Hello there (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, its time to bring my cruiser back to life. IT IS TIME! Im 22, got the FJ40 when I was 16... To make a long story short, it broke down (rounded crankshaft tip.. among other things) and has been sitting for quite some time. Honestly I still dont have the money to restore the whole thing but Id like to get it back on the road asap. First question:

Im in need of a new frame! Yes, Im stupid enough to go the distance, and NO "Its not for sale". I wonder how many times Ive said that..

Anyway, Frames...
Are used frames logical, and where can you get them?

Aftermarket frames: Expensive? I dunno, Matkins wont freaking answer the phone..

Frame repair? Many people here feel that the damage (rust) is repairable. However I really hate the idea of messing with the frame. Way too many incorrect welders around these parts..

Hello there:3 FRAME QUESTIONS

Well, its time to bring my cruiser back to life. IT IS TIME! Im 22, got the FJ40 when I was 16... To make a long story short, it broke down (rounded crankshaft tip.. among other things) and has been sitting for quite some time. Honestly I still dont have the money to restore the whole thing but Id like to get it back on the road asap. First question:

Im in need of a new frame! Yes, Im stupid enough to go the distance, and NO "Its not for sale". I wonder how many times Ive said that..

Anyway, Frames...
Are used frames logical, and where can you get them?

Aftermarket frames: Expensive? I dunno, Matkins wont freaking answer the phone..

Frame repair? Many people here feel that the damage (rust) is repairable. However I really hate the idea of messing with the frame. Way too many incorrect welders around these parts..

Cruiser Solutions makes reapair parts for the frame (mainly the rear, but you can replace the whole rear).

if the frame is rusted that bad, how is the body on top of it

i dont know that its worth putting an old rusty body on a new frame..

im 22 aswell so i know about the tight budget.. we need photos !

Im heading down tomarow to where my FJ40 is so I'll be sure to take a few photos of the damaged area.

The damage is pretty bad. The body looks good, but there is a considerable amount of rust underneath where the seat frame is bolted to the body. I imagine I'll have to get a new floor welded in as well.. Whatever it takes!

First off, I bought this cruiser when I was younger. Hell, I didnt even know what an FJ40 was. I also bought it from a relative of mine (late 20somthing distant cousin) at a good price. With that being said, I later found out he basically contructed one Land Cruiser out of two. He even went as far as to repair the front of the damaged LC frame with another front (better) section off of the more damaged of the two. So basically behind the front shackles and in front of the centerline of the front tires I have where one frame ends and another starts. Scary isnt it? A poor welding job and some idiotic engineering leaves me with a frame that is deteriorating all the way across the frame horizontally in front of the tires and beind the shackles. What have I gotten myself into...

Anyway, so thats my frame story. Any advice?

I also am picking up a parts FJ (not sure of year yet) in a few weeks when it warms up a little up here. I want the disc front end off of it, but the frame is good. It would mean a road trip unfortunately. Maybe you will find someone closer too you with one. If the frame that you have has already been pieced together, I would be cautious about trying to get it back together correctly. I suspect a new one will be pricey though.

I would try a guy in NC RK Burke. I got my frame and body from him a few years back for 100 bucks.

He is on this board once in a while but the user name escapes me. Roxboro NC is the location.

He and his dad have some cool stuff there. Hes a good guy too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom