Help troubleshoot vibration when stopped at a light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If in Drive and at a stop, with brake depressed, I have developed a really bad vibration that resonates throughout the cabin. If I put it in neutral - gone. If moving at any speed - gone and everything smooth as can be.

Driveshaft?

Video doesn’t do it much justice, it’s quite loud when stopped.

Could it be that you need a frame weight or something else related to the TSB about cabin vibrations? There are a number of steps involved if the weight doesn't fix it. Maybe it's unrelated though.

EXHAUST BOOMING AT IDLE
Service Bulletin : 00304 - FEB 20, 2004 NHTSA Item #: 10006142
MUD Notes: Some 1998 – 2006 model year LC/LXs may exhibit exhaust booming after reaching operating temperature. To correct this there are various procedures for different vehicles. Installing a "Crossmember Damper Weight" (cast iron/rubber device on frame rail) or exhaust pipe dampers tuned to different frequencies.

Could it be that you need a frame weight or something else related to the TSB about cabin vibrations? There are a number of steps involved if the weight doesn't fix it. Maybe it's unrelated though.

EXHAUST BOOMING AT IDLE
Service Bulletin : 00304 - FEB 20, 2004 NHTSA Item #: 10006142
MUD Notes: Some 1998 – 2006 model year LC/LXs may exhibit exhaust booming after reaching operating temperature. To correct this there are various procedures for different vehicles. Installing a "Crossmember Damper Weight" (cast iron/rubber device on frame rail) or exhaust pipe dampers tuned to different frequencies.
Quite possibly, I've seen posts on here in the past about the frame weight. I need to go back and find those to see if it was a vibration that only happened in the conditions I'm experiencing it in - stopped while in Drive. This is also something that has developed or at least gotten much more noticeable in my truck compared to the first few years I had it, so I was thinking something "degenerative' like driveshaft wear/getting out of balance. I'll also have to read if that Service Bulletin condition is something that can appear over time or would be there from when built.

DS vibration is rotational, when you're stopped it's not moving. Have someone sit in the vehicle creating the condition and walk around to try to pinpoint where it's coming from. Could just be a plastic trim piece that's at a harmonic at idle RPM in drive, but not in N.

Will check the mounts, great suggestion, then TSB - hoping it's the mounts.

Check the plastic engine cover. Some of the hoses can get loose of the routing points attached to that and cause a similar sound.

Search "D" vibration. Typically a good tune-up solves! A key procedure of tune up is: Disconnecting the battery (negative post first) at beginning tune-up, than reconnect (negative post last) when done with tune.

Check the plastic engine cover. Some of the hoses can get loose of the routing points attached to that and cause a similar sound.
It is more than a sound, it is a feeling and it resonates throughout the cabin but can cause some sound in dash at times. I am in process of replacing engine and transmission mounts and, fingers crossed, hope that gets rid of it.

Search "D" vibration. Typically a good tune-up solves! A key procedure of tune up is: Disconnecting the battery (negative post first) at beginning tune-up, than reconnect (negative post last) when done with tune.
I Run BG 44K through a couple times a year, air filter is new, I could go for a MAF sensor cleaning and throttle body cleaning as well. Seems to have helped others after reading the posts found during my search, thanks for the suggestion!

I Run BG 44K through a couple times a year, air filter is new, I could go for a MAF sensor cleaning and throttle body cleaning as well. Seems to have helped others after reading the posts found during my search, thanks for the suggestion!
Tune up didn't help, turns out my driver's side Doug Thorley header is touching the frame. Not sure how I'll fix this!

Did this get resolved? I have the same on my 99 for years. I changed engine and tranny mounts. I am thinking maybe body mounts/bushings?

Many have resolved. But not all the same cause.
I will clean the throttle body and MAF sensor to see if it makes a difference. Thanks

Just found and corrected a similar issue ('05 LC) - not sure if related, but sharing in case it helps. When stopped while in Drive or Reverse with foot on brake, there was a plastic/tinny vibrating sounds coming from the engine compartment, which quickly goes away when starting to move or when put into neutral. I had a friend recreate while I took a looked under the hood, and discovered that the plastic engine cover (front passenger side corner) was vibrating quickly. Screws were tight -- there was just some extra flex in it. It's a short-term solution until I can solve it properly, but I wedged/fixed a sponge to create some tension (and to confirm this was the issue). Assuming it works, it buys me some time to fix it properly.

I noticed replacing the rear control arm bushings helped with this as well.
1. Plastic engine cover
2. Engine/tranny mounts
3. TSB booming stuff
4. Replace bushings everywhere. They are 20 years old now.

Just found and corrected a similar issue ('05 LC) - not sure if related, but sharing in case it helps. When stopped while in Drive or Reverse with foot on brake, there was a plastic/tinny vibrating sounds coming from the engine compartment, which quickly goes away when starting to move or when put into neutral. I had a friend recreate while I took a looked under the hood, and discovered that the plastic engine cover (front passenger side corner) was vibrating quickly. Screws were tight -- there was just some extra flex in it. It's a short-term solution until I can solve it properly, but I wedged/fixed a sponge to create some tension (and to confirm this was the issue). Assuming it works, it buys me some time to fix it properly.
Thanks. I will just remove mine and see if it make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom