Help me choose a new family tent! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
Hi Guys,

So I have decided with my family that roof top tents are just not working for me.

I have decided to switch to a high quality ground tent. I am looking for something that has thick material and is high quality. I want to be able to stand up in it and it has to be set up quickly.

high quality / quick setup / stand up room.

I have read a bunch of threads on here and it seems I have narrowed it down to the kodiak canvas, springbar and turbo tents.

Kodiak Canvas

Springbar Tents Official Site - Best Tent Made In America

Tents | Camping Tents | Kids Tents - Blackpine Sports

I want to make sure I am not missing any other quality mfg's out there? what are people's opinions on which tents are the best quality. I want something that I can care for and will last a long time and I don't mind paying more for nice quality and stitching, material, etc.

Thanks,

Noah

I have heard good things about the Kodiak and the Springbar tents but I don't have any personal experience with them.

May check out Oztents as well. I have no experience with them but they seem to be of excellent quality. I like the design and ease/speed of setup and take down. They remind me of the old canvas campfire or baker tents.

Oztent USA - The Original 30 Second Tent.

I just saw these Gazelle tents recently. I know nothing about them as far as strength and quality but they setup quick. Neat design and maybe worth a look.

Pop-Up Camping Hub Tents and Portable Gazebos

I have a couple of Eureka! brand tents and for the money I have been really impressed with them. I have a Eureka! Twister 6 that they don't make any more and a Eureka! Timberline 6 Outfitter. I am very pleased with both of these.

Eureka!

This is the Timberline I have, the 6 Outfitter. I have had it a long time. Very well made but less room as far as standing and moving around but great for a more compact tent to pack up when you need it. It looks like the framing and maybe fabric changes have been made as mine has aluminum poles and different connections. We have used it for 4 people and it is just enough for sleeping and gear. A bit snug for hanging out but not bad.

https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/tents/backpacking/timberline®-sq-outfitter-6-person-tent

I do have one of the old canvas baker style 4 person tents. They are really well made and very versatile with all the options on how to set the walls up. I have the end wall with the hole for the stove pipe (don't have a heating stove). Mine was made by Duluth Pack but Frost River makes these same canvas tents now. Fairly big and heavy packed up and not quick on setup and take down.

https://www.frostriver.com/shop/canoe-camp/campfire-tent/

Good luck.

Last edited:
have a kodiak canvas , with the porch and the bug net , love the tent ,,set up is ok not to speedy but worth the time ,. my only negative is the weight it is heavy

I just bought a North Face Wawona 6. I have not taken it out yet but I had the same criteria you do. I may only stay one night per site so setup and take down are big to me. The canvas ones looked like they take too long to setup and take up too much precious cargo space in the cruiser. The Wawona does not need a rain fly to be water proof so it eliminates the last step in the setup. If you want a thicker material you may have to try canvas. It has a good warranty from North Face.

I have a Turbo Deluxe 6 and I absolutely love it. Quick to go up and sturdy. I also have an old Coleman which is the same design and Spingbar and Kodiak... it is a great tent but a little more difficult to setup and it takes up more space in the vehicle.

It probably really depends on the size that you need. For something smaller I would go with the Turbo 4... larger would be the Springbar. If you are in the middle I would say Turbo for multi season short stays and Springbar for longer stays.

I have a Turbo Deluxe 6 and I absolutely love it. Quick to go up and sturdy. I also have an old Coleman which is the same design and Spingbar and Kodiak... it is a great tent but a little more difficult to setup and it takes up more space in the vehicle.

It probably really depends on the size that you need. For something smaller I would go with the Turbo 4... larger would be the Springbar. If you are in the middle I would say Turbo for multi season short stays and Springbar for longer stays.

how does the turbo tent compare you think with the kodiak 10x14 flex bow tents as far as setup time? the flex bow tents are advertised as a one person quick setup, is that accurate? I am leaning towards the kodiak now. It would be nice to have something that sets up quick so it can be used for an overnight or a weeklong trip.

Realistically I like our pop up tent trailer but it is showing it's age and am thinking of selling it to fund a nice tent setup with cots. I already have a nice tent heater and an arb fridge in the car so everything the pop up provides can be moved to the tent, besides some extra packing room. Ideally I am trying to avoid having to purchase another expensive rv.

Turbo tent is 5 minutes if you stake it out... less if you don't. The bow tents take a little longer but not terrible.

Turbo tent is an easy 1 person job... bow tents can be done by 1 but easier with two. (At least the old Coleman is)

The other drawback to the Kodiak or Springbar is that you must stake them out before putting the top up. I don't know about you but I always find that there is a rock or pine cone right in the middle of the tent.... the turbo tent can be moved a round and repositioned when the bow type tents cannot. But that is probably a very little thing.

My Coleman is an 8 x 12 and I do love it so I can pretty easily recommend either type. Just buy the best one you can afford.... and then buy a cheap lightweight pop up for summer because these heavy Canada's suckers can get hot!

Turbo tent is 5 minutes if you stake it out... less if you don't. The bow tents take a little longer but not terrible.

Turbo tent is an easy 1 person job... bow tents can be done by 1 but easier with two. (At least the old Coleman is)

The other drawback to the Kodiak or Springbar is that you must stake them out before putting the top up. I don't know about you but I always find that there is a rock or pine cone right in the middle of the tent.... the turbo tent can be moved a round and repositioned when the bow type tents cannot. But that is probably a very little thing.

My Coleman is an 8 x 12 and I do love it so I can pretty easily recommend either type. Just buy the best one you can afford.... and then buy a cheap lightweight pop up for summer because these heavy Canada's suckers can get hot!

I am considering the vx because of that reason so there is more ventilation when needed. I figure as long as it sets up in 10-15 total with cots I am happy with that.

I have heard good things about the Kodiak and the Springbar tents but I don't have any personal experience with them.

May check out Oztents as well. I have no experience with them but they seem to be of excellent quality. I like the design and ease/speed of setup and take down. They remind me of the old canvas campfire or baker tents.

Oztent USA - The Original 30 Second Tent.

I just saw these Gazelle tents recently. I know nothing about them as far as strength and quality but they setup quick. Neat design and maybe worth a look.

Pop-Up Camping Hub Tents and Portable Gazebos

I have a couple of Eureka! brand tents and for the money I have been really impressed with them. I have a Eureka! Twister 6 that they don't make any more and a Eureka! Timberline 6 Outfitter. I am very pleased with both of these.

Eureka!

This is the Timberline I have, the 6 Outfitter. I have had it a long time. Very well made but less room as far as standing and moving around but great for a more compact tent to pack up when you need it. It looks like the framing and maybe fabric changes have been made as mine has aluminum poles and different connections. We have used it for 4 people and it is just enough for sleeping and gear. A bit snug for hanging out but not bad.

https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/tents/backpacking/timberline®-sq-outfitter-6-person-tent

I do have one of the old canvas baker style 4 person tents. They are really well made and very versatile with all the options on how to set the walls up. I have the end wall with the hole for the stove pipe (don't have a heating stove). Mine was made by Duluth Pack but Frost River makes these same canvas tents now. Fairly big and heavy packed up and not quick on setup and take down.

https://www.frostriver.com/shop/canoe-camp/campfire-tent/

Good luck.

The Gazelle tent received great reviews on amazon. They seem to use a similar system of support as the much more expensive shiftpod, an insulated tent that is a favorite of the Burning Man crowd.

Montana Canvas - Wedge Tent I will throw one more in the mix. My family and I have been using a wedge tent for the last 4 years. It has withstood 80 mph wind gusts and I can set it up by myself in less than 20 minutes including the stove. Let me know if you want "action" shots... I have plenty.
Cheers,
Scot

I have a 3 person Springbar. I love it. It’s too much trouble to set up for a few of hours of sleep. It’s perfect for a couple of nights or more.

Plus
Well built
Stable
Roomy
Easy set up once it’s laid out
Availability of spare parts and repairs

Minus
Bulky when packed
Cumbersome for one person to fold up

thx for everyone's help, I have pretty much decided on the 10x14 kodiak canvas vx tent.

Did you end up buying this one ? I was looking at them earlier this evening trying to decide if it would be a good fit for me and the family. Me and the wife plus 4 kids.

Did you end up buying this one ? I was looking at them earlier this evening trying to decide if it would be a good fit for me and the family. Me and the wife plus 4 kids.

I am still pondering. I have decided though that having tents and stuff attached to my vehicle just does not work overall. Sold off my RTT. Basically I need to have a setup for short trips and longer trips. The 80 has a sleeping platform that works well for a few nights for my daughter and I but need a tent for the 4 of us for short trips. We have a tent trailer for longer trips but it is showing it's age. I would like to eventually get a smaller enclosed rv trailer for longer trips.

Coleman has a few tents on amazon that have peaked my interest. They use a quick pop up device that allows you to open and fold them up quickly in only a few minutes. I may go that route as the mid size one is under $200.

I am still pondering. I have decided though that having tents and stuff attached to my vehicle just does not work overall. Sold off my RTT. Basically I need to have a setup for short trips and longer trips. The 80 has a sleeping platform that works well for a few nights for my daughter and I but need a tent for the 4 of us for short trips. We have a tent trailer for longer trips but it is showing it's age. I would like to eventually get a smaller enclosed rv trailer for longer trips.

Coleman has a few tents on amazon that have peaked my interest. They use a quick pop up device that allows you to open and fold them up quickly in only a few minutes. I may go that route as the mid size one is under $200.

Maybe time for a little camp trailer to haul your gear around in ? What models of tent are you looking at on the Amazon ?

I have a couple of the Coleman signal mountains that I’m happy with. I’ve had to replace a knuckle so I keep a few spares. I found them cheap at a discount store in town. Not a bad way to go and cheap enough that I wouldn’t get upset if it doesn’t last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom