Help sourcing Safari Turbo Exhaust Housing - .82AR (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yoda-g3

SILVER Star
Threads
The exhaust housing on my Safari unit cracked bad and I need to get a replacement.

My original parts list shows a CHRA-T04E compressor, T-4 Compressor Housing, and "Turbine Housing .82".

I have the unit getting pulled right now and with verify that it is a T3 or T4 flange and if it's divided or open, but I need to find a decent source for a replacement and need to make sure I'm getting my specs right. Any reputable sources out tere?

I was also thinking about getting it, the down pipe, and down pipe elbow ceramic coated if you think its worth it.

Any advice appreciated. :cheers:

If you are talking about the actual turbine housing, it is a T3 divided (twin scroll). It is not going to be able to be sourced to the specs that APS used from Garrett. They "might" do it as a custom or one-off though, I don't know. But the easiest/best option in my opinion is to just have a good, reputable, high-end turbo shop rebuild your turbo where they machine out the housing to your specs or set you up with a whole new cartridge with compressor housing to suit. I did this on my previous truck but lived in SoCal and Turbonetics was "local" and they took care of me. Not cheap.

I can tell you that I recently dealt with contacting APS about parts, etc and they pretty much told me that there is zero stock for this set-up and they consider it a "dead" item. Oh, and they wished me good luck.

I have been hanging out on some turbo forums and have read pretty much all positive stuff about these guys with regards to coatings:Swain Tech Coatings | Industrial Coatings | High Performance Racing Coatings | Technical coatings to solve problems of heat, wear, corrosion, and friction

Again, though, for me they are local. I'm getting the Safari exhaust manifold coated by them. I don't think I will bother with the turbo. And for the down pipe I used the fabric wrap and was more than happy with how it held up and performed.

I'm talking about the exhaust half of the turbo. The other 'intake' half is fine. Apparently it has been rubbing the motor mount and it cracked out the flange as well as put a couple stress cracks in the manifold I just found out. Awesome........

Are you saying that either way I might be screwed? I just had my mechanic measure the manifold flange and it doesn't line up to any T3 or T4 specs apparently. I really though I could just replace the exhaust half with a standard T3 / T4 component.

Sounds like this is getting more and more $$$$$$ :bang::bang::bang:

I'll have a chance later tonight to see it in person and get some pics, but I'm getting a bad feeling....

If you are talking about the actual turbine housing, it is a T3 divided (twin scroll). It is not going to be able to be sourced to the specs that APS used from Garrett. They "might" do it as a custom or one-off though, I don't know. But the easiest/best option in my opinion is to just have a good, reputable, high-end turbo shop rebuild your turbo where they machine out the housing to your specs or set you up with a whole new cartridge with compressor housing to suit. I did this on my previous truck but lived in SoCal and Turbonetics was "local" and they took care of me. Not cheap.

I can tell you that I recently dealt with contacting APS about parts, etc and they pretty much told me that there is zero stock for this set-up and they consider it a "dead" item. Oh, and they wished me good luck.

I have been hanging out on some turbo forums and have read pretty much all positive stuff about these guys with regards to coatings:Swain Tech Coatings | Industrial Coatings | High Performance Racing Coatings | Technical coatings to solve problems of heat, wear, corrosion, and friction

Again, though, for me they are local. I'm getting the Safari exhaust manifold coated by them. I don't think I will bother with the turbo. And for the down pipe I used the fabric wrap and was more than happy with how it held up and performed.

The exhaust manifold mounting flange/tubo turbine "hot side" flange is a twin scroll T3.

This turbo is a pretty common T3/T4 "hybrid" where the smaller turbine side spools up faster while the larger compressor side moves more air. The turbine side is a twin scroll T3 with a 0.82 AR. The compressor side is the 56 trim T04E.

When I took my turbo to Turbonetics to have them rebuild it, they took the turbine housing off, measured it and the turbines on the cartridge and told me it was a spec'd size for APS most likely and that nothing off the shelf from Garrett would be a direct bolt up fit. At that point I just told them to rebuild it properly and get it as close as possible to what the original set up was and pulled out a credit card.

The actual exhaust manifold is another story. If you have any cracks in it I would be very, very careful about going about repairing it. Mine had a rather large crack in it that had been repaired poorly and it was quite an epic journey to get it repaired.

Is there any chance of finding a new complete unit that would mate up to the Twin Scroll T3 flange? I can't imagine having a custom housing milled for a single use would be cheaper than $1,500 for a new unit. How much was your repair bill on it?

The exhaust manifold mounting flange/tubo turbine "hot side" flange is a twin scroll T3.

This turbo is a pretty common T3/T4 "hybrid" where the smaller turbine side spools up faster while the larger compressor side moves more air. The turbine side is a twin scroll T3 with a 0.82 AR. The compressor side is the 56 trim T04E.

When I took my turbo to Turbonetics to have them rebuild it, they took the turbine housing off, measured it and the turbines on the cartridge and told me it was a spec'd size for APS most likely and that nothing off the shelf from Garrett would be a direct bolt up fit. At that point I just told them to rebuild it properly and get it as close as possible to what the original set up was and pulled out a credit card.

The actual exhaust manifold is another story. If you have any cracks in it I would be very, very careful about going about repairing it. Mine had a rather large crack in it that had been repaired poorly and it was quite an epic journey to get it repaired.

Mine had a rather large crack in it that had been repaired poorly and it was quite an epic journey to get it repaired.

PS - Where did you have it done and how much $$$? Just curious if I should skip shopping around local and send it off to be done.

This is the Toyota part number for the expansion rings: 17151-17010

They are the same ones used on the HZ and HD exhaust manifolds so anywhere that can get you parts for those will help. One of the Canadian outfits from the vendors section can hook you up. G & S is close.

I paid $700 back in 2006 or so for the turbo work. I paid $350 for the welding repair of the exhaust manifold. I found a union guy out of NYC that works there but lives near me to do it. He's the kind of welder that routinely gets his stuff x-rayed, etc and it always has to be right. He said he'd never do it again.

You are finding out what I found out over a year ago - getting a "bolt-on" turbo to suit the Safari system is either going to be $$$ or difficult and time consuming.

T3 mount, preferably twin scroll, oil & water center section, internally wastegated. Just starting there before you get into specs is not easy to find. So you end up spec'ing one out and that's when the $$$ kicks in.

Ouch.

ForumRunner_20120425_081439.jpg

More cracks and a part number that isn't helpful....

ForumRunner_20120425_081454.jpg

Some internal scaling. I can't tell if its heat related or casting related...

ForumRunner_20120425_081507.jpg
ForumRunner_20120425_081439.jpg
ForumRunner_20120425_081454.jpg
ForumRunner_20120425_081507.jpg

That's not good....

ForumRunner_20120425_081712.jpg

Cracks....

ForumRunner_20120425_081731.jpg

Cracks.....

ForumRunner_20120425_081743.jpg

More cracks......

ForumRunner_20120425_081755.jpg
ForumRunner_20120425_081712.jpg
ForumRunner_20120425_081731.jpg
ForumRunner_20120425_081743.jpg
ForumRunner_20120425_081755.jpg

This is the Toyota part number for the expansion rings: 17151-17010

They are the same ones used on the HZ and HD exhaust manifolds so anywhere that can get you parts for those will help. One of the Canadian outfits from the vendors section can hook you up. G & S is close.

I'm trying to look up G&S. Is that their full name or is it short for something? The expansion rings look fine but if its going to sit for a few weeks I might as well order them in case this can be welded.

Ok, that is exactly where my manifold cracked at the mounting flange and it extended into the divider. Not sure about the other crack you show, is that part of the same crack from the top?

I will show these to the guy that welded mine.

Your turbo is truly fragged - but I guess you knew that.

A real option that has the possibility of being affordable for a turbo replacement is a Holset HX35/HX40 hybrid. The turbine side is the HX35 with a 12-cm^2 housing, which closely approximates a .89 AR and will spool fast enough for the 1FZ-FE. It is already a twin-scroll T3 mount - at least legit Holsets are. The HX40 compressor half moves more air. Both the HX35 & HX40 are available with oil & coolant center sections. They are internally waste-gated already too and it's pretty easy to slap on a boost regulator set to your specs. It also typically has minimally a 3" exhaust outlet which makes for an easy connection to your existing exhaust. Easy to rebuild, can handle lots of boost all day long, great durability, and can be found for maybe $500-800 in great condition or $150-300 needing rebuild.

Exhaust manifold expansion rings are not re-usable.

Ok, that is exactly where my manifold cracked at the mounting flange and it extended into the divider. Not sure about the other crack you show, is that part of the same crack from the top?

Small hairline on the other manifold not related to the flange crack.

Makes me feel slightly better that this might have been a design flaw and not rampant EGT's. We did notice some scuffing on the bottom of the turbo and were wondering if it was riding on the motor mount and causing upward pressure.

I know I'm not out of the high EGT woods, just hoping my valves don't resemble that backing plate....

Mine was cracked by abuse of the previous owner, not necessarily design flaw. My first set-up on my 1997 never had any issues.

Mine was cracked by abuse of the previous owner, not necessarily design flaw. My first set-up on my 1997 never had any issues.

Lol, couldn't let me live in blissful ignorance. :D

Looks like G&S is out of town until May 20th so I need to find another supplier for those damn rings...

Do you know what the Trim was on the exhaust side? 56 was the cold side right?

That looks like a standard T3 Turbine housing to me. Looks like a Internal gate 5 bolt .82A/R housing. Any reputable turbo shop should have those on the shelve.

How high were your EGT's? Cracks like that would make me thing they the turbo is hitting something and pushing against the manifold, the cracks in the turbine housing are tell tail of that. I worked with turbo's for years and have never seen one with thermal cracking that badly. It looks like that set-up has been though a lot of extreme heat cycles.

That looks like a standard T3 Turbine housing to me. Looks like a Internal gate 5 bolt .82A/R housing. Any reputable turbo shop should have those on the shelve.

Unfortunately I think the catch is that it has a twin scroll / divided T3 flange to accommodate the Safari manifold. Slightly different dimensions than a standard T3. I have emails in with about 8 turbo shops right now and two of them are already looking into it.

I found this guy with a divided T3, though the AR is .78 vs .82 and the trim on the compressor is 57 vs 56, but I'm not sure if that will matter much.

The biggest catch is that its a V-Band outlet instead of a 5 bolt, so I'd need to have an elbow mandrel bent. Oh ya, the $1,500 sucks as well..... :bang:

Turbocharger, Garrett **Ball Bearing** , T3/T4E 57 Trim Compressor : atpturbo.com

EDIT - CRAP! Didn't catch that it wasn't internally waste gated....

How high were your EGT's? Cracks like that would make me thing they the turbo is hitting something and pushing against the manifold, the cracks in the turbine housing are tell tail of that. I worked with turbo's for years and have never seen one with thermal cracking that badly. It looks like that set-up has been though a lot of extreme heat cycles.

Running my probe 6 inches off of #6 in the exhaust manifold I regularly sat between 1,200 and 1,400. Occasionally on a looooong hot pull 1,500. I don't think I ever pegged the 1600 mark. From what I've read around here that wasn't unreasonable for a gasser, especially reading temps pre turbo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom