HELP! I think I screwed it up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I tightened the EBrake lever, almost all the way. The lever itself was loose when not engaged/pulled, since I got the truck. Basically it was not effective at all until couple days ago I tightened the nut. Now I can use my parking brake effectively but caused two problems.

1. Cruise Control Light Flashes when I try to use cruise control. It has been pretty functional until today.
2. Funny smell, like burning somthing from the driver side rear rotor.

Passenger side Bellcrank is so stiff that I can't move it without banging it with a hammer. If I pull the parking brake it goes back to it's original position, then I have bang it again. The drive side one seems to be OK. Question is do I pull both rotors and inspect the parking brake shoes and adjust them? I have done a search on CC and found lots of stuff. Where is this parking brake switch under the lever that should be adjusted? Any info is much appreciated.

Unrelated. Cycle the actuator.
Dan

Riad said:
So I tightened the EBrake lever, almost all the way. The lever itself was loose when not engaged/pulled, since I got the truck. Basically it was not effective at all until couple days ago I tightened the nut. Now I can use my parking brake effectively but caused two problems.

1. Cruise Control Light Flashes when I try to use cruise control. It has been pretty functional until today.
2. Funny smell, like burning somthing from the driver side rear rotor.

Passenger side Bellcrank is so stiff that I can't move it without banging it with a hammer. If I pull the parking brake it goes back to it's original position, then I have bang it again. The drive side one seems to be OK. Question is do I pull both rotors and inspect the parking brake shoes and adjust them? I have done a search on CC and found lots of stuff. Where is this parking brake switch under the lever that should be adjusted? Any info is much appreciated.

Check your ebrake cables (inside the drum)-that they are not off of their quide wheel and broken worn from the axle flange. This can cause binding.

Were you last to service your rear brakes?

fj803fe said:
Check your ebrake cables (inside the drum)-that they are not off of their quide wheel and broken worn from the axle flange. This can cause binding.

Were you last to service your rear brakes?

Yep. I just put on the pads last time I touched'em. That was 5K miles ago. This time I simply tightened the lever. The cables that lead to both bellcranks are fine. The driver side bites pretty well when the lever is pulled. The passenger side is totally ineffective. I have to hammer the bell crank to disengage. I think shoes are totally gone. I can freely move that side by hand while the ebrake are on/pulled. Whereas the other (driver) side is like rock, won't move with ebrake pulled. Do I have to use OEM shoes? Can I use some other shoes from NAPA or some thing :confused:, don't know if any one makes a set for an 80.

The factory manual details how to adjust the parking brake. To the best of my recollection, adjusting the cable at the hand lever is the very last step. Omitting the previous steps is asking to 1) roast the pads, 2) lock up the rear axle unexpectantly.

KliersLC said:
Unrelated. Cycle the actuator.
Dan

I was thinking about this, and remembered that if you pull up on the parking brake at all with the cc on, it will shut down the cruise control. You may have tightened it up a bit to much and the sensor is activated all the time, or you may have knocked it loose in the process of tightening
In any case, I don't know where the sensor is, but if you have the FSM it should be easy to find.
Sorry, and good luck.
Dan

KliersLC said:
I was thinking about this, and remembered that if you pull up on the parking brake at all with the cc on, it will shut down the cruise control. You may have tightened it up a bit to much and the sensor is activated all the time, or you may have knocked it loose in the process of tightening
In any case, I don't know where the sensor is, but if you have the FSM it should be easy to find.
Sorry, and good luck.
Dan

Only the earlier trucks do this. The later ones don't. I have a 96 which doesn't and I doubt his 97 does either. From a previous disccussion I know CDan's 93 does, so somewher in 94,95 the wiring changed.

landtank said:
Only the earlier trucks do this. The later ones don't. I have a 96 which doesn't and I doubt his 97 does either. From a previous disccussion I know CDan's 93 does, so somewher in 94,95 the wiring changed.

That's what I thought. Cause I can't find it. However, I found the problem though, I think. The CC cable is loose. So when I try to set it, it starts flashing. Not sure why it became loose :confused:, may be vibration cause it :confused: I need to call Dan and get my EB shoes. Looking forward to more wrenching this weekend :D. FUN!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom