Hella 4000 Eurobeam vs Hella 500 Driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The title pretty much says it all. I've had a set of 500s in the past and like most, i really liked them and you cant really argue with the price but i'm thinking about going to 4000s in a eurobeam for my 80. I've searched and see where some people are disappointed with the 4000 eurobeam. Like I said, i was very pleased with the 500s and i'm just wondering if the 4000s are worth the extra coin.

Thanks!!

I haven't had the 500s, but I currently have the 4000s (eurobeam) mounted on the ARB. I am very happy with amount of light they put out.

The only negative comment I saw on your link was from airlaird.....Steve (airlaird) is very....picky about his cruiser and what goes on it (bless his heart). If you saw it, you would understand.

Chris

There is no comparison between the 4000 and the 500 lamps, they are in entirely different categories. If you liked the 500's you will love the 4000's. Make sure that you buy the new Free Form version that came out last fall. They run $300 a pair instead of $240, but they are nearly twice as efficient, meaning they will put as much light out the front of the lamp with a 55watt bulb as a the old style would with a 100 watt lamp. Here is a link with them.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/4000.asp

I installed a single Eurobeam free form 3000 on my bumper next to a Fog 3000 when I first bought the Cruiser in '93. The idea was these lights were so effective a single would do the job for either function. After a couple months, the Euro turned out to be so bright it was impractical for road use - light blowback from freeway signs, night blind when you shut it down for traffic, etc - that I removed it and replaced it with another fog. Still sitting in a box somewhere.

So yeah, you'll like them.

DougM

I also think very highly of the 4000s. I had a set on my FJ40 and loved them! A few guys in our club teased me on a couple of night runs that I had turned the sun back on.;) Good lights. They must have been jealous because one of them spotted me into a rock that took out one of them, and the following night on another night run someone else backed into the other one rendering me lightless :(

Buckums, airlaird here..get the 4000's After a few weeks with them I began liking them better as I raised them at a higher angle. Also, I will probably get the 130 watt bulbs soon. For the price, they turned out pretty good for me.
airlaird

Buckums, airlaird here..get the 4000's After a few weeks with them I began liking them better as I raised them at a higher angle. Also, I will probably get the 130 watt bulbs soon. For the price, they turned out pretty good for me.
airlaird

great! I'm sold on the 4000s now. so the question now is FF or non FF+130 watt bulbs? also, with this light do you guys recomend the Hella wiring or would it be ok to run slee's? i was considering upgrading to slee's upgrade harness when i did the lights, but i'm kind of electronicly impaired - will i need both or will just the upgrade harnes do the trick?

Thanks!

Well they come with 100 watt bulbs. you can't run them in city driving because you'll blind oncoming drivers....so since that is the case, go for the 130 watt bulbs. Again, I will get those bulbs as well someday.
airlaird

I installed a single Eurobeam free form 3000 on my bumper next to a Fog 3000 when I first bought the Cruiser in '93. The idea was these lights were so effective a single would do the job for either function. After a couple months, the Euro turned out to be so bright it was impractical for road use - light blowback from freeway signs, night blind when you shut it down for traffic, etc - that I removed it and replaced it with another fog. Still sitting in a box somewhere.

So yeah, you'll like them.

DougM
Sorry in advance for the threadjack.

Doug - Do you run the Hella fogs with your low beams or high beams? If mounted on the ARB, are they too high and bright to run with your low beams?
I'd like some auxillary illumination for very dark rural highways at night. Even better if I don't have to shut them down every time I approach other traffic.

i was planning on tapping them into my high beams where they come on when i turn on my high beams only.

Sorry in advance for the threadjack.

Doug - Do you run the Hella fogs with your low beams or high beams? If mounted on the ARB, are they too high and bright to run with your low beams?
I'd like some auxillary illumination for very dark rural highways at night. Even better if I don't have to shut them down every time I approach other traffic.

Hah, Doug doesn't drive at night--both of his cruisers are tucked away in the garage with a bed time story and wax every night before 7pm:D :D

I got the Hella harness, it's very nice. Look for a seller on Ebay, kozb4 or something like that. I got two 4000's with euro lights, clear shields, harness and shipping for $230.

I got mine from the same guy. Got the lights and harness in a couple of days. Took about an hour to install with the harness.

great price.

the guy says that the lights have FF lens technology....is this the same as the free form 4000's listed on hella's website?

Whew, boy are my arms tired. Just got done removing the heated blankets from the 80s and giving them their morning rubdown and fresh oats. I've gotta find a replacement for Helga soon.

I run the 3000 (non FF) fogs on the 93, the 4000 fogs on the 97. I don't think the 4000s are FF as the fog reflector is simple geometry vs the Euro, Pencil and other beams. Mine have 55w bulbs in them, which is stock. They're both mounted on the ARB.

I drive a lot of rural roads and have experimented with various combos of lights over the years. I have the HIR bulbs famous here on Mud in the high/lows on the 97, and HIR lows, 100w highs on the 93. The fogs on both are completely independent and I can run them with no other lights, or with high beams. With high beams on and the fogs, driving down a dark rural road is relaxing and eyestrain free with a broad even beam out and to the sides for animals, and 3/4 miles down the road for plenty of warning of distant hazards.

Mounting either light on the ARB lower light tabs requires drilling a new hole in the tab and bending it slightly down with a few hammer blows. This helps these large lamps clear the cross bar and gives you enough up/down adjustability.

As for use in traffic, the beams are well controlled but their size will have people flashing you because they see you coming with 4 large lights on. I can use them a lot on our sparsely trafficked roads and on the freeway with wide grass medians as well. HTH

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom