Help! '13 LC w/ blown engine on vacation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’d shoot for them paying for half the price of a new longblock and all the labor to swap all the ancillaries over, gaskets, fluids, hoses to achieve ready to go condition based on the current mileage on your Cruiser.

Ship/Tow it home.
Deal with Goodyear
In parallel, you can buy a complete used engine from many reputable suppliers for $2-3k. Another $1-2k to get it installed.
However, I would be very surprised if the engine is toast. Toyota has several safeguards to protect the engine from loss of coolant. It should have gone into safe mode which would limit your power and speed to allow you to get off the road safely. If one of the Cyl heads warped/cracked...ok its bad or if the engine was abused/neglected a rebuild is needed. A dealer engine job (this engine) complete rebuild would be around $7,500.00 - $10,000.00. Plus....oh you need these hoses, and this thingy...all for a proper rebuild. Wait...Indianapolis? there are probably a 100 engine/repair shops that could give you a better deal.

I'm not really seeing any hits online... insurance would cover the negligence of a repair shop for a repair. Just seems like you would end up having to take the shop to court IMO. There is discussion about shops paying out of their own insurance for a damaged vehicle while it is physically "in their shop".

That is Not something to google.. you need to call "your" insurance agent and ask what is covered. They will tell you.

Comp and collision insurance does not cover engine failure. I believe there is an insurance policy titled "mechanical breakdown insurance"
you can get if your insurance company offers it.

I’m curious if the land cruiser is made japan and the tundra in America there exactly the same when it comes to a motor swap
An American 3UR will bolt in but depending on year there may be some slight differences like lack of an oil level sensor in the upper oil pan.. but all that stuff can be exchanged easily. A few people have done this and posted in this section if you want more details.

I had a friend that received a new engine in his 100 after a local tire shop installed the wrong oil filter.Their insurance paid,Toyota did the repair….

I just had a buddy go through this on his 2008’ish Tundra with 180,xxx miles that mysteriously dropped a valve.
A new engine installed by Denny Menholt Toyota was outrageous, even a used engine installed by them was quoted at $9,000+.
He ended up having a reputable mechanic (who is also a local Cruiser Club member) rebuild the one head and inspect the other. Not sure what it ended costing but took a LONG time as the mechanic rebuilt it in his free time.
I’d have your 200 repaired back at home if it was me. Yes there will be a tow bill but you’ll have options and save money overall.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

It seems that rare broken valve spring issue mainly affects '07-'09 models but I have seen even as late as a few '14 or '15s reported on the Tundras.
Someone posted that fate here a year or two ago. Toyota partially coveted it from memory.

First off -- I owe a HUGE thank you to each of you for the helpful input. It's been quite the week, but this whole situation is nearly resolved...

Quick update FYI:

The solution: the dealership in Miami found another used LC engine w/ 117k miles on it nearby (via LKQ), so we decided to move forward and swap that in for the old one that broke down. It comes w/ a 6 month warranty. Aside from the engine swap, the dealership installed a new water pump, thermostat and spark plugs. I came to this decision because I love my LC and wanted it back on the road, plain and simple. I had just installed a Trekboxx Bravo system over the summer, among other aftermarket accessories, and I really didn't want to prolong the situation as Goodyear had already begun to signal that they would cooperate / help cover the costs (at least partially).

Re: payment: I'm very pleased to say that Goodyear is picking up the *ENTIRE* tab on this (~$13k for parts + labor). The service team at Toyota did a great job documenting the root of the issue -- the improperly installed radiator by Goodyear -- so upon review of the photos, the liability department at Goodyear corporate agreed with Toyota's assessment. Frankly, I was shocked at how quick they were willing to take ownership of the situation, and they just swiped their credit card today. Icing on the cake -- Toyota provided a rental car (mid-sized SUV) for the ~week I was without my LC.

Re: insurance: just FYI, this door wasn't open for very long. I made a quick call to my agent, and she promptly informed me that there was no use filing a claim, given the issue was purely mechanical in nature (engine failure). She mentioned that had other vehicles been involved, or had an injury taken place, a path toward a claim make have existed -- but since it was just me breaking down on the side of the road, nada.

Moving forward:
Tomorrow AM, I'm driving the rental car back to Miami to reclaim my LC. The bill has already been paid by Goodyear. Is there anything else I should be considering between now and then? Questions for Toyota? LMK!

I've gotta say, I'm feeling super fortunate right now, despite the vacation getting sidetracked a bit. Thanks again guys - see y'all out on the road!

Cheers,
Mike

Awesome news. Happy to hear the positive outcome.

I can't believe all of this was resolved in just over a week. Where am I? What year is it? You've got some major problem solving skills my friend. Glad everything worked out. Let us know how that engine is doing in 6 months, ok?

Thanks for the update

I'd ask them to provide the VIN from the new engine. You should be able to look that up online if you want to confirm it was in fact ~117k on it when it was pulled, and also see if the Carfax or Toyota Owner's website has any vehicle history for that VIN which might indicate any prior issues. I doubt there's any funny business but you never know depending on where they sourced it.

I'm not surprised on the insurance but it was worth asking (I certainly would have asked). I know insurance covered a new engine for indycole when his engine hydrolocked. He was on a state road I believe (not a trail) and his policy covered it (I presume similar to "flood" or other "act of god"). That was the first time I was familiar with an insurance company covering that kind of repair.

Thanks for the update. Great to hear Goodyear stepped up and owned up and addressed the issue. Keep documentation for all the work, including parts and labor.. hopefully not, but just in case you need to reference it later. Give big thanks for the Toyota dealer in Miami for moving so quickly..

This is how it’s supposed to work! Good on Goodyear for stepping up. Not sure it quite causes me to recommend them but definitely reduces the bad taste.

Wow, just wow! I can't believe this was resolved in this manner, fantastic news to the OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom