Help with Hood latch Won’t Stay Closed — latch removal and install? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My hood latch that won’t stay closed. Just bounces the hood pin between open and closed.

I have pulled on the hood latch release several times and it seems like there is a return action on the cable but it’s hard to tell whether or not it’s a broken latch cable. I think not because I don’t have a problem with the latch releasing, the latch actually never locks.

I have sprayed penetrant and WD-40 all over the pivot points, and still no difference since the latch still won’t lock.

Our cruisers seem to be a little tricky, because it is surrounded by protective cover brace . Where some other cars have open access to the front and rear of the latch, ours is surrounded by the top brace. It holds several pieces down including the headlights and I can’t inspect the rear or bottom of the latch l. Just the top.

It is not a matter of simply removing the three bolts that hold down the latch. I also removed a 4th same size bolt on the brace but the latch still doesn’t budge.

So, it looks likes the top rails has to be removed in order to gain access to the lodge where at that point it looks like the latch needs to be pulled upwards in order to actually remove it. Can someone verify this? If so, I will end up having to take lots of pieces out. I would be great to get an idea of what actually needs to be removed to gain access to the latch in the LC. Tundra Tacoma and other Toyotas are not enshrouded like LC latches.

I am attaching the several photos of the hood pin that actually will simply now bounce up and down on the watch, but actually will never lock shut.

This happened out of the blue and I have never had issues with the latch before.

I have the grill removed to take pictures and get better angles to spray Wd40 but no luck. Thanks.

792E5D5B-9FE0-4583-848C-A2B4DB1390CF.jpeg

5CBAEE0E-5DC0-466E-B7B6-DC6AE1A1559A.jpeg

01D8778E-BB3E-45E4-8F0F-B13561FC54FB.jpeg

9752114A-AFF2-40DB-8C90-1DF274408FDE.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks like the latch is already closed. If the latch is closed before you shut the hood then the hood will bounce. One person in cab, pull hood latch release, other person at latch attached to the front valance with a Philips head screwdriver through the hole, pull up at same time cabbie is pulling release. Viola, shut hood as usual.

Thanks for your suggestion but as you can see I verified that it is not closed. Just bounces between open and closed position. Doesn’t stay closed. Picture with
0EA647AB-BF39-4CE7-8975-E401C6CF88F0.jpeg
the screwdriver shows where the hood pin hits the latch to close.

Any other ideas would be great. Surprised no one else has had this problem.

Last edited:
Release cable at handle, and make sure not hanging up. If you find cable travel/release is not the issue. You may just need to replace the latch.

I checked the level handle and the cable releases when I pull the extended slack with pliers. It returns the cable tension pretty good.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever had to remove their hood latch? Seems like a real PITA to have to remove alot of things just to get to the latch. Just want to make sure this is necessary.

Can someone verify if the top brace has to be removed in order to gain access to the latch? It looks like the latch has to be pulled upwards in order to actually remove it. If so, I will end up having to take lots of pieces out so it would be great to get an idea of what actually needs to be removed to gain access to the latch in the LC. Tundra Tacoma and other Toyotas are not enshrouded like LC latches.

Last edited:
Are you able to press down where your screwdriver is and actuate the lever/lock? Is it jammed there or won't hold in position once it's flipped over?
Hi, when I press down with my screwdriver the lever/lock will move it down without much fuss (I doused it with penetrant over the last few weeks). But it will bounce right back up when I release the screwdriver--- I think this is what you mean by it not holding the position. Closing the hood, it will close fully (flush with everything) but bounces back up once Iet go of my hand.

The latching mechanism is fail safe - to the locked position so if it’s not staying latched it’s obviously broken- somehow (which if it’s the latch it’s the first I’ve seen) (to me seems like cable is stuck and won’t release to re-set the latch.)

For those with broken cables, I’ve seen videos of drilling a hole into the latch mounting frame so you could access it with screwdriver to unlatch.

Yep, you can get the latch changed without too much disassembly. Does sound like a spring issue or cable not fully returning once interior latch release is let go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom