Help.. I killed my engine after pressure wash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do some searching here on the forum for suggested 180k-200k additional parts list- or wait a minute for half dozen suggestions. Really easy to get going into mission creep here. So depends in your budget, how long you keep it and how youll use it.

Since you have no history of whats been replaced, then Id consider the full suite: toyota (mitsuboshi) belt, aisin tensioner, koyo Idler pulley, koyo tensioner pulley, aisin fan bracket, new coolant, thermostat, radiator cap . . .

Buy from a reputable source: Cruiser Outfitters or one of the many online oem dealers who provide good discounts: not ebay or amazon

Good luck
Just curious why not Amazon. I found a aisin timing belt kit with water pump for 169 that gets great reviews.

Just curious why not Amazon. I found a aisin timing belt kit with water pump for 169 that gets great reviews.
Because despite it saying Aisin, it is highly likely it is counterfeit as are a very large number of parts forum members have ordered and compared against actual ODM products from Aisin, Denso, Toyota, etc.

The counterfeiting is pervasive and has gotten very hard to detect, but the materials and quality are not remotely close to the actual product. They are built to appear the same, not built to perform the same.

Because despite it saying Aisin, it is highly likely it is counterfeit as are a very large number of parts forum members have ordered and compared against actual ODM products from Aisin, Denso, Toyota, etc.

The counterfeiting is pervasive and has gotten very hard to detect, but the materials and quality are not remotely close to the actual product. They are built to appear the same, not built to perform the same.
In the threads I read, I don't recall anyone getting counterfeit parts from Amazon. Amazon has a vested interest in not promoting fraud. Ebay is a big no no, though, unless it is from a known good seller.

In the threads I read, I don't recall anyone getting counterfeit parts from Amazon. Amazon has a vested interest in not promoting fraud. Ebay is a big no no, though, unless it is from a known good seller.
I did read an article recently about the counterfeit parts on amazon but I assumed that they were referring to 3rd party. One advantage is fast delivery and pretty good prices.

I bought my Aisin kit on Amazon, and it appears to be genuine, but:

Knockoffs sold under the same ASIN (Amazon SKU identifier) as genuine products is very much a thing. And to date, they have not done much to crack down because it gives manufacturers more control over the marketplace. Which is bad, if your goal is basically to create a reverse auction for marketplace sellers and profit from that.

In my experience the prevalence of knockoffs is directly tied to financial incentive divided by difficulty to do. It is also usually limited to fulfilled by Amazon items with co-mingled inventory. Not a big deal if it is a pack of 20 crush washers. But something you want to keep in mind if ordering things like NGK plugs, Mitutoyo calipers, Toyota filters (when fulfilled by Amazon), etc.

I'll order my Aisin kit from Cruiser Outfitters next time. NGK plugs come from my local store. Filters I buy on Amazon, but only when fulfilled by a dealer directly to me (Coshockton last time). Mitutoyo comes from MSC.

Last edited:

While Amazon has a vested interest, they are the point of sale/marketplace for most third party sellers. The appearance is that they are not like Ebay, but Amazon is far, far more like Ebay when it comes to products like this than most consumers know. Fulfillment by Amazon does not equate to sold by Amazon - third party sellers account for the vast majority of products sold on Amazon. The problem with branded products such as Aisin, Denso, Toyota, etc. is that while Amazon has a brand registry program unless the seller participates in Amazon's Transparency program their products are subject to comingling with items of the same UPC. They can have different SKU's, so long as the UPC is the same they can be comingled. This means that a legitimate seller of parts (Aisin) can sell under their Aisin seller account, and "Sunshine CarParts LTD" can also sell on that same listing and their inventory shipped into a fulfillment by Amazon center to be comingled with Aisin's parts.

The only way you can certify and protect against this is through the Amazon transparency program, which requires a unique number printed for EACH UNITwhich codes a lot number and per unit number for each lot. It is plagued with delays, the program costs the seller a lot of money to participate in, and when a counterfeit seller has sent inventory in, it often still triggers suspensions and blocked listings for the legitimate seller. On top of that, sellers have issues with listing hijackings as Amazon won't let you gate your listing from other sellers even if you are private label and the brand owner. You can have your listings "co-opted" where competitors authorize themselves as resellers and steal the buy box for a few hours a day before switching it back (so that you don't notice they are syphoning sales) etc. I won't even get started on fake reviews and the unbelievable black hat tactics used in the marketplace. Amazon could make this better and eliminate the problem but they don't, they are too busy raking it in and cycling through sellers.

Personally, just in the last 6 months I have received and confirmed counterfeit Toyota engine air filter & Idler pulley, counterfeit Denso Coil Packs, and counterfeit NGK iridium plugs. The timing belt kits for the 2UZ might have somehow escaped this but it is unlikely. The air filter for example would have passed if I didn't also have an OEM Toyota filter in my vehicle at the time to compare it against.

This guy has done a pretty decent job of documenting it in a youtube series on just a few Toyota/Lexus parts he's found that were counterfeit:

Last edited:
^^ Sounds like your experience and mine are similar.

Negative- Amazon has no controls in place to assure those selling are providing you with authentic parts. But to each their own- buy where you feel comfortable.

On important OEM or OES engine, drivetrain, or electronic components I personally only buy from well known, authorized distributors and or dealers.

If the part is mission critical, ask yourself if you'll hesitate installing it if it says "Made in China"

Rolo-

Status update please. All fixed up? Did you find the cause?

Nice to support dedicated business, and you get customer support. Will buy form rockauto before amazon - they do have good customer service and can provide some technical help.
But, if you feel sorry for Jeff taking a #2 spot from Elon for richest dude, stick with Amazon. :rolleyes:

Rolo-

Status update please. All fixed up? Did you find the cause?
I got my parts from cruiser outfitters today and the mechanic will change the timing belt within the next 2 days. I hope that everything will work perfectly after it's done. It has been a crazy few weeks of troubleshooting and I want to know the root of the problem too. I am curious if the cruiser is an interference engine and whether the mistiming could have caused any bent valves. Any ideas? I have read on the forum that people are split on this.

I got my parts from cruiser outfitters today and the mechanic will change the timing belt within the next 2 days. I hope that everything will work perfectly after it's done. It has been a crazy few weeks of troubleshooting and I want to know the root of the problem too. I am curious if the cruiser is an interference engine and whether the mistiming could have caused any bent valves. Any ideas? I have read on the forum that people are split on this.
Update. The mechanic took the timing belt off and found a leaking water pump and a white film on the belt itself. Current thought is the leaking coolant on the crankshaft gear and the misfiring cylinders 1,3 caused the belt to slip. What do you think?

20210317_131019.jpg

20210317_130908.jpg

Yeah I noticed that white stuff on the edge of your belt in the earlier pics- guess we now we know what it was. Coolant is pretty slippery and leaking onto your belt, and crank pulley etc, suppose that could cause it to slip under the right circumstances. Maybe it was dry and crusty and the pressure wash wet it all down and it slipped. Or maybe just coincidence.

Good to know its sorted out👍

I've never heard of a leaking water pump causing the TB to slip, but...that doesn't mean it could have been the cause.

While you've go it open, you'll definitely want to inspect everything closely to make sure there's no damage and/or deformation on the cam gears.

Anxious to hear how it runs after you get it all back together.

I've never heard of a leaking water pump causing the TB to slip, but...that doesn't mean it could have been the cause.

While you've go it open, you'll definitely want to inspect everything closely to make sure there's no damage and/or deformation on the cam gears.

Anxious to hear how it runs after you get it all back together.
I didn't notice any damage to the cam gears. I am surprised to find only the leaking water pump/coolant. Maybe I was just lucky to get a little water to mix with the coolant and cause the slip. I will report soon how it runs after it is back together. Going to check the compression after just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom