Help a member out (HAMO) (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like rain till about noon. 1/2". Lets all check in, in the am and see what it is doing. Do we have a list of what people want to do?

Lil Charles has friend with a 100 that has some items
Edward has a skidplate issue

everyone else needs to drink beer??

Looks like rain till about noon. 1/2". Lets all check in, in the am and see what it is doing. Do we have a list of what people want to do?

I've got Coronas and will be free until 4:30. Friends upper rear control arms and steering rack bushings, my 100 tighten parking brake cable and could use some advice on that.

I’m not going to make this one, but will see you all Tuesday night.
🌮🍻

Had a good day today. Thanks to Edward and Allen for coming over and Christian for the help.

I am going to call off Sunday due to weather forcast.

Good deal, lot of water this morning. !

a few pics from Saturday. Nothing superfantastic just dudes in the garage
IMG_2263.jpeg
IMG_2265.jpeg
IMG_2266.jpeg

This weekend plans, finish installing rear hubs and due to parts delay for rear diff build, the disassembly of the front hubs and removal of third member will be happening this weekend. Anyone is welcome to come over and hangout. This is being done outside.
David,

How did it go?

David,

How did it go?
Overall good, did one stupid, installed my rear hub sale with the bearing sitting beside me.....new rear seal on the way. So with rear hub on hold and waiting on shims for rear diff, I pulled front axles, front diff, right side swivel hub. Also built a heavy duty work bench. I also confirmed yesterday evening that the pinion bearings in the Sierra gear rebuilt kit from Cruiser Outfitters is different than stock bearings and have had some failure issues. So just ordered stock bearings. If all parts come in this weekend I'll continue with rear diff, if not I'll pull front diff apart and start that journey.

Overall good, did one stupid, installed my rear hub sale with the bearing sitting beside me.....new rear seal on the way. So with rear hub on hold and waiting on shims for rear diff, I pulled front axles, front diff, right side swivel hub. Also built a heavy duty work bench. I also confirmed yesterday evening that the pinion bearings in the Sierra gear rebuilt kit from Cruiser Outfitters is different than stock bearings and have had some failure issues. So just ordered stock bearings. If all parts come in this weekend I'll continue with rear diff, if not I'll pull front diff apart and start that journey.
Awesome man. Take photos and send to me so I can use them for the club social's

@FamilyCamper and I bit off a bit more than we should have yesterday. We tackled both front bumpers. My new ARB and his "new" @sleeoffroad. not quite finished with all of it but they are on and not going to fall off.
IMG_2324.jpeg
IMG_2327.jpeg
IMG_2331.jpeg

Charles will need to post up his installed pick as it was 2200hrs and dark so I did not get a shot of his. Lesson learned here. One bumper per day should be my limit ;)

This is not the finished product but it was close
IMG_9693.jpeg

Last edited:
Seeking some engine pull advice and any extra hands that might want to help next weekend.

Current status: wiring harness and hoses/lines are free (mostly cleanly); radiators are off; shifters are disconnected; and I have a guy from Raleigh who wants the transmission and will take care of sending the engine off to fj80oregon. He's coming up Sunday 3/10 weather permitting.

The question I have is what are my options / requirements in separating the transmission from the transfer case? It looks like in the FSM that you'd disconnect driveshafts and pull the t'case out with the transmission. I'll need to do some tinkering inside the t'case adapter housing for the torfab kit and it may make sense to have the whole t'case out at some point, but do I need to start that way? Is there a clean way to separate and pull the transmission from where it marries to the t'case adapter housing (35015-60070 Genuine Toyota Part - https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~adapter~sub~assy~transmission~case~rear~35015-60070.html).

End result of Tor kit (if some context helps -- GM on the L and Toyota on the R of the adapter plate):

1709565817102.png

Seeking some engine pull advice and any extra hands that might want to help next weekend.

Current status: wiring harness and hoses/lines are free (mostly cleanly); radiators are off; shifters are disconnected; and I have a guy from Raleigh who wants the transmission and will take care of sending the engine off to fj80oregon. He's coming up Sunday 3/10 weather permitting.

The question I have is what are my options / requirements in separating the transmission from the transfer case? It looks like in the FSM that you'd disconnect driveshafts and pull the t'case out with the transmission. I'll need to do some tinkering inside the t'case adapter housing for the torfab kit and it may make sense to have the whole t'case out at some point, but do I need to start that way? Is there a clean way to separate and pull the transmission from where it marries to the t'case adapter housing (35015-60070 Genuine Toyota Part - https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~adapter~sub~assy~transmission~case~rear~35015-60070.html).

End result of Tor kit (if some context helps -- GM on the L and Toyota on the R of the adapter plate):

View attachment 3573631
You need a big cherry picker or a gantry crane. pull the engine-trans-tcase all out at once. you can leave the harness on them. It is heavy 1000#s or more. separtate the t-case off once you get it out. Use a floor jack under the t-case to lower that end and guide it forward and out the front end. You can pull the t-case by itself to save some weight but not worth it in my opinon.

One of these, or I can rent you the Cherry Picker from WLSC, but you need 3 people to get it out and back in of the storage trailer and onto the rollback.!!!
I wasn't too keen on the looks of some of the rental cherry pickers (or the delivery charges) I saw. I ended up buying one from Home Depot that I'm gonna sell on marketplace or craigslist afterwards.

Putting question a sort of different way: Can I detach t'case from transmission and leave it in place or can you just not cleanly pull them apart with the general upward pulling from the hoist?

Sounds like its too late and I'm not sure that this would be tall enough but I have an older version of this and a leveler somewhere in my shed

Sounds like its too late and I'm not sure that this would be tall enough but I have an older version of this and a leveler somewhere in my shed

Not too late - I was going to pick up the one I bought on Thursday / Friday. Would be glad to "return" it and borrow this for a bit if you don't mind.

Folded up would it fit in the back of my 60 you think?

I wasn't too keen on the looks of some of the rental cherry pickers (or the delivery charges) I saw. I ended up buying one from Home Depot that I'm gonna sell on marketplace or craigslist afterwards.

Putting question a sort of different way: Can I detach t'case from transmission and leave it in place or can you just not cleanly pull them apart with the general upward pulling from the hoist?
You either have to take the case off before you pull it, or after. You can not really leave it in place as the tranny holds it and the crossmember goes under the tranny I believe. Nothing but hope and prayers after that to hold it in place.

I am not sure the engine hoist Edward has is big enough to lift everything you need to clear the front of the truck and/or the weight.

engine, tranny, t-case are a little over 1000# fully dressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom