Hello ih8mud#80series – meet my Landies! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all!

Just checking in by way of an intro. Judging from some of the posts here some of you guys like Landies almost as much as I do 😉! I am currently gearing up for an HDJ78 or -79, but right now these are my rigs:
(1) '91 HZJ80 (GXL trim) with turbocharged & intercooled 1HZ engine; manual transmission (what else!?) & locking hubs
(2) '97 HDJ80 (VX trim) with intercooled 1HDT-FE engine (yes, really); manual transmission (because otherwise ... what's the point?) & locking hubs
Most other exterior specs should be obvious from the photos below (I'll let you figure out which = which 📐).

See y'all off-the-road,
- djJelt.

HDJ80.jpg
HZJ80.jpg

Nice looking trucks !! Looks like they’re both setup well. Wish we had better access to diesels here.

Welcome to MUD !!

Hi all!

Just checking in by way of an intro. Judging from some of the posts here some of you guys like Landies almost as much as I do 😉! I am currently gearing up for an HDJ78 or -79, but right now these are my rigs:
(1) '91 HZJ80 (GXL trim) with turbocharged & intercooled 1HZ engine; manual transmission (what else!?) & locking hubs
(2) '97 HDJ80 (VX trim) with intercooled 1HDT-FE engine (yes, really); manual transmission (because otherwise ... what's the point?) & locking hubs
Most other exterior specs should be obvious from the photos below (I'll let you figure out which = which 📐).

See y'all off-the-road,
- djJelt.

View attachment 3291101View attachment 3291110
Sorry that was sloppy of me; above should read GLX trim and 1HD-FTE engine.

Greetings @Devils_Paw_80, @COYS, @mudgudgeon:

For what it's worth I've seen regional differences in the lexicon around 'Landie'. Generally speaking I've found 'Landie' to be in common use to denote both LandCruisers and LandRovers in English-speaking parts of the Southern Hemisphere, which is mostly where I have used them.

(1) I reckon 'LandCruiser' is quite the mouth-full
(2) I'm not gonna say 'Cruiser', because given the state of the US market, that would call to mind a curvy gasoline-powered vehicle lacking a solid front axle :)
(3) Where I come from (Africa), 'Landies' covers both LandRovers and LandCruisers and I kind of enjoy the good-natured rivalry this evokes :)
(4) @mudgudgeon: interesting to see what you wrote; when I worked out in outback Western Australia for 7 years, we enthusiastically called the 70series used in mining exploration 'Landies' too. Do you think that is maybe specific to the Ozi mining sector?
(5) I currently live on a small island near the US-Canada border, where as far as I can tell, Landies [both Japanese and British-Indian kinds] are so rare nobody even knows the difference :)

The opening lines of this Classic Driver article from Jan 2014 more or less captures my impression of the situation: Is the Toyota Land Cruiser the best 'Landie'? - https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/cars/toyota-land-cruiser-best-landie

Anyway, I a rookie to this forum and will abide by its nomenclature!
- djJelt.

nobody even knows the difference :)

Unless you're a car enthusiast caught up in the world of 4wd car culture, most aren't gonna know.

I think in Australia it comes down to brand rivalry/loyalty.

"What I have is better than what you have"

Ford = Fix Or Repair Daily
Holden = Hope Our Luck Doesn't End Now

Nissan poo-trol
Toyota Land-loser
Toyota Play-Doh
Itsabitshitty Pajero for a Pajero
Landie . . .

See, there's a theme :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom