HELP ! I need help ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
cafe.rapidus.net
This morning, I got a problem with my Fiji.

Impossible to shift in 4 wheel drive. The t-case lever is sticked in H2, no rearward movement. I can move it, lateraly, right and left. I know it's not suppose to but it's doing so since I bough it.

The right position places the t-case in neutral and the left one gives the H2. No rearward movement at all.

I never had problem shifting H2-H4 or H4-N-L4 except this morning. ANY IDEA?

P.S.: I own the Haynes Manual and will try somethings today since actually it's warm at 32F. Tomorrow, sunny but about 0F.

Sometimes the just need a little movement to get things to line up nice. Put it in 1st or reverse and move it a little bit in the appropriate direction and then see if it will go into 4wd.

With that amount of post count, I would be crazy to not try your suggestion.

I already tried 1st and reverse moves but I am going out there to make it rock and give it a couple of tries.

P.S.: I am able to drive it without any problem or grinds.

No ! In 2hi !

Since I own it, I am able to move it right, in neutral. The stick is forwarded and tracked only at the rear (propulsion). The front manual hubs are locked but no traction at all.

P.S.: Here, it is raining and icing at the same time so Fiji is able to skate but only at the rear end.

My (vacuum shift) was filled with water, and the water froze up the shifting last winter when it got cold enough. It shifted when things warmed up. Perhaps a bit of heat directed in the direction of the shift mechanism?

You have 32 degrees now? It just dropped to -7 here!

Fiji has a lever. The t-case handle is not using vacuum, it's using armstrong but good try!

P.S.: -7 kelvin?

Just wondered if there might be some way yours could have iced up. (Condensation within your transfer case?)

Yes, -7 degrees Kelvin! :slap:

And it started up immediately. 4WD shifts great. Maybe it is too warm where you are, PO!! :D

Update !

I checked under the truck and nothing disconnected. It seams that I will have to dissasemble the tcase to look at the problem. Still running in 2wd-hi but I need 4wd-hi minimum with current weather condition.

Not enough money for that kind of fun (Oh! Christmas!), so I will fix that next summer.

But I am still curious to know where the problem came from since the lever works perfectly the night before and suddenly didn't move the next morning. I don't think weather is the cause since temperature was good and we had worst weather before, much more worst. ??? :'(

damn that avatar

One other thing...have you driven around and got the tcase fluids all nice and warm and then tried the wrestling match ? This is definitely a weird one.

Maybe there's a dead cat stuck in the linkage on top of the case where you can't see it???? :eek:

Yesterday (32F), I drove for 4 hrs on highway in 2wd-hi. Nothing moved!

P.S.: Sorry for this distractfull avatar. I am not sex-oriented, nor sex-exhibitionist, but I had to select an avatar and found that one into the forum's list. This avatar creates an "agreable" evocated potential. I hope every body enjoy this point-of-view.

Probably threw more snow up in there, packing it tighter. I say: 40 degrees F for at least 4 hours before you give up and tear it out.

ya! take a good grade commercial heat gun take the t-case boot off and heat it up until that baby is HOT then trying using it! 8)

IDAVE, did you have water in the shift diaphragm or solenoid? ??? My 62 did not work last night and is the first time I ever had a problem. should I take out the diaphragm and heat it up to dry it out? Thanks.

[quote author=UGLY88 link=board=1;threadid=9403;start=msg85705#msg85705 date=1073426098]
IDAVE, did you have water in the shift diaphragm or solenoid? ??? My 62 did not work last night and is the first time I ever had a problem. should I take out the diaphragm and heat it up to dry it out? Thanks.
[/quote]

Yup, the water POURed out when I opened it up.

Oh, probably you just need to get the ice to liquid state and drain it out. Then, when you can fix the gasket, work on drying it out completely.

Do you think the diaphragm is bad? would it be from the ice? how does the water get inthere to begin with? Sorry for all the questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom