Help me with my trip to Trail Tailor to pick up my new FJ60 and drive from CA to TX. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like the title says - I'll be flying up to Trail Tailor in Redding CA to pic up my new FJ60, then drive it back to McKinney, TX. If there's a different place I should post this please let me know.

The build

The planned route
1652752980079.png

How I'm planning to split the drive up

1652753031242.png

So I'll land in Redding around noon on the 25th. Figure Jason will probably kick me out by 5pm at the latest and I'll start my drive. First (and probably my biggest question). Does anyone know of a cool place I could pull over around the Half Moon Bay area to sleep that night. I was thinking of taking a sleeping bag and just camping out in the LC the first night.

The 26th I plan to drive the PCH all the way down to Hermosa Beach (to my sister-in-laws place). My daughter's out there for two months doing an internship so I'll spend a few days with here.

Leave Hermosa on the 30th and drive to Tucson...or Sonoita if there's a chance @onur would be around and there's a good place to camp out around there.

Once I leave AZ I think it's slim pickings for cool places to stop see. I just watched Hell or High Water so I guess I'll stay in Midland one night and possibly make a withdrawl. :cool:

Highway 1 is very slow going... just to keep in mind with your schedule. Driving through Big Sure is incredible...
There are some really nice campgrounds in the Santa Cruz area.
If I were you, I'd stop in Monterey or Santa Cruz and find a campground there.
If you're driving late and trying to find a spot to just pull over and close your eyes might tricky, but can be done. So much private land there, but also a ton of vanlivers, drifters, hobo's etc. that sleep everywhere and anywhere.

I don’t know how much new paint etc is inside the cabin but you may not be able to tolerate the off gassing of fresh coatings if you’re thinking of sleeping inside it.
And even if you can tolerate it, it’s not a good idea.
I wouldn’t even attempt it if the interior has new stuff in it. And new paint continues to off-gas isocyanate vapors for a long long time as it slowly cures.
It’s odorless and super toxic.

I don’t know how much new paint etc is inside the cabin but you may not be able to tolerate the off gassing of fresh coatings if you’re thinking of sleeping inside it.
And even if you can tolerate it, it’s not a good idea.
I wouldn’t even attempt it if the interior has new stuff in it. And new paint continues to off-gas isocyanate vapors for a long long time as it slowly cures.
It’s odorless and super toxic.
Paints been done for 5 months...but the carpet just went in.

Highway 1 is very slow going... just to keep in mind with your schedule. Driving through Big Sure is incredible...
There are some really nice campgrounds in the Santa Cruz area.
If I were you, I'd stop in Monterey or Santa Cruz and find a campground there.
If you're driving late and trying to find a spot to just pull over and close your eyes might tricky, but can be done. So much private land there, but also a ton of vanlivers, drifters, hobo's etc. that sleep everywhere and anywhere.
I lived in CA for 12 years...so if I never have to drive on the 5 again I'll be happy. Know it'll be slow going...but I'm planning for 12 hrs of driving down PCH. With the 2F there was little chance of me speeding anyway. 😂

I lived in CA for 12 years...so if I never have to drive on the 5 again I'll be happy. Know it'll be slow going...but I'm planning for 12 hrs of driving down PCH. With the 2F there was little chance of me speeding anyway. 😂
hah awesome... after 10 years in CA I escaped to Utah myself. Texas seems nice. Enjoy the trip!

I'll donate $100 to the trip - who's gonna match?

Nelson - start a youtube channel, post daily vids, we can live vicariously through you=)

Between Redding and McKinney and that’s the route you decide to take🤣 yuck!!!
No wonder the title says you need help.
Why not drive through the Sierras, Utah,
Yellowstone, or the Colorado Rockies.

From Las Cruces, NM veer NE on US 70 and visit White Sands NP, then on to Alamagordo. East out of Alamagordo US 82 crosses the Sacramento Mountains and Lincoln NF. Camping spots in Lincoln NF.
Thanks, unfortunately I don't have the time to deviate from this route.

Between Redding and McKinney and that’s the route you decide to take🤣 yuck!!!
No wonder the title says you need help.
Why not drive through the Sierras, Utah,
Yellowstone, or the Colorado Rockies.
😂

My daughter wouldn't be happy if I didn't stop to see her.....and I've driven those areas before. I don't feel like dealing with the carb and altitude changes on the drive this time either. Plus want to check out AZ.

😂

My daughter wouldn't be happy if I didn't stop to see her.....and I've driven those areas before. I don't feel like dealing with the carb and altitude changes on the drive this time either.
Nice build and I’m sure your thrilled!
I see. Tell your daughter your taking her out of CA. Aside from the Sierras the whole state needs to slide into the ocean.

Nice build and I’m sure your thrilled!
I see. Tell your daughter your taking her out of CA. Aside from the Sierras the whole state needs to slide into the ocean.
Lived there for 11yrs....was very happy to leave. (the state can stay....just need all the idiot libs to go into the ocean). I'm really hoping after the two months the SoCal infatuation will wear off and I'll get her back to TX.

Last edited:
When you come through Midland, I would love to see this truck. I'll be in Sedona, AZ most of next week, but I will be back in town Saturday the 28th, so I should be here when you pass through.

Take a quick drive through Saguaro NP when you go through Tuscon. The Saguaros and Palo Verde Trees should still be blooming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom