HELP! Fan pulley and fan stuck on fan bracket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Started my timing belt this afternoon and my fan pulley and fan are stuck on the fan bracket. Removed all four bolts and it wouldn't budge. Took everything else off and just took the fan, shroud and fan bracket out all together (Need a new fan shroud now).

Any ideas how to separate them from the fan bracket? I am putting a new fan bracket in but reusing the fan and pulley. Have the soaking with some PB Blaster now.

Thanks
Jeff

Are you saying the fan and clutch are stuck to pulley bracket after you took off the four 12mm nuts?

Tap it with a hammer lightly, vibrations will knock it loose.

Are you saying the fan and clutch are stuck to pulley bracket after you took off the four 12mm nuts?
I’m saying nothing is coming apart after four bolts are removed. Here is what I have....
DB60E870-82DA-4243-A9BF-4A8FE87EDB4A.jpeg

I tried tapping it while it was in there and no luck.

Hmmm. Never heard of the clutch (blue part) not separating from the pulley.

Oh take something sharp and flat and wedge it between the pulley and the bracket, it might be stuck on the 4 studs' threads. Or pry the back of the pulley towards you, repeated motions and spin it around if you can to see if you can free it. This shouldn't happen at all, mine fell out as soon as i removed the 4 bolts.

The pulley should separate as well, correct? I don't have a new pulley, only a new fan bracket. It did not come with a new pulley.

Yes, the pulley is just sitting there loosely until the blue clutch is tightened up against it with the four nuts. But the blue part should come right off rather easily. No idea why it isn't.

Thanks for the quick responses everybody. I have it laying face down with some PB Blaster soaking it over night. I will try tapping it again in the morning and see what happens. I will post results.

I've used a brass dowel to pound on blue flange in space between bolt holes, to shock it. Then tap a thin sharp chisel between blue flange and black pulley (hate to, but no choice). Once I get it separated just a hair line, I add penetrating oil at separation hair line. Let soak. Then rock/walk it off.

I've had t-belt, fan clutch or fan bracket jobs take and extra hour when fan bracket get frozen in fan clutch. I grease the male nipple that seats the fan clutch, just to prevent for the next time.

That nipple on the fan bracket gets corroded in.

Last edited:
Yup, Mine was stuck on there really good. Took many minutes (maybe even an hour?) to get it off without ruining any other parts.

Pry bar, chisel, hammer, brass drift, screwdriver, etc... all applied very carefully should do the trick. It seems like it should slide right off, but mine sure didn't.

PB Blaster did nothing for this. As you guys stated, just start hammering.

I do add thin layer of grease to fan bracket nipple, before/during assembly. Makes next time I pull fan clutch off fan bracket, so much easier and saving time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom