Help on 2004 LX470...Wheel Spacer or Not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a fairly new LX470 Owner, currently driving a 2004 220K mile plus truck running 275 65 18 BFGs and an OME lift on it. Would love to throw some 1.25" spacers on it to push those wheels out a bit but didn't know if I'd regret it later with faster wear and tear on bushings and control arms or if it would also lock me in to have to continue to purchase tires of a similar size moving forward because I don't want too much offset. As it looks today, I don't like the look of the tires sitting inside the wheel well so it's 100% a visual thing about pushing those wheels out to at least run flush with the fender. Would love any thoughts on regrets or stories of success on a similar set up. Also curious to know if Slee's are the spacers of choice or if any other brand is recommended. Thanks in advance!
IMG_1694.jpeg

Slee or Bora are two of the best options. There are others as well.

I've got 1.5" spacers on mine. Not only do I not regret them for any reason, they've actually been a huge benefit off road. My truck has avoided body damage where other 100s took some, all because I was able to push myself away from an obstacle with the extra clearance.

If you're only looking into them for aesthetics, I wouldn't hesitate at all. I could see being more reluctant for off-road use but in my experience, there is zero down side.

There are pros and cons to using spacers. They're not inherently unsafe, but they do add an extra set of lug nuts/studs to the equation. If you're willing and able to inspect the spacer/hub lug nuts regularly, you should be fine. On the plus side, spacers widen your track width, lower your roll center and provide extra clearance behind the wheels to run snow chains, clear upgraded suspension components, run better wheels, etc. As far as recommendations, Slee/Spidertrax and BORA are the most recommended. Whichever you get, make sure they're hub-centric, made of a quality alloy and have the correct cutouts to clear the drive flange bolts on the front hubs.

I'm purchasing new custom-size 17" wheels and have himmed and hawed (sp?) on what offset to go with. Personally, the spacers are all juuuuust too much for me. I don't like seeing tire stick out. Flush is great. Flush is right around 20-30mm more "poke" than the factory 60 offset wheels, IMO. The spacers are limited to be pretty thick to clear the wheel lug studs.

I think the ideal spacer would be right at 1" - but nobody makes that. Or, the ideal wheel would be 40mm or 35mm offset.

That said, I like that the spacers (or lower offset wheels) widen the track and protect the body, like @MongooseGA says. I suspect wear on axle components and bearings is minimal. Downside for me would be one more part to remove during service, but that's a minor annoyance.

I have been running 1 in spacers from Just Differentials for over 10 years. These were installed for my Rock Warrior wheels and i have never had one single problem. The extra track width is great.

TLC Dan

Do Tundra spacers work too? There seems to be a lot more of thse on FB/CL than LC specifics.

Slee or Bora are two of the best options. There are others as well.

I've got 1.5" spacers on mine. Not only do I not regret them for any reason, they've actually been a huge benefit off road. My truck has avoided body damage where other 100s took some, all because I was able to push myself away from an obstacle with the extra clearance.

If you're only looking into them for aesthetics, I wouldn't hesitate at all. I could see being more reluctant for off-road use but in my experience, there is zero down side.
Thank you MongooseGA. Love hearing positive things about them :)

There are pros and cons to using spacers. They're not inherently unsafe, but they do add an extra set of lug nuts/studs to the equation. If you're willing and able to inspect the spacer/hub lug nuts regularly, you should be fine. On the plus side, spacers widen your track width, lower your roll center and provide extra clearance behind the wheels to run snow chains, clear upgraded suspension components, run better wheels, etc. As far as recommendations, Slee/Spidertrax and BORA are the most recommended. Whichever you get, make sure they're hub-centric, made of a quality alloy and have the correct cutouts to clear the drive flange bolts on the front hubs.
Thank you! Those extra details are super helpful...I never would have considered them. Thanks!

Flush is right around 20-30mm more "poke" than the factory 60 offset wheels, IMO. The spacers are limited to be pretty thick to clear the wheel lug studs.

I think the ideal spacer would be right at 1" - but nobody makes that. Or, the ideal wheel would be 40mm or 35mm offset.

My RW's with the minimum required 3/8" (9.5mm) spacers and 285's are perfectly flush with the front fenders. My effective offset is +40.5mm. So with 275's on stock wheels a 1" (25.4mm) spacer would be hella flush, yo. Also, Bora will make you any size spacer your heart desires.

Do Tundra spacers work too? There seems to be a lot more of thse on FB/CL than LC specifics.

Only on the rear.

Last edited:
I have been running 1 in spacers from Just Differentials for over 10 years. These were installed for my Rock Warrior wheels and i have never had one single problem. The extra track width is great.

TLC Dan
My RW's with the minimum required 3/8" (9.5mm) spacers and 285's are perfectly flush with the front fenders. My effective offset is +40.5mm. So with 275's on stock wheels a 1" (25.4mm) spacer would be hella flush, yo. Also, Bora will make you any size spacer your heart desires.

Only on the rear.

For a spacer/adapter of ~1" on the 100, is the idea that you trim down the original lugs? Or use new shorter lugs? I've only seen the big 1.25+ ones.

Agree with 1 inch is the best for 285s. IMO 1.25 is best for 275s. I'm running slee spidertrax 1.25s with 285 tires with 2" lift. Love the look and that's the only reason for me.

Recently, someone posted a bora wheel adapter failure on a facebook page. Said lugnuts on adapter loosened on a rear wheel and totaled their LC100 on freeway, of cause with photos of the truck but not much on the failed components. That's good example of a failure, a catastrophic failure, even can be deadly. Which probably caused by a negligence of the installer or tech did a repair on that wheel/tire. Yes, its another thing can fail, huge safety issue, also can easily missed when buttoning things up because those lugnuts are hidden under the tire. Its hard to catch compared to, unenlightened wheel lug nuts, or forgetting to put coolant after coolant system repair, or no oil in the engine after a oil change. Yes, these silly mistakes happened and happens at dealerships as well as at trusted mechanics.

Because of these reasons, I take care of tire rotations, and DIY maintenance. I verify lugnuts of adapters on every time I pull a tire. Most importantly, I'll make sure those are tight in case someone touches those. These are the important things to consider and inconveniences of having adapters. I will never use adapter if I trust and depend on dealerships or other shops to do tire rotations, maint, etc.

Here is mine next to a non lifted twin with 285s, twin has ugly fender flares though. Hope this helps to make your decision...

IMG_20190518_114343__01__01.jpg

For a spacer/adapter of ~1" on the 100, is the idea that you trim down the original lugs? Or use new shorter lugs? I've only seen the big 1.25+ ones.

Depends on the wheel. RW's have large cavities in-between the lug holes, I'm sure I could use 3/4" spacers (thinnest bolt on style) and have plenty of room for the studs to pass through. I can't remember what the inside of a stock wheel looks like off the top of my head.

Agree with 1 inch is the best for 285s. IMO 1.25 is best for 275s. I'm running slee spidertrax 1.25s with 285 tires with 2" lift. Love the look and that's the only reason for me.

Recently, someone posted a bora wheel adapter failure on a facebook page. Said lugnuts on adapter loosened on a rear wheel and totaled their LC100 on freeway, of cause with photos of the truck but not much on the failed components. That's good example of a failure, a catastrophic failure, even can be deadly. Which probably caused by a negligence of the installer or tech did a repair on that wheel/tire. Yes, its another thing can fail, huge safety issue, also can easily missed when buttoning things up because those lugnuts are hidden under the tire. Its hard to catch compared to, unenlightened wheel lug nuts, or forgetting to put coolant after coolant system repair, or no oil in the engine after a oil change. Yes, these silly mistakes happened and happens at dealerships as well as at trusted mechanics.

Because of these reasons, I take care of tire rotations, and DIY maintenance. I verify lugnuts of adapters on every time I pull a tire. Most importantly, I'll make sure those are tight in case someone touches those. These are the important things to consider and inconveniences of having adapters. I will never use adapter if I trust and depend on dealerships or other shops to do tire rotations, maint, etc.

Here is mine next to a non lifted twin with 285s, twin has ugly fender flares though. Hope this helps to make your decision...

View attachment 2513807
What size meats are those on your truck?

I did not do any mods to my wheel studs and i did use thread locker when securing the spacers. I had to re due this when i serviced the front bearings while performing a brake system refresh.

... its for the look, you can try and come up with other reasons but its cosmetic. I have run spacers of three different vehicles with no issues.
2F2C966F-3438-4CDE-8D53-FD48E32B5747.jpeg
9080DA06-9DB6-4A4D-A9CE-6F7A6E8B5894.jpeg

oem tire size and wheels
Bora 1.25 is flush with the fender
Perfect imo

Last edited:
I have spacers on a BMW so I get it--on road. Isn't the point of the wheel wells so tires can articulate plenty off road? Or not a factor?

I have spacers on a BMW so I get it--on road. Isn't the point of the wheel wells so tires can articulate plenty off road? Or not a factor?
Surprisingly, they don't seem to negatively affect the ability to "tuck" during compression at the normal thicknesses I saw when researching this (1.25-1.5"). They do make rubbing a little worse on the front wheels by moving the rotation circle of the front tires outwards and into the fender liner.

Tuck-wise, all good, though. Toyota was pretty conservative on the stock wheel offset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom