HELP: searching for reason audio gets no power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.thecoldfish.com
Gotta love a 20 year old rig! Yesterday, I brought my rig home from my independent mechanic who had just repaired my failing ABS system. He also replaced the Hi-Lo shifter that I'd removed to unfreeze.

Two my surprise, I found that my audio system was not getting power. All non-audio buttons in the integrated audio/climate control unit appeared to work (e.g., defrost, circulate). The screen is working and displayed climate information. When I pushed the 'AUDIO' button on the L side of the screen, the screen displayed an 'AUDIO OFF' message. The antenna button had no effect. The back-up camera would not activate when I put the truck into reverse.

When I let my mechanic know about the problem, he suggested I look for a burnt fuse. I looked. All fuses checked out as fine. (But when I went to remove the fuse of the radio, which is behind the front PS kick plate, I saw some mild sparking in the fuse slot. Weird.)

Since the center console was still removed (I was cleaning up my PWR/2nd button, and I needed to repair a wire that lead to the seat heaters), I was able to look for other possible sources of my new problem. I found a couple wires in a harness that looked cut. (See pictures - one to show location, another zoomed in on cuts.)

These cuts look fresh. I'm not an electronics guy, but the FSM seems to say that power (ACC) is brought on that green wire. I can't tell what the orange and other wire might be for, nor have I yet found the other ends of the wire.

Am I on to something, here? Is this the cause of the audio power failure? Is there any harm in my fixing this apparent damage to see if it fixes the problem?

Thanks in advance for any assistance/insight/direction.

-- Jason

pic LC radio wiring 01 Medium.png

pic LC radio wiring 02 Medium.png

UPDATE: Bad news. Repairing those three wires with butt connectors did not fix the problem. And I think I've found a couple more broken wires in that bundle. Back to the EWD to try to figure this out in some more detail.

SOLVED: I found a fourth (and maybe a fifth) cut wire in the harness and fixed with butt connectors. But that didn't fix my power problem. So I decided to go back to the fuse box. Although the bus tested positive with my tester, replacing it fix my problem. (Visual inspection of the fuse didn't suggest it was burnt out.) The audio and backup camera worked! You can imagine how pleased I felt to have audio working again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom