Help truck just died on freeway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was driving on the freeway and the truck just died while i was coasting it cranks but I cannot get the engine started.

Check a few obvious things. Dist wire. Batt cables.

Your best bet right now is getting you out of the freeway, being on the side of the road is not the best place to be diagnosing something. Tow it to a shop or your home then get on with diagnosing and post up what you found.

Check a few obvious things. Dist wire. Batt cables.

I can see the fan cranking under the hood and all the belts moving. Dist wire look good

I hope they bring a flat bed, if they are going to tow it with rear tires on the ground have them disconnect driveshaft from rear diff.

And it does have gas in the tank? Start with the basics -fuel, spark, and you have cranking confirmed.

BTW, since it's not in your sig line, what year truck do you have? That makes a difference in some cases.

And it does have gas in the tank? Start with the basics -fuel, spark, and you have cranking confirmed.

BTW, since it's not in your sig line, what year truck do you have? That makes a difference in some cases.

Thanks it's a 1992. I've had it towed to the shop but the shop is closed. I guess they'll take a look at it and have it diagnosed. We were headed out on a trip and didn't make it out of Los Angeles yet so we are gonna take our back up RAV4 car :(

For future reference how do I check to see if it's getting fuel and spark? I checked to make sure that all dist wires were plugged in properly.

Had this happen when I first got my rig: Check the 15 amp fuse (EFI) and the EFI relay. Mine popped the 15 amp fuse while driving; sounds similar to your situation. I highly recommend the alternative EFI relay from the Camry ala @jonheld. His information and knowledge of the early 80 Series is unrivaled in this forum.
Best wishes!

Had this happen when I first got my rig: Check the 15 amp fuse (EFI) and the EFI relay. Mine popped the 15 amp fuse while driving; sounds similar to your situation. I highly recommend the alternative EFI relay from the Camry ala @jonheld. His information and knowledge of the early 80 Series is unrivaled in this forum.
Best wishes!

The post above suggests that the cel working means it's not the EFI
I think I checked the relays and nothing was intact.

Here is a cursory check of all 3 fusible links in system:

Dome lights working?
Brake lights working?
When you turn the key to ON does the CHARGE LAMP light up?

If yes to all 3, then all 3 fusible links are intact.

Did it sputter or suddenly shut off.

Here is a cursory check of all 3 fusible links in system:

Dome lights working?
Brake lights working?
When you turn the key to ON does the CHARGE LAMP light up?

If yes to all 3, then all 3 fusible links are intact.

Does dome light include the front one? The back two never worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom