need to qualify myself about my knowledge on bearings, but for the sake of the conversation, let's just say I have more than enough knowledge to speak about bearings. Now, based on YOUR comments, especially your 1-5 list of total bull****, I could easily say that it doesn't look like you have ever done this repair. It looks more like you read someone's post about how to do it, and made your own paraphrased version. Now go fly away Jetboy, fly away!

So when you said you used a craftsman seal puller you were just kidding? For what possible purpose would you use a seal puller if you had pressed out the bearings? You're an expert mechanic yet you couldn't figure out how to remove a simple wiper seal with a drift? Sure. I believe you....

You've qualified your knowledge of the assembly when you placed significant value on the outer wiper seal that should never have contact with gear lube as if it were a necessary seal to keep gear lube from leaking out of the axle. Had you ever disassembled one, you'd know why that seal is basically a dust seal (I know mr. T calls it an "oil seal" although it never seals oil). And it was mentioned by just about every poster.

I'm having a hard time understanding why you're acting like such a douche when you're not knowledgeable about the particular repair that was asked about and apparently cannot read well either. What exactly were you trying to add to this topic?

Are you two peeter puffers sharing a computer over there or what? Lol.

:deadhorse:

So when you said you used a craftsman seal puller you were just kidding? For what possible purpose would you use a seal puller if you had pressed out the bearings? You're an expert mechanic yet you couldn't figure out how to remove a simple wiper seal with a drift? Sure. I believe you....

You've qualified your knowledge of the assembly when you placed significant value on the outer wiper seal that should never have contact with gear lube as if it were a necessary seal to keep gear lube from leaking out of the axle. Had you ever disassembled one, you'd know why that seal is basically a dust seal (I know mr. T calls it an "oil seal" although it never seals oil). And it was mentioned by just about every poster.

I'm having a hard time understanding why you're acting like such a douche when you're not knowledgeable about the particular repair that was asked about and apparently cannot read well either. What exactly were you trying to add to this topic?

I'd draw you a picture, but I'm fresh out of crayons. Do you know what a seal puller is? I was giving the OP an inexpensive option for a tool to use while doing the repair himself, if he chose to do so.

The seal puller is used to pull the WHEEL SEAL from the end of the axle housing. Is that making any sense to you now? You would have one hell of a time getting a seal puller into the area where the other "oil seal" is located without pressing the abs collar, tone ring, bearing etc. off first. Not that you would even need or use a seal puller to remove that particular seal.

Your second paragragh confirmed to me that you are so lost in the conversation, I'm not sure you can get back to where almost everyone else is. I HAVE DONE THIS REPAIR. Have you? Nevermind, it's apparent you haven't.

Ok Jeremy9A, let Jetboy use the computer now. His turn to type something foolish. I hear ya on the beating a dead horse...if they had an emoticon for beating a tard, I would post that one for you two clowns.

Let me convert this for you so it might make sense.

1. You're stuck on the axle shaft, it's assembly and all the bearing info you have so readily available via google. Great.

2. Do you know where the gear oil is coming from, if it is in fact leaking gear oil? Hint: it's in the middle of the axle.

3. I have never placed significant value on the "oil seal" close to the wms. I try to use correct terminology when making specific reference to parts so that others don't get confused, even if that seal is "basically a dust seal" as you mentioned. Go to the auto parts store near you and ask for "basically a dust seal" and see what they give you.

4. When did I ever say I was an expert mechanic? I didn't.

5. I can use a drift, it's actually pretty easy.

6. That "sealed bearing" you keep wanting to talk about is not a seal, nor is it sealed. It's obvious you're confused.

6. That "sealed bearing" you keep wanting to talk about is not a seal, nor is it sealed. It's obvious you're confused.

Really? That's interesting. How is the bearing lubricated? What type of lubrication is in the wheel bearing? How did it get there? Is it different from the gear lube that is used to lubricate the differential? If it is different, how would you suggest that the engineers keep it from mixing with the other gear lube in the axle?

All of this is really confusing. Help me.

Oh s***! Dina's autozone site says that the bearing is pre-lubed, and fully sealed!

Really? That's interesting. How is the bearing lubricated? What type of lubrication is in the wheel bearing? How did it get there? Is it different from the gear lube that is used to lubricate the differential? If it is different, how would you suggest that the engineers keep it from mixing with the other gear lube in the axle?

All of this is really confusing. Help me.

You're beyond help. Stick to your "Which spark plug wires should I get?" posts.

Disregard my last post. I don't want to have to explain more basics to you so that you derail this thread even further than you already have.

Oh s***! Dina's autozone site says that the bearing is pre-lubed, and fully sealed!

Lies. All lies. I've put a call in to Toyota to update the FSM as well. They also seem to think it's some sort of "sealed bearing". Idiots!

:beer:

I really doubt jet-tard has done the repair ever, he's been a long winded idiot on this site for years. I used a claw hammer to pull the seal, took 1/5th of a second. the bearings are sealed and can easily be checked for play, do not make this a giant job, it isn't. If the bearing has play get it replaced otherwise put it back together and get on with life.

Just had my Tacoma on the rack today, and noticed my L/R rim has some damp gear oil spots on it. :frown:

This repair is gonna be more fresh in my mind than I had hoped...

I really doubt jet-tard has done the repair ever, he's been a long winded idiot on this site for years. I used a claw hammer to pull the seal, took 1/5th of a second. the bearings are sealed and can easily be checked for play, do not make this a giant job, it isn't. If the bearing has play get it replaced otherwise put it back together and get on with life.

I've noticed.

I like that you used a claw hammer to pull the seal. It's like a heavy duty seal puller!

Just had my Tacoma on the rack today, and noticed my L/R rim has some damp gear oil spots on it. :frown:

This repair is gonna be more fresh in my mind than I had hoped...

Guess that's what you get for doing it right the first time, eh? Maybe you can invite Jet-tard over and you can do it together, then fix your truck again.

First time was on the 4runner...

This is gonna be the first time on the Tacoma at 206,000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom