Help needed with a sheet metal part - Anyone have a rusted out tub near Raleigh, NC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted this in a few FJ40 Facebook groups, but didn't get any help. I'm looking for a section of the driver's side firewall support channel. The one in my '73 40 had a piece cut out of it for some reason (see attached picture for section I need....).

I called Cruiser Corps, and I can get one from them, but they have a minimum $150 "cutting fee" for sheet metal. Figured I'd reach out to some local folks first, to see if I could find something less costly around here.

If anyone has an old tub or firewall laying around that isn't needed, please send me a PM. I'll gladly come over and trim out the section I need....

Thanks.

IMG_0306-2.jpg

Any chance a metal shop near you could bend up a replacement? It would probably be easier than trying to find someone who is willing to part with small pieces of a tub, unless you buy the whole thing. It could probably be done in 2 pieces very easily, or possibly a more complex 1 piece. Unless you are trying to go for a museum quality restore, that would be the path I would take.

Any chance a metal shop near you could bend up a replacement? It would probably be easier than trying to find someone who is willing to part with small pieces of a tub, unless you buy the whole thing. It could probably be done in 2 pieces very easily, or possibly a more complex 1 piece. Unless you are trying to go for a museum quality restore, that would be the path I would take.

I tried that route first, but it'll cost more than the $150 minimum from Cruiser Corps. I could fab one myself, but it would look totally out of place with the rest of the channel, since it has that raised ridge in the middle of it.

I'm not making a museum restoration, but I also don't want it looking like I cobbled together something either.

I tried that route first, but it'll cost more than the $150 minimum from Cruiser Corps. I could fab one myself, but it would look totally out of place with the rest of the channel, since it has that raised ridge in the middle of it.

I'm not making a museum restoration, but I also don't want it looking like I cobbled together something either.

Have you checked with any of your local metal suppliers or fab shops? Anyone with a break or press and some fab skills could probably make a pretty convincing replica. You arent going to be seeing it too much behind the engine and hood.

Does it need to be that big? I cut a piece of ribbed floor out of a 71 tub that had a piece of that on the back. I only need the ribbed floor piece. I will snap a pic tomorrow and post up what I have.

Does it need to be that big? I cut a piece of ribbed floor out of a 71 tub that had a piece of that on the back. I only need the ribbed floor piece. I will snap a pic tomorrow and post up what I have.

Unfortunately, yes. The curve where the arrow is pointing was cut out.....that's what is making it really difficult, if I was to fabricate a new piece. :(

That piece is not as difficult as you may think. A little time with a shrinker and stretcher will handle it. The piece below started flat, then bent to 90 degrees then shrunk and stretched.

290224_268772456486986_1203848245_o.jpg

Completed and primed
322628_268772869820278_1405069747_o.jpg

Facebook is great for funny memes and showing pictures of what you had for dinner. Facebook is not a good source for Land Cruiser specific information.

That firewall rib section was cut out by a PO in order to fit a bigger diameter brake booster. The firewall rib doesn't really do much. The firewall is plenty strong enough to last forever without it. Plenty of folks have cut them just like yours with no issues whatsoever. Unless you are attempting a 100 point restoration, I would say to leave the cut section as is and install the booster of your choice. If the aesthetics of the cuts bother you, just cut off the top piece and grind it smooth. Leave the bottom as-is. Nobody will notice that the bottom is cut. It will be hidden below the booster and MC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom