Help - Rear Heater Mods - 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a rear heater on my '99 100 series and wanted to modify it to just blow air from inside the cabin and not hot air. Has anyone made this modification? My '99 does not have rear AC and I was trying to figure out a way to get more cool air to the back seat passengers. The blower works well and if it could pull air from the front driver side footwell then a bunch of cool air would make it to the back.

Any ideas? Anyone made this mod on an 80 series?

Thanks,

Andrew

Pull the water lines from the core and get a joint to splice them togther. Be sure to cap the bibs on the core to keep junk out of it. It is reversable but not a quickie to go back and forth. you could also place a mechanical valve in line under the vehicle but they don't often shut completely off. also it would be subject to damage or corrosion under there.

The vehicle has a backseat thermostat from slightly warm to hot so I was wondering if I could adjust that so that on the slightly warm there would be no heat at all.

Thanks for the info on the water pipes, that may be what I resort too.

Andrew

I don't think you can shut the flow completely off. that is why I was leaning toward pulling the hoses.

On the equipment I service we use quick disconnects on our chiller lines. We pump glycol (anti freeze) through them as well so it would be an easy way of going back and fourth. If you changed the polarity of the connectors between the lines you wouldn't be able to get them reconnected wrong and also be able to connect them in a loop keeping the lines sealed

Great idea Rick. How would you keep the core ends clean? would you make an additional "loop" to close off the core?

The quick disconnects have a male and a female end. You install them so that they are out of phase between the two lines, the heater core as 1 male and 1 female as well as the motor side. You would just plug them together. A loop for the core and a loop for the motor.
On our stuff we put the females on the same side of the circuit that way we can disconnect the chiller without loosing any fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom