HELP!! - Looking at a '94 - What should I pay special attention to? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The intake hose is likely taped because it is cracked. Factor in $100 +/- to get a new one. Diagnostic port needs a cover. Otherwise a very clean engine for the mileage.

@Gryphon did the seller say if it's ever had a head gasket and valve job done? Some don't need it for 300,000+ miles, but it can be a bit stressful wondering if it'll let go tomorrow or in 5 years.

If you can, do a compression test and leak down as part of a PPI. If you end up getting it, run an oil analysis when you change it for the first time to give you an idea of engine wear.

@Gryphon did the seller say if it's ever had a head gasket and valve job done? Some don't need it for 300,000+ miles, but it can be a bit stressful wondering if it'll let go tomorrow or in 5 years.

If you can, do a compression test and leak down as part of a PPI. If you end up getting it, run an oil analysis when you change it for the first time to give you an idea of engine wear.
He hasn't mentioned a head gasket and valve job. But he says he has the receipts for any work he's had done on it. So, I'll be going through those.

If I buy it, I think I'll drop it off at the local Land Cruiser specialty shop and just have them go though the whole truck and tell me what it needs.

White with fabric interior and only 226k? You better snap it up.

Do you want to upgrade the seats to leather with heaters? I know a guy who wants tk swap

Congrats! Let me know if you want a hub cover. I know there is one at the junkyard.

Congrats on joining the 93/94 club. Best combination of engine, dash and transmission according to those of us who own them... :) A 94 with cloth has to be pretty rare. Cloth vs leather will make it harder to replace the rear jump seat. You trip over leather ones in the dump, cloth are a lot more rare. Only other thing I'll note that hasn't been mentioned, if it's a 94 with a CDL switch, the switch wasn't put there by the factory. The center diff was controlled by the "computer" and only engaged in low range. The button just plugs in though, the plug was still there in the harness, very common mod along with the pin 7 mod.

Enjoy it ! And don't take it apart and replace everything you can find over the next three years. Leave that for the less intelligent like me.

Oh, DON"T REMOVE THE TWO SCREWS ON THE VAF ! The paper clip retainer comes off to unplug it. Tons of people have screwed them up that way, and they are NLA. Couple of vendors rebuild them though.

Ever in NE GA ? I have a set of running boards that I don't want but can't bring myself to trash.

Jason

Congrats on joining the 93/94 club. Best combination of engine, dash and transmission according to those of us who own them... :) A 94 with cloth has to be pretty rare. Cloth vs leather will make it harder to replace the rear jump seat. You trip over leather ones in the dump, cloth are a lot more rare. Only other thing I'll note that hasn't been mentioned, if it's a 94 with a CDL switch, the switch wasn't put there by the factory. The center diff was controlled by the "computer" and only engaged in low range. The button just plugs in though, the plug was still there in the harness, very common mod along with the pin 7 mod.

Enjoy it ! And don't take it apart and replace everything you can find over the next three years. Leave that for the less intelligent like me.

Oh, DON"T REMOVE THE TWO SCREWS ON THE VAF ! The paper clip retainer comes off to unplug it. Tons of people have screwed them up that way, and they are NLA. Couple of vendors rebuild them though.

Ever in NE GA ? I have a set of running boards that I don't want but can't bring myself to trash.

Jason
Thanks for the advice.

As for the running boards, I appreciate the offer, but I think I'm gonna put sliders on it.

Thanks for the advice.

As for the running boards, I appreciate the offer, but I think I'm gonna put sliders on it.
Solid advice @Spdstr280Z about the friggin VAF. Don’t **** with the two screws. Just don’t. I’d rather get a reverse vasectomy and have another baby at 60yo than undo those two screws. Sorry if that example hits home to some of you out there. :flipoff2:

Edit: I’m only in my 40s. :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

01010_1MTFFfYV6n8z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

What are the 2 switches just above the shifter
on the dashboard to the left of the cigarette lighter?

They're rocker switches with orange lights on the switches on each side of the rear heater switch. They are not mentioned in the original owners manual, which was in the glove box of the truck.

Solid advice @Spdstr280Z about the friggin VAF. Don’t f*** with the two screws. Just don’t. I’d rather get a reverse vasectomy and have another baby at 60yo than undo those two screws. Sorry if that example hits home to some of you out there. :flipoff2:

The good news is that I don't know what a VAF is, so hopefully I won't be screwing around with it by accident. 😁

View attachment 2999599
What are the 2 switches just above the shifter
on the dashboard to the left of the cigarette lighter?

They're rocker switches with orange lights on the switches on each side of the rear heater switch. They are not mentioned in the original owners manual, which was in the glove box of the truck.
That is not stock to your cruiser. Someone added that switch along the way.

Solid advice @Spdstr280Z about the friggin VAF. Don’t f*** with the two screws. Just don’t. I’d rather get a reverse vasectomy and have another baby at 60yo than undo those two screws. Sorry if that example hits home to some of you out there. :flipoff2:

I undid the forbidden screws once upon a time and created a pile of junk. I lucked out and found a VAFM not to far away for $40 from a member. I also did the other thing you mentioned. Didn’t really hurt too much once the anesthesia took affect. I like PAIN!

The good news is that I don't know what a VAF is, so hopefully I won't be screwing around with it by accident. 😁
C8C0F192-2BC8-4500-985B-912F8388CD92.jpeg
C1249EBF-5797-4735-B717-367F80F83ACF.jpeg

See those two red circles? Don’t **** with those. The harness unclips from the VAFM and you’re done.

Do you want to upgrade the seats to leather with heaters? I know a guy who wants tk swap
Thanks, but I think I'll stick with the stock seat covers. About to go shopping for seat covers to protect the originals because they're in surprisingly very good shape.

Thanks, I think I'll stick with the stock seat covers. About to go shopping for seat covers to protect the originals because they're in surprisingly very good shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom