HELP! 3 Wire Voltage Regulator? 1978 BJ40 24v (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, this is my first post after getting to know my 1978 BJ40 (24v) for a few months and extensive lurking on these boards. Amazing how valuable ih8mud is as a resource - thanks everyone for sharing your experience and I'm hoping someone can help me solve a puzzle!

Overall my BJ is in great shape except that it has ongoing charging issues. By that, I mean that I have never once seen the amp meter show positive charge despite being perfectly responsive to voltage draw from headlights, turn signals, etc...I am in the habit of trickle charging the batteries so I can start / drive it, but this is getting old.

After some investigation, I've found that the external voltage regulator is no where to be found. Gone. Zilch. I can see a ghostly outline where it was once mounted on the firewall, but the previous owner has removed it and not replaced it. So, I can't show you a pic of what I'm trying to replace. A previous owner has also done an EDIC delete, evidenced by the fact that the engine contines to run without the key, stops with a tidy pull cable and has some dead-end electrical connectors in the engine bay (one of these being the voltage regulator I'm sure!).

So - my question - I've located two below pictured black 3-wire connectors near where the regulator should be. One of them MUST be for the regulator. However, despite combing through all the wiring diagrams on this site and others I've never actually found one with a 3-wire regulator to confirm. Furthermore, if you look at the pic you'll see that one of the 3-wire connectors is actually downstream from a 6-wire connector. So could the original regulator have been 6-wire?!?

What is going on here?!? Appreciate any opinions on what replacement regulator is correct - 3 wire or 6 wire? If 3 wire, it seems that the original part is Toyota 27700-56012 / Denso 02600-2502, but I haven't been able to find an OEM or equivalent unit anywhere in the world (including Toyota Matt's site, cityracer, megazip, etc...!).

IMG_3701.jpg
IMG_3700.jpg
IMG_1648.jpg
IMG_2173.jpg

For background, my spec is:
1978 BJ40, European spec (originally sold into Italy and exported to the UK in 2019)
LHD
24v
B engine
Manufacture date: November 1978
Frame No: 029430

Alternator photo? Your vehicle has likely been converted to an internally regulated alternator. Either way, it was always 3 wires. Is there a green plug on your alternator?

Also the ammeter on the dash likely stopped working, or was bypassed years ago. I wouldnt bother trying to resolve it personally.

This diagram shows the wiring for both types of regulator.
Agree with duncanrm - probably removed in favour of an internal regulation.
Test your battery voltage at a fast idle to see if it's charging.
The internal regulator relies on a field supply wire via a diode or more commonly an idiot light on the dash - if this light (or diode) is blown then it will stop charging.

IMG_8446.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom