HELP!! - Looking at a '94 - What should I pay special attention to? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
superoil.com
I have a lead on an almost completely stock '94 Land Cruiser with 225K miles in what looks from the pictures to be in pretty good shape, cosmetically.

I have FJ40s and an LX470, but I'm not very familiar with the 80 Series.

So, what should I pay particular attention to and/or look for when I go check it out prior to purchase?

In other words, what are the possible deal breakers, aside from the $11K asking price? 😉

Thanks in advance for your time in sharing your experience/advice.

Best thing is to read through the FAQ at the very top of the forum sticky threads. Everything you need to know plus some:

Do you have pictures? Engine bay, frame, hatch, windshield, rockers, looking for obvious signs of corrosion etc.

Looking at the engine bay will be telling. Some of those black plastic components turn yellowish-brown over time which generally means it’s past due for replacement. Can tell similar things from looking at the clamps and other tell-tale items.

Bottom line: let us see some pictures to help better assess.

I have a lead on an almost completely stock '94 Land Cruiser with 225K miles in what looks from the pictures to be in pretty good shape, cosmetically.

I have FJ40s and an LX470, but I'm not very familiar with the 80 Series.

So, what should I pay particular attention to and/or look for when I go check it out prior to purchase?

In other words, what are the possible deal breakers, aside from the $11K asking price? 😉

Thanks in advance for your time in sharing your experience/advice.

Do you have pictures? Engine bay, frame, hatch, windshield, rockers, looking for obvious signs of corrosion etc.

Looking at the engine bay will be telling. Some of those black plastic components turn yellowish-brown over time which generally means it’s past due for replacement. Can tell similar things from looking at the clamps and other tell-tale items.

00b0b_2WyFk0Gopoyz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00h0h_4qn0LleN5ABz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00N0N_iOWmEej61cXz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00O0O_bU0KdfRFFo8z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00S0S_jqEckJuGc6jz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00z0z_ddGeYIqqS3Lz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00Z0Z_d6Nwg0xgzbOz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00z0z_ddGeYIqqS3Lz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00x0x_bqkp7d6I0VZz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

00Z0Z_d6Nwg0xgzbOz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Ugh. It’s beautiful. Nothing looks egregious in the engine bay. The interior looks good. Any idea if that passenger side third row seat is stored somewhere?

How’s the undercarriage look?

Ugh. It’s beautiful. Nothing looks egregious in the engine bay. The interior looks good. Any idea if that passenger side third row seat is stored somewhere?

How’s the undercarriage look?
Thanks.

As for the undercarriage, I haven't seen it yet. I was planning to take my creeper, my camera and a high lumen flashlight with me on Tuesday when I see it in person. Other than the usual search for rust and leaks, anything in particular I should be looking for?

He said:

"The suspension was recently replaced and upgraded with an Ironman Nitro Gas 2" kit, but the truck is otherwise stock. This truck also has the Center Diff Lock button for locking the center differential without switching to 4Lo."

I haven't asked about the missing seat yet.

Here's some info that I received via text:

When I asked him if everything works:

"everything works but the original stereo is at the end of its life. some of the speakers are blown and the cd player isn’t reliable"

When I asked about rust and leaks:

"there's a leak from what looks like the valve cover gasket. the only rust is under the paint on the rear driver side corner where it was hit and repaired long ago"

Also, I'm sure you noticed than there are no running boards (which I would remove and replace with sliders anyway) and the fender flares are gone (I'll ask if he has them. But I kinda like the look with no flares.)

Is the gas tank empty, fuel guage working?

Thanks.

As for the undercarriage, I haven't seen it yet. I was planning to take my creeper, my camera and a high lumen flashlight with me on Tuesday when I see it in person. Other than the usual search for rust and leaks, anything in particular I should be looking for?

He said:

"The suspension was recently replaced and upgraded with an Ironman Nitro Gas 2" kit, but the truck is otherwise stock. This truck also has the Center Diff Lock button for locking the center differential without switching to 4Lo."

I haven't asked about the missing seat yet.

Here's some info that I received via text:

When I asked him if everything works:

"everything works but the original stereo is at the end of its life. some of the speakers are blown and the cd player isn’t reliable"

When I asked about rust and leaks:

"there's a leak from what looks like the valve cover gasket. the only rust is under the paint on the rear driver side corner where it was hit and repaired long ago"

Also, I'm sure you noticed than there are no running boards (which I would remove and replace with sliders anyway) and the fender flares are gone (I'll ask if he has them. But I kinda like the look with no flares.)
I mean I noticed the minor leaks in the engine bay, it’s all the likely culprits. VC gasket like he/you mentioned, distributor, oil pump cover, etc. I can tell he’s replaced the heater control valve and the associated lines and clamps. The spark wires aren’t OEM and I recommend going back to OEM when you buy it and baseline it. Aftermarket spark plug wires can be fickle.

All the radio stuff is par for the course. If the speakers weren’t blown, they’d disintegrate when you handle them anyway. They’re s*** after 28 years of age.

It looks pretty good from here.

Is the gas tank empty, fuel guage working?
I think the key in on but engine isn’t turned over. No voltage reading gives it away.

Edit: key isn’t on. I’m smoking whatever kernal is. Goodnight.

Last edited:
I mean I noticed the minor leaks in the engine bay, it’s all the likely culprits. VC gasket like he/you mentioned, distributor, oil pump cover, etc. I can tell he’s replaced the heater control valve and the associated lines and clamps. The spark wires aren’t OEM and I recommend going back to OEM when you buy it and baseline it. Aftermarket spark plug wires can be fickle.

All the radio stuff is par for the course. If the speakers weren’t blown, they’d disintegrate when you handle them anyway. They’re s*** after 28 years of age.

But does it look $11K good? 😁

I'm not very concerned about the VC gasket, but I am anxious about the under paint rust where it was repaired. I'll be checking that VERY closely. Will be a negotiating point at a minimum, and a possible reason to walk away at the worst.

I have ZERO concern about the stereo stuff. Easy to replace all that stuff with what I want. That would probably happen anyway.

I'll definitely go back to OEM plug wires.

F--k, I totally reversed what I saw there; the volts were zero, the fuel was full. Time for sleep.

Absent rust or not running/shifting okay, that's a buy. It's $11K all day in SoCal, and a good buy at that price.

Just talked with the guy. He's had the truck for 10 years and his Dad had it for about 10 years before him.

He doesn't have the flares, hub cover or running boards and the seat was gone when his Dad bought it 20 years ago.

I don't know how hard to find those seats are, or how expensive they are to buy.

The only noticable rust is the under paint rust on the driver side rear corner from an accident repair from an accidrnt and repair that happened before his Dad bought the truck.

He said there is a clicking sound that happens when he turns the wheel in one direction but he doesn't remember which direction.

Possible CV issue?

All the work that has been done since he's had it, including the Ironman suspension up grade, has been done by a reputable local shop that specializes in LCs.

The state inspection expired 2 months ago but he's going to have that done today before I go look at it tomorrow.

So, based just on what I've shared here, is it worth $11K?

But does it look $11K good? 😁

I'm not very concerned about the VC gasket, but I am anxious about the under paint rust where it was repaired. I'll be checking that VERY closely. Will be a negotiating point at a minimum, and a possible reason to walk away at the worst.

I have ZERO concern about the stereo stuff. Easy to replace all that stuff with what I want. That would probably happen anyway.

I'll definitely go back to OEM plug wires.
Those plug wires are fine. Test drive is critical for determining value. With a lift, it's possible the steering won't be ideal. Most people ditch the third row seats so you can pick another up easily if so desired.

Absent rust or not running/shifting okay, that's a buy. It's $11K all day in SoCal, and a good buy at that price.

given the climate, I feel 12k for a non-wrecked running rig is pretty much the baseline (Esp for the coveted 045 white with grey cloth) at that point, its up to the buyer to invest and make it their own.

It’s worth the buy at that price. I can’t see the repaired damage or rust in the pictures. The clicking just means you have to look into your birfs and inspect for wear. If the rig is clean otherwise, I’d snag it up asap before someone else does

Thank you all for your great advice and for taking the time to share your knowledge with a newbie!

I'm going to check it out tomorrow afternoon and, barring any surprises, I hope to be bringing her home with me.

Thanks again to everyone!

I'll post the outcome of the test drive and my personal inspection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom