Hello From Northern BC! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello From Northern BC! HDJ81

Howdy! Just a quick intro. I've been lurking on this site for a while and have found an amazing amount of info (can you say addiction :eek:). I bought a 1990 HDJ81 from KK Trading in Japan and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival. Kohei, the owner has been great to deal with, although he has both my money and my truck... You can see some photo of it here http://www.kktrading-aurora.com/LANDCRUISER_HDJ81_1287.htm If the reconditioning doesn't eat my entire budget, I'm going to start with the 'ol 2.5"OME lift, ARB bumper and some lights to give me a fighting chance against these northern swamp donkeys. I'd like to add an aluminum roof rack and maybe some steelies and MT's after that... You see a lot of these imports cruising around BC now, but up here in the Peace River area (Chetwynd) they are still relatively rare (if you don't drive a pickup, you're a hippie).

Glad to be here!

Jon

Last edited:
Beautiful truck, you must be very anxious!

Doesn't it have a small lift already? I like the stance personally...

I'm also looking at importing an 81. You've been happy with KK?

Congrats!

Thanks...very anxious indeed. I am driving my family nuts!

So far so good with KK. He sends a lot of photos of stuff he thinks you should see. His aim is to make sure you are not surprised with anything He is also very patient and will photograph anything you would like to see. He is retrofitting some matching 3rd seats for me, and has removed that terrible purple window tinting. He took it to Toyota to have some old recall work done to it. Next he is working on the re-conditioning and fixing a bit of paint damage (from the acid rain in Japan) and then it should be into a container and on it's way!

nice score. i was looking at one of their other HDJ81's. didnt get an email back from them though..hmm.

how does he retrofit the 3rd row seats? what did they charge you for it? im also looking to get into an 80, but it HAS to have the 3rd row seats which isnt available on the diesels.

any idea on how long till the truck is in a container and on its way here?

Yeah I think he's pretty busy, but he's been good at emailing. He said there were a lot of 3rd row seats available over there from the gas models. The seats were an extra 50,000 JPY installed. About CAD$450. He's done it before and says it's pretty straight forward. Not sure if it's a simple bolt in, or more complicated than that. He said it should be a couple of weeks to get it out Japan, a couple of weeks at sea, then probably a couple of more weeks until it's ready to pick up in Van. He certainly didn't commit to the timeline, and it seems like it can be a bit of a wait to get it on board in Japan.

hrmm...good to know. from my search here on mud it wasnt a simple bolt in mod to retrofit the 3rd row seat to a non 3rd row seater 80 (at least here in N.A anyway.) maybe the jdm's are all prewired for the 3rd row seats and have the proper anchor points on the floor and D pillar. wonder if its DOT approved?

were you strictly in email correspondence? or did you speak via phone. i've always been hesitant to ring JP, unless i know the person on the other line is good with engrish. Whom exactly were you speaking to re: the 3rd row seat retrofit?

dont mean to fill your thread with banter, but i've yet to see someone in the same situation as me wanting 3rd seat + diesel...so you might just be my new best mud friend! i see you also have a 99 runner...i've got a built 98 thats getting too small.

ive got more questions for ya..i'll save for PM though...

cheersch :beer:

I'm not sure they are pre-wired, thinking back to a couple of 81's I looked at in Van. I pulled the carpet back and don't 'remember' seeing any anchor points. I will let you know of any details on it as I get them. DOT approved?...don't know about that. I did ask him specifically about the past installations and if they passed inspection in BC. He said they did, but a shop might not tune into something like that either. I haven't phoned for the same reason as you. It can get awkward in hurry :doh:. I've emailed only with Kohei, the owner, and exchanged about 15 emails, and 40 extra photos.

Hi nice rig. I would say The number one thing to do is the bigend bearings. Theirs one other thing you should see if you can get if your rig dose not already have it is the winter spec toyota factory rad cover or winter front. Mine has a little pull down cover just inside the grill Its just one of those neat things to have. you will need one any ways being from up that way. Hope you enjoy :beer:

Hi, thanks! The BEB's are definately first up. That's a good idea on the rad cover...I will check to see if it has that.

Cool, another Big Wagon in BC.

And another diesel to make my "rare" gasser all the more collectible!

Welcome to Mud from Southern BC!:flipoff2:

A good friend imported his HJ61 from KK and was happy with the deal. That was over 3 years ago- good to hear they're still rolling along. I remember the communication back and forth was excellent.

As Yuppy said- good to have another 80 North of 49. In case you didn't notice he has a little Diesel envy...:D. I've got a gasser and a diesel to avoid just that...

To the Canadians: what sort of mpg do you get our of your 81's? Other than the increase mpg, what other advantages, or disadvantages are there to owning a diesel 81? There was another poster today, neuroguy who was thinking about swapping engines from gas to diesel, and may have some similar questions.

I bought a 1990 HDJ81 from KK Trading in Japan and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival.

congrats - looks nice - I remember when mine was coming over - I found a ship tracking page and every day I would check to see where the Green Dale was - on the final day, I drove down to Clover Point to watch it pass - pretty sad, but I was pretty pumped - enjoy!

To the Canadians: what sort of mpg do you get our of your 81's?
about 14l/100km unadjusted for 33" tyres; I think that Wayne reported 25mpg (I suspect Imperial gallons)

-Steve

hope you have her in time for plenty of winter driving - i have the sister rig to yours in nearly every way inside out - i've put close to 80k now without a hicup - knock on simulated woodgrain dash.

I doubt you'll have much to do other than what's been posted - i found that the ol' satellite radio takes care of the fm band issues - my importer did the headlights (read up on bulb threads as most 80 and 81s have sucky illumination - but brights are fantastic) and service stuff and I lucked out with dot approved tread nearly new... she'll be a sweet ride on the highway and take you pretty much anywhere!

somebody asked about mpg - i've always got better than 20mpg and when highway driving 24mpg is normal. my boss has the new ford f350 twin turbo - swweet truck to drive if you can afford a little better than 10mpg but his doesn't flash up the way the 81's do - these diesels fire up without delay before the key turns back to orig. postition - even minus 30 doesn't change that much.

(I tossed the blingy bullbar and rear ladder- sold the roof rack and went with Yakima bars for a RTT - pulled off the front bumper for clearance and looks fine with the Aisin winch - and now going to play with wheels)

When do you get behind the wheel?

Cheers and best of luck!

Lance 003.jpg
Lance 003.jpg

congrats - looks nice - I remember when mine was coming over - I found a ship tracking page and every day I would check to see where the Green Dale was - on the final day, I drove down to Clover Point to watch it pass - pretty sad, but I was pretty pumped - enjoy!

-Steve

Hahahaha! That sounds like something I would do! :D

I'll have to find the ship tracking website!

hope you have her in time for plenty of winter driving - i have the sister rig to yours in nearly every way inside out - i've put close to 80k now without a hicup - knock on simulated woodgrain dash.

I doubt you'll have much to do other than what's been posted - i found that the ol' satellite radio takes care of the fm band issues - my importer did the headlights (read up on bulb threads as most 80 and 81s have sucky illumination - but brights are fantastic) and service stuff and I lucked out with dot approved tread nearly new... she'll be a sweet ride on the highway and take you pretty much anywhere!

somebody asked about mpg - i've always got better than 20mpg and when highway driving 24mpg is normal. my boss has the new ford f350 twin turbo - swweet truck to drive if you can afford a little better than 10mpg but his doesn't flash up the way the 81's do - these diesels fire up without delay before the key turns back to orig. postition - even minus 30 doesn't change that much.

(I tossed the blingy bullbar and rear ladder- sold the roof rack and went with Yakima bars for a RTT - pulled off the front bumper for clearance and looks fine with the Aisin winch - and now going to play with wheels)

When do you get behind the wheel?

Cheers and best of luck!

View attachment 190675

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be driving it shortly into the new year. We passed an 81RHD heading south to Prince George this evening on our way back to Chetwynd. My wife rolled her eyes because she knew I'd be talking about it the whole way home.

Great looking unit you've got. I'm starting to think about doing the same as you. Tossing the bullbar and going with the stock bumper. At least until I've had it a little while. So many decisions...Glad to hear it's competent in the cold!

Welcome fellow BCer.....:flipoff2:

Hi there, did you ever get your truck from KK trading? I'm thinking of doing same, wondering if everything went ok...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom