Help needed with A/T tire decision.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More puncture resistance at lower pressures? Somehow I wasn’t expecting that.

Deleted.

Ok...I'm getting close. If most of driving is pavement and I probably tow a 2000 lb trailer/boat about 20 times a year, am I better off comfort and handling wise staying with a P series size or due the stouter LT sizes actually help the LC? Thx

For any brand/model tire, the LT will be on more aggressive side. With taller tread elements, stiffer and more durable tire construction including firmer tire compound, higher load rating, and more weight. Relative to its P brethren, this will translate into an incrementally firmer ride, louder tire, and more truckish handling on account of unsprung weight. On the plus side is more overall durability.

My eyes are bleeding from all the posts and threads I've read on tires..both here and other forums. Need help deciding which of below will be best for comfort and noise, 90% DD...10% in fields, hunting, etc. In short, the most most comfortable, quiet, solid gripping A/T tire.

I will keep size mostly the same...285/65/18 or similar. Right now I have Grand Treks and they are too squishy. I've ruled out KO2's.

1. Cooper AT3s
2. Cooper AT3 LXT
3. Nitto Grappler
4. Falken AT3

Would love to hear any comparisons from users on comfort, noise, and handling aspects. Thanks..John
This is an old post - but curious which tire you went with? Thanks

Went with Cooper AT3's and absolutely love them. Comfort is great, quiet, and they handle very well on road. I'd get them again.

How did mpg and power fair? Assuming mpg dropped a bit, was there a perceptible loss of power? Weight is what holds me back from the AT3.

I have run both the Falken AT3 and the Cooper XLT. Falkens were great and very quiet. Great wet road traction.
Just recently installed 275/65r20 Cooper AT3 XLT on my 570 and my expereience is very similar to the Falken AT3. Quiet. Great tread life and warranty. Wet weather performance is top notch as well.
For me it came down to price between going back to the Falken or swapping to the new cooper variant. both tires function well for my needs, which are are mix of crappy Louisiana roads and dirt/gravel/mud farm roads.

I am looking for size increase without mods.
stock 285/50/R20 is at 31.2"

275/65r20 is at 34.1" - did you have to do any suspension modification to your 570 for fit/no rubbing etc.?

I have also read here that 285/55/R20 would be a slight size increase (32.3") from stock that wouldn't require mods.

I know this is a old post but if any one looking for a AT tire, I've got the new Toyo AT3 and it rides great and looks good too, I'd recommend them. I live in a 4 seasons area and was looking for the 3 peak rating. I have falken at3 on my 4 runner now and I like them but I like the toyo at3 better.
Road noise is not bad at all and does great in rain. With Ko2 I had some hydroplaning over a certain area to our cabin and tested with toyo at3 and it did great. I had Ko2 previously and it was louder. I have 2 sets of wheels and swap them to my toyo mt for more technical trails. Toyo AT3 2nd is falken at3 for me

15943078015535804979495735936322.jpg

Last edited:
I've got the new Toyo AT3 and it rides great and looks good too, I'd recommend them. I live in a 4 seasons area and was looking for the 3 peak rating. I have falken at3 on my 4 runner now and I like them but I like the toyo at3 better.
Road noise is not bad at all and does great in rain. With Ko2 I had some hydroplaning over a certain area to our cabin and tested with toyo at3 and it did great. I had Ko2 previously and it was louder. I have 2 sets of wheels and swap them to my toyo mt for more technical trails. Toyo AT3 2nd is falken at3 for me

View attachment 2366130

Any more shots of your truck with the SCS’s?

275/65r20 is at 34.1" - did you have to do any suspension modification to your 570 for fit/no rubbing etc.?

I have also read here that 285/55/R20 would be a slight size increase (32.3") from stock that wouldn't require mods.

I have the XLT in 275/65r20 on a 2010 LX570. I adjusted the height control for stock to be a little higher and also used a heat gun to massage the front wheel well plastic to push it out of the way.

Looks great! Big fan of those wheels, looks like you have UCAs, typical questions:
- any rubbing? cutting or trimming required?
- lift?
I have king's 2.5 with total chaos uppers. fronts was 2.5" lift but it settled a little under 2". I don't want to add any more preload so I might add a Toyota coil spacer. I have the 2720 rears about .5 lift, at the time I didn't need a heavy duty spring but I just recently sold my truck and I picked up a teardrop trailer and hauling more with lc I will swap out rears here soon . But at the moment it rides great, soaks everything up.

Trimming was just around the front inner fender liner and removed the mud flaps.

I have king's 2.5 with total chaos uppers. fronts was 2.5" lift but it settled a little under 2". I don't want to add any more preload so I might add a Toyota coil spacer. I have the 2720 rears about .5 lift, at the time I didn't need a heavy duty spring but I just recently sold my truck and I picked up a teardrop trailer and hauling more with lc I will swap out rears here soon . But at the moment it rides great, soaks everything up.

Trimming was just around the front inner fender liner and removed the mud flaps.
@RUMble907 The Kings instructions say no spacers.

I went with 275/60/R20 at 33" minor rubbing at full lock at normal height, besides tire size look at tire dimensions on spec page for actual size. Some manufactures add a little more beef to the tires. Tire Size Calculator - Compare Tire Sizes | Tacoma World has a great tire size comparison tool and helps with finding alternate sizes as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom