Help - 1982 FJ40 (thoughts on Value $$$ ???) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MADA
I just looked up the NADA value, which is what my insurance uses to determine replacement value. I also believe NADA book values to be a reflection of the market and what people ARE paying, beyond mud members that have their wallets directly on the pulse of a good deal.

Interesting. Maybe this will inform your pricing. Keep in mind NADA values are averages. There are too many variables to hope for any exact comparisons. If NADA reports the data the way I think they are, Low Retail is not a rock bottom price, but sort-of like a 25% up from the bottom of the entire range mark. Likewise the High Retail is probably more like the $75%-ish mark on the scale, not the single highest price one has sold for.

For an '82 4x4 hardtop:
Original MSRP: $10,288
Low retail: $8,500
Average retail: $18,700
High retail: $39,100

I had booked my '74 in July when I put it back on the road and insured it, also to show my wife that the money I was putting into the truck would have value if we ever (heaven forbid) are forced to sell. When I saw the '82 values I was worried the market had taken a dip in the last 2 months, so I just looked it up again with these results:

For a '74 4x4 hardtop:
Original MSRP: $4,309
Low retail: $12,200 (+$250 since July 9, when I insured my truck)
Average retail: $26,700 (+$500 since July 9)
High retail: $65,600 (+$1,900 since July 9)

I'm not sure what to do with this data, but I am just surprised and thought I'd share.

Maybe the later models thinner sheet metal rusts out so much easier that they tend to be in worse condition? Maybe nobody sells their later models except people that don't know what they are worth so it reflects in the price? If either of those were true, I would still expect the high retail value of an '82 to be above that of my '74, based on my previous assumptions. TBH, I'm not even sure where those assumptions came from.

I'm rambling here. Sorry. Just processing this new information.
NADA data is going to be skewed down a bit due to the nature of private party sales. People regularly under report the sale price of vehicle to avoid some sales tax. I think eBay completed listings would be a good source for value data as well.

I just looked up the NADA value, which is what my insurance uses to determine replacement value. I also believe NADA book values to be a reflection of the market and what people ARE paying, beyond mud members that have their wallets directly on the pulse of a good deal.

Interesting. Maybe this will inform your pricing. Keep in mind NADA values are averages. There are too many variables to hope for any exact comparisons. If NADA reports the data the way I think they are, Low Retail is not a rock bottom price, but sort-of like a 25% up from the bottom of the entire range mark. Likewise the High Retail is probably more like the $75%-ish mark on the scale, not the single highest price one has sold for.

For an '82 4x4 hardtop:
Original MSRP: $10,288
Low retail: $8,500
Average retail: $18,700
High retail: $39,100

I had booked my '74 in July when I put it back on the road and insured it, also to show my wife that the money I was putting into the truck would have value if we ever (heaven forbid) are forced to sell. When I saw the '82 values I was worried the market had taken a dip in the last 2 months, so I just looked it up again with these results:

For a '74 4x4 hardtop:
Original MSRP: $4,309
Low retail: $12,200 (+$250 since July 9, when I insured my truck)
Average retail: $26,700 (+$500 since July 9)
High retail: $65,600 (+$1,900 since July 9)

I'm not sure what to do with this data, but I am just surprised and thought I'd share.

Maybe the later models thinner sheet metal rusts out so much easier that they tend to be in worse condition? Maybe nobody sells their later models except people that don't know what they are worth so it reflects in the price? If either of those were true, I would still expect the high retail value of an '82 to be above that of my '74, based on my previous assumptions. TBH, I'm not even sure where those assumptions came from.

I'm rambling here. Sorry. Just processing this new information.

You are correct that after 1974 , Toyota went to recycled steel and also thinned out where they could to improve gas mileage. Those years we had a gasoline shortage. One thing was Toyota improved engine , brakes, etc.. so , that is why 1976 vehicles are so coveted.

Looks like a nice 40.

A couple of questions:
1. What is the silver item in the floor board below the driver's side kick vent? Looks like a headlight dimming switch.
2. Are those OEM rear bumperettes?

But then again, my eyes could be playing tricks on me.

You are correct that after 1974 , Toyota went to recycled steel and also thinned out where they could to improve gas mileage. Those years we had a gasoline shortage. One thing was Toyota improved engine , brakes, etc.. so , that is why 1976 vehicles are so coveted.

Toyota first thinned the metal with the 72 model. Hoods were made of a single piece of metal spare tire carriers were stamped with ribs for strength and metal thickness decreased. Not sure. If the doors metal got thinner in the 75 doors but to me a big improvement of the rattle trap two piece doors. I gladly gave the doors on my 68 to use non vent 79 windows. When buying a cruiser or just doors off a pre 75 for stress cracks in the lower section just below the back of the vent windows. Washboard roads are hard on early door. Mention the disc brakes with the 76 model. 77 model had vent windows in the hard top to allow air to flow into the back and then out. No more dead air space in the back half of the vehicle. 79 had thinner metal but offered A/C and power steering as a option. 81 had the split transfer case. Other small improvements over the years since 74.

If I could buy a 82 in the SAME CONDITION as 74 for the same or less money I would in a heart beat. The NADA value is saying prices for vehicles in the same condition. I have a feeling all the later model cheaply restored imports may be effecting prices. Rarely see many as old as 74 compared to later years.

Looks like a nice 40.

A couple of questions:
1. What is the silver item in the floor board below the driver's side kick vent? Looks like a headlight dimming switch.
2. Are those OEM rear bumperettes?

But then again, my eyes could be playing tricks on me.

Looks like the Bumperettes are mounted upside down

...If I could buy a 82 in the SAME CONDITION as 74 for the same or less money I would in a heart beat. The NADA value is saying prices for vehicles in the same condition. I have a feeling all the later model cheaply restored imports may be effecting prices. Rarely see many as old as 74 compared to later years.

Maybe all the garbage flowing in through Florida is affecting the book values, I had considered it. Seems like FJ-co.'s prices are high enough to throw the whole value thing the other direction though. LOL!

I also have disc brakes (FJ60) and power steering (Saginaw) on my '74... (I put them there :) I also vent the dead air in the rear cabin. I just open my rear hatch while I drive around (I did the gas shocks inside the OEM chrome), my dog loves it.

You're right about the stress cracks in the older doors. Mine manifested at the rear of the door panel where the upper window frame inserts. Next time my doors are off they are also getting sound deadener panels inside them to help reduce that rattle.

Hopefully I didn't ruffle any feathers with my book values comment, I just found it interesting is all. I drool equally over any tastefully built 40, but agree to disagree, I would buy a '74 over a same condition '82. To be fair, I'm biased, since that is what I drive and have spent countless hours working on, it gets emotional right?

I'm sure that's what was informing my previous (wrong) presumptions about book values. Just found it surprising that the numbers don't support bias towards the more updated/modern models. I DO wish mine had the 2F though, maybe someday.

Hard to to value from the pictures. 1982 is arguably the most collectible of the US spec FJ40s. Not many unmolested 40 series left. IMO MUD members undervalue the overall market. Assuming it is as nice as the pictures have lead us to believe. 40-60k is not unreasonable, depending on condition and service history

Hard to to value from the pictures. 1982 is arguably the most collectible of the US spec FJ40s. Not many unmolested 40 series left. IMO MUD members undervalue the overall market. Assuming it is as nice as the pictures have lead us to believe. 40-60k is not unreasonable, depending on condition and service history

I have seen the same. Many MUD members remember the 2K resale prices on FJ40s from years ago. Sometimes it is hard to accept where these prices have gone to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom